Mar 20, 2002, 08:40 PM
He wasn't always evil
Thread OP

What Video Card?

Hey everbody, I use to be really up on all this computer stuff but got away for awhile, and now, I'm clueless. Our family will be getting a new computer in the near future, and I'm looking for a good video card. I don't know much about the computer, just that it is an HP using windows and that it is pretty high end. I'm not sure what all you need to know, I need something that will run 640x480 resolution (we use a 31" screen). The card should also be able to run higher res too. I mainly am running flight simulators, but also have 1st person shooters etc. What kind of card would you recommend? The price should be reasonable. I'll do some reasearch of my own and drop a few names later!

Thanks!!
-Brett

PS I'm using the Vodoo II right now
Mar 20, 2002, 09:01 PM
He wasn't always evil
Thread OP
Well, after some reasearch the ATi Radeon 8500 (64 MB) looks to be a good buy. Seems to be top quality with a good price. Anybody know of this card?

-Brett
Mar 20, 2002, 11:44 PM
El Queso Grande
I think that either the Radeon 8500 or a GeForce3 would be more than adequate. You really run a 31" monitor at 640x480??? Well ANY card will be able to do that for you. A dual monitor card might be helpful if you run two different ones.
Mar 21, 2002, 10:48 AM
If you are only doing 640x480, you can get a card to do that for about $25.

The higher end cards are for better resolution and higher frame rates. If you are not going to use those features, you are just wasting your money buying something you don't need.

I just bought and Xtasy Everything and it is great. 64 meg for games and great resolution for other apps. I think it was around $125 on ubid
Mar 21, 2002, 04:16 PM
He wasn't always evil
Thread OP
Well, I also do want a video card that will run the higher resolutions. I have a nice 21' screen that I might use. Yes, I do run a 31' on 640x480. Thats's mainly because I it in a leather chair about 8 feet away from the screen. Any better resolution and I can hardly see the icons!

-Brett
Mar 22, 2002, 12:08 AM
I fly, therefore I crash
About 6 months ago I bought a Radeon VE Dual Display card, 32mb and got the right one. It plugs into the APG slot and has both an Analog and a digital output. The digital output also has a digital to Analog adapter, which is what I needed. I bought a second cheap monitor at a used computer store and run both monitors off the one AGP card. It is great to have the two when I need to have several windows open at the same time.

The software didn't suit me so I deleted it all out and my windows 98 recognizes the two monitors. No problem. Now I just need to figure out what to do with the old card!

Quick Reply