Aug 17, 2019, 03:49 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Thread OP
Build Log

Ritewing RC Nano Drak

What better way to get motivated about flying than a new design to assemble and add to the fleet. Ritewing RC has been know for a number of years for their great flying aircraft. No matter if their kits are built for business or recreation, they deliver.

The Nano Drak is the latest offering, and from looking the kit over they nailed it. It’s literally a nano version of the full size Drak, which is known for being quite a workhorse in the FPV field. Like my full sized Drak, I plan on constructing my Nano just for fun flying, but there’s no reason someone couldn’t add FPV gear to their liking. Like it’s counterpart, the Nano has equipment bays cleverly molded into various areas to allow customizing as the user sees fit. On top of that, different configurations can be constructed. Say you don’t want just a flying wing, Ritewing has available a boom extension so a conventional elevator can be added to assist in balance or just for the cool factor. Another thing that I feel is going to be something I really want to play with is both a short and a long wing version. I really want to try a short version speed demon as well as the longer wing for a lighter wing loading.

For everyone's information, this thread is intended to be build instructions for the Nano. I have been model building for about fifty years and a RC driver for about forty so I’ll do my best to included as much detail as possible. I will edit and add additional information as it become available such as weight of build etc. Feel free to reference and ask questions about the assembly as well as posting photos from your own Nano builds. I do not work for Ritewing but I do have connections with the company as my son works there.

Nano Drak specs.

C/G – TBD
Wingspan – short wing – 28 inch
Wingspan – long wing – 40 inch
3 channel
2 servos 3 with tail boom extension
Weight TBD

Equipment used.
Motor – RitewingRC D2212-2450
esc – RitewingRC Opto 45amp

Some adhesive recommendations
Shoe goo
Goop (Plumbing)
Starbond thick CA (Through Amazon)

For additional information on construction techniques. See Team Legit's build video on the Mini Drak. Thanks Team Legit.

Preorders are being filled and delivered now. Contact http://ritewingrc.com/ to preorder yours. RitewingRC dealer links coming soon.
Last edited by eliworm; Aug 25, 2019 at 04:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 17, 2019, 03:50 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Thread OP
After you have familiarized yourself with the parts in the Nano it’s time to begin construction. The first thing you will want to do is remove the excess foam from the injection points due to manufacturing. Be sure to use a very sharp cutter to avoid any tear out of the foam. I used a single edged razor blade but a better choice would be a snap off blade knife or equivalent.
Last edited by eliworm; Aug 25, 2019 at 04:16 PM.
Aug 17, 2019, 03:51 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Thread OP
Locate the forward and aft carry through spars. Note that you will want to remove the spar from spar sleeves. The spars do not get cut so set them aside. The sleeves will be cut then bonded into the left and right wings as well as the center fuselage. The lengths are equal to the width of the fuselage as well as the length of the wing slots. The goal is to have each sleeve flush with the wing roots accordingly.

When you bond the sleeves into the wings and fuselage, take note to make sure they are seated all the way into the slot. This is important to make sure you have a smooth transition for inserting the spars into the sleeve for an accurate alignment for wing removal.
Last edited by eliworm; Aug 25, 2019 at 04:35 PM.
Aug 17, 2019, 03:52 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Thread OP
Locate the provided foam strips to be used as filler material for the spar slots. This foam not only fills the voids but also adds a tremendous amount of strength to the spar, so take the time to bond them in thoroughly. Once dry, trim excess foam flush with fuselage and wings.
Last edited by eliworm; Aug 25, 2019 at 04:40 PM.
Aug 25, 2019, 04:48 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Thread OP
Bond the diamond shaped hard points into the vertical fins in there precut positions.
Last edited by eliworm; Aug 26, 2019 at 12:33 AM.
Aug 26, 2019, 07:12 AM
Nice, looking forward to more content. Nice Job. My ND should be here Tuesday
Last edited by Claytonbakerjr; Aug 26, 2019 at 07:21 AM.
Aug 31, 2019, 04:32 PM
Multi RC Aircraft User!!
Following
Sep 06, 2019, 07:08 PM
Looking very good:-) Your build looks clean and precise. I am getting antsy to get my own Nano.
Håvard
Oct 12, 2019, 09:12 AM
Why did this just stop?
Oct 17, 2019, 05:26 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Thread OP
I'm actually moving right along. I got behind on a few projects that needed to be addressed. Stay tuned.

Jim
Oct 18, 2019, 07:15 AM
Are you going to laminate any of the wing surface? i keep reading mixed feelings on this topic.
the larger drak's came with laminate for the elevons.

or goop the nano surfaces completely?
Last edited by djbordie; Oct 18, 2019 at 10:16 AM.

Quick Reply