Aug 17, 2019, 09:03 AM
Thread OP
Question

Small wing on canopy:

Why do some pattern planes have a small wing on top of the canopy
Last edited by warrensawdust; Aug 17, 2019 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Question not in forum
to remove ads between posts
Aug 17, 2019, 09:08 AM
f5b-uk
Classic pattern planes (this forum) do not have wings on top of the canopy. The modern F3A pattern models do.

F3A pattern forum
Aug 17, 2019, 10:35 AM
DavidsPlanes
Last edited by doxilia; Aug 18, 2019 at 02:19 PM.
Aug 18, 2019, 01:45 PM
The only thing the canalizer does is to keep air from spilling off the fuse in knife edge flight. It does nothing to the airflow over the tail surfaces.
Aug 18, 2019, 02:47 PM
A man with too many toys
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrensawdust
Why do some pattern planes have a small wing on top of the canopy
It's a useless feature that is designed to trick you into buying something that you don't need.

Aug 18, 2019, 07:17 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
It's a useless feature that is designed to trick you into buying something that you don't need.

Not totally useless. I remember seeing a video that Bossee posted. The camera was facing some yarn tufts at the tail with and without the canalizer. It helped straighten the airfoil and showed less turbulent air.

So if you don't mind guppy looking plane and wanted the last .05 percent of advantage over your competitor you go with what is the trend. At least if you don't have it you feel that the tail is not as smooth during knife edge flight. So you win psychologically. It is all about monkeys see, monkeys do.
Aug 18, 2019, 08:23 PM
Psycological mindset can be very important when competing, even if whichever feature in your plane is giving you that mindset doesnt really do sh..., or very little sh...
Last edited by RC YEAGER; Aug 18, 2019 at 11:34 PM.
Aug 19, 2019, 04:44 AM
Bo Edstrom, Sweden
Hi,
Some new F3A planes has also a small belly wing in addition to the small top wing (canalizer).
Cristophe Paysant-Le Roux (CPLR) just won the World Championships F3A in Italy with such plane, his new Oreka:

http://www.hy-f3a.com/index.php?m=co...=lists&catid=1

The belly wing should also help direct the airflow more parallel to the fuselage, it might have some other beneficial effects that I'm unaware of.

It is also interesting to see the very swept wing on the Oreka plane as well as the use of wing tip plates (fences).

I guess we will see more planes now with dual small wings (top+belly), more swept wings and wing plates - follow the leader You know…

I have myself a plane with rather large top wing, it is a Galactika EP (forerunner of Oreka one could say). I have flown it for 4 seasons.

The videos that SeismicCWave mentioned, that shows the effect on the airstream without and with a top wing is here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...2#post38028364

/Bo
Aug 19, 2019, 07:12 AM
DavidsPlanes
Since all that is old is new again, it won’t be long before F3A championships will be won by a Fokker Dr.I triplane.

David
Aug 19, 2019, 08:02 AM
Bo Edstrom, Sweden
It was a triplane at the WC in Italy, but pilot did not make it to the final with his ZeuS, he came 19th in the semifinals:

http://fiam.ilpistone.com/wc19/category/photos/

(about 40 photos down the page it is several photos of this triplane)

There is a flight video of it also at the WC in Italy but I have forgot where I saw that video.

/Bo
Aug 19, 2019, 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxilia
Since all that is old is new again, it won’t be long before F3A championships will be won by a Fokker Dr.I triplane.

David
True... maybe it'll all reach a point where there will be 3 wings in the horizontal plane, five smaller wings in the vertical plane,,three fins, 2 canalizer above, 3 below, gyros on all axis allowed, et all. Then everyone will be able to get 1000.00 points on every flight and judges will have to award first place based on which plane has the best finish ( which of course will be actually a prize to the company who sells the plane, since the fliers dont build them).

If this all sounds ridiculous, its because it is. But, thats about where were slowly heading to.
Aug 19, 2019, 04:46 PM
Nah,
Joseph S. (US pilot) flew an Alchemy, just your basic big fuselage monoplane with Zero aerodynamic 'gimmicks' and placed 11th. Actually, he should have been in the finals but there was a normalization screw-up which cost him 10th place after the semis. Allegedly the FAI sent him a letter of apology... didn't the NFL send New Orleans a letter of apology, too?
The very demanding knife edge maneuvers require a lot of lateral area and rudder authority. Really only necessary for F3A competition, but if it is available we must have it :-)
Aug 19, 2019, 05:22 PM
Oxford Panic
Sebart has gone one stage further...
Aug 19, 2019, 10:09 PM
OMG! Why even bother to tuck the turtle deck (I feel funny calling it that) downwards about 3 inches only to bring it back up into the vertical fin. Might as well go straight back in one fell swoop into the fin, make the fuse one whole straight tall sideways wing. Ugliest thing Ive ever seen. Sorry!
Aug 20, 2019, 02:58 AM
Bo Edstrom, Sweden
As the manouvres in FAI F3A gets harder and harder to perform the more strange planes it seems to give birth to among the designers. In my personal view I think we have a handful of the ugliest planes now and all belong to some top FAI F3A flyers. Even if these planes fly well it is kind of bad for the sport when those ugly planes are shown at competitions, I'm sure ordinary RC flyers and non RC flyers that watch such competitions really wonder what the... is this really. FAI could perhaps make some changes to the flight manouvres in the Final and Unknown to not encourage that biplane and maybe triplanes could get any advantage over monoplanes. It seems flyers and designers based on the FAI F3A manouvres can get some advantages with biplanes and maybe triplanes?. The planes with both top and belly wings can be said to be triplane also in my opinion. One can wonder if current trend continue how the F3A planes will look like in the future? I doubt we will see that many beauty queens, I'm afraid.

/Bo
Last edited by bossee; Aug 20, 2019 at 03:10 AM.

Quick Reply