Aug 16, 2019, 11:42 PM
SBSS, SVSS, SCCMAS, EBRC
Thread OP
Contest

F5J in Hollister -- Sept 14-15, 2019

It is less than a month away from the Dave Murphy Memorial Contest in Hollister, California.

Registration open: http://www.f3xevents.com/

Posted at the F5J-USA calendar: http://www.f5j-usa.com/calendar/ as part of the F5J USA Tour.

Entry fee is $40. Many stay at the Hollister Inn a few miles from the field.

The pilots meeting will be at 8:45 with first round targeted for 9 a.m. We will get as many rounds in within daylight limitations and wind. As with other F5J Tour, we will follow the 2020 rule for F5J wind limits with a max 20 mph sustained greater than one minute measured at two meters above ground. If the limit is reached, we will hold up the contest for up to one hour. If still too high, flying is done for that day. Hopefully we won’t need to do this as September is usually less windy in the afternoons.

There will be five lanes set up and if we do a flyoff, it will have a maximum of five positions.
Again, as with other F5J Tour events, motor restarts will be allowed but result in a zero flight score.

Lunch may be purchased for $15 each day. On Saturday we will have the same fantastic burritos we had last year and on Sunday Subway sandwiches – three varieties of each and include a drink. Complimentary water will be provided for both days.

The field will be open for practice on Friday.

Hope to see you there,

Don
Last edited by Don McCullough; Sep 04, 2019 at 12:34 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 19, 2019, 12:11 PM
I just signed up!

If we can't camp at the site, is there a close campground people will be staying at?

I may just stay at a hotel; where do people tend to stay?
Aug 19, 2019, 01:54 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Hi Bob, I stay at Hollister Inn (www.hollisterinn.com). Nice place very close to the field. Last year I paid $109/nite + tax. Not sure what prices are now.
Aug 19, 2019, 04:16 PM
SBSS, SVSS, SCCMAS, EBRC
Thread OP

Registration Now Open

You can register at http://www.f3xevents.com/

Entry fee is $40.

Don
Aug 20, 2019, 10:52 AM

More Info on Hollister F5J

http://sbss.org/F5J-in-Hollister
Aug 20, 2019, 07:30 PM
SBSS, SVSS, SCCMAS, EBRC
Thread OP

Start Time

Let's leave the start time open. There is less afternoon wind in September. Once we have a better handle on the number of participants we can set the time.

Don
Aug 21, 2019, 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McGowan
I just signed up!

If we can't camp at the site, is there a close campground people will be staying at?

I may just stay at a hotel; where do people tend to stay?
Anybody have any experience camping at this camp ground:.
Hollister Hills State Vehicular Recreation Area
It's close 10 minutes
Rick
Sep 04, 2019, 12:33 AM
SBSS, SVSS, SCCMAS, EBRC
Thread OP

Less Than Two Weeks to Go

This contest is less than two weeks away. So far, we have ten pilots signed up for this event. Hopefully we will get more to enjoy our large grass field for two days of fun.

The pilots meeting will be at 8:45 with first round targeted for 9 a.m. We will get as many rounds in within daylight limitations and wind. As with other F5J Tour, we will follow the 2020 rule for F5J wind limits with a max 20 mph sustained greater than one minute measured at two meters above ground. If the limit is reached, we will hold up the contest for up to one hour. If still too high, flying is done for that day. Hopefully we won’t need to do this as September is usually less windy in the afternoons.

There will be five lanes set up and if we do a flyoff, it will have a maximum of five positions.
Again, as with other F5J Tour events, motor restarts will be allowed but result in a zero flight score.

Lunch may be purchased for $15 each day. On Saturday we will have the same fantastic burritos we had last year and on Sunday Subway sandwiches – three varieties of each and include a drink. Complimentary water will be provided for both days.

The field will be open for practice on Friday.

Hope to see you there,

Don
Sep 08, 2019, 09:02 PM
SBSS, SVSS, SCCMAS, EBRC
Thread OP

Hollister Flying Field

For those of you who have not been to our field, here is a picture taken on Thursday of one on our flyers, Peter Rasmussen, landing his new Xplorer.

Hope to see you there.

Don
Last edited by Don McCullough; Sep 12, 2019 at 10:14 AM.
Sep 15, 2019, 05:19 PM
SBSS, SVSS, SCCMAS, EBRC
Thread OP

Sunglasses Left at Field

Describe them and I will mail them to you.

Don

Quick Reply