Aug 19, 2019, 05:26 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
A bit more but modern
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=677
to remove ads between posts
Aug 19, 2019, 06:17 PM
Wayne Wimbish
Maybe, but $150 more than the Flitz and higher shipping costs as well.

I fly the Vortex3, NXT, and the Flitz2. I love the Vortex3 but the other 2 are still very potent birds as well.

A nearly new Flitz2 just back from the worlds for $600 is a very good deal.

Wayne
Latest blog entry: Paying for Purchases by PayPal
Aug 20, 2019, 09:12 AM
I have a almost brand new Bravo models Maia DLG rtf with kst servos, wing covers and full ballast kit -for sale. (575.00). Over 900 .00 invested - only 3 months old

If you buy a taranis x-lite , qx7 or inexpensive new taranis 9 channel radio - I would offer to set it up and test fly it.

I would need your taranis based radio to do this.

This DLG is like new- never damaged or crashed - I just got it about 3 months ago- really nice fling ship and versatile with the included factory ballast kit.

Thanks , Jack

See my ad here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...LG-%282019-%29
Aug 20, 2019, 09:38 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwimbish
Having reread your flight experience and seeing now the type of radio equipment you are flying, I would say that you can step into any dlg you are will to spend the $$ on. I still recommend getting something built and used in the $400-600 range as a first step, and what happened to your ix12 is the very reason why. It really hurts when these things get damaged (for whatever reason) and I like to recommend something that will lessen the sting, at least the first time out, until you have been around dlgs long enough to have an idea what you really want.

My recommendations now for you would be to get a used Stream NXT, Flitz2, Snipe (1or2), or Fireblade2. There is actually a pretty good deal on a lightly used Flitz2 strong from an Israel F3K Worlds team pilot. see https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfi...0+0748+0144+13

If you were to get it, I would suggest replacing the rudder servo with another Bluebird same as the elevator servo.

You might want to PM 'roydor' as he was on Team Israel as well and probably knows Michael and this actual model very well. (I treat Roy's word as gold.)

Keep looking and you can probably have something ready to go by the time your ix12 gets fixed.

Good hunting,
Wayne
Wayne,

Thanks for the input. I'd love to have that Flitz2, but if it ends up going to someone else, so be it. I have a feeling that it's going to be a little bit before I can have a working radio - the dad is being rather cavalier about his child breaking the radio and hemming and hawing. The mom actually said, "Well, if you hadn't set it down where he could grab it..." *sigh*

I've always been a little leery of buying used planes because you don't know what you're getting, exactly (has it crashed? Was it repaired properly? Do the servos work, or has one got a broken gear/short?), but on this, I might have to reconsider, at least for the first one.
Aug 20, 2019, 10:05 AM
Lift is where you find it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprzout
Wayne,
I've always been a little leery of buying used planes because you don't know what you're getting, exactly (has it crashed? Was it repaired properly? Do the servos work, or has one got a broken gear/short?), but on this, I might have to reconsider, at least for the first one.

Every DLG that I've owned (except for my first- a TopSky v1) has been used, and my luck with those has been great. Competetive DLG fliers are an interesting lot, and if they think someone has a more competitive plane than they currently fly, they have to have one too. As a result it's not too hard to buy a nice plane that's a year or so old at bargain basement prices. Already built and confirmed. Just go to a larger DLG contest and you'll probably find a wide selection to chose from.

You're likely to kill your first DLGs anyway, so if they aren't pristine it doesn't matter much. The flying is the thing. I don't bother with competition myself, so the "latest greatest" isn't high on my list.
Last edited by 2400RDR; Aug 20, 2019 at 11:58 AM.
Aug 20, 2019, 10:09 AM
Wayne Wimbish
Quote:
Wayne,

Thanks for the input. I'd love to have that Flitz2, but if it ends up going to someone else, so be it. I have a feeling that it's going to be a little bit before I can have a working radio - the dad is being rather cavalier about his child breaking the radio and hemming and hawing. The mom actually said, "Well, if you hadn't set it down where he could grab it..." *sigh*

Re: used planes

This is where getting one from a World Class pilot just back from the comps is a good deal. Likely it will be one of their back up models that was lightly flown and has never been damaged. (there are always the perils of shipment but that is what insurance is for.) The Flitz2 from Israel fits that bill nicely and is in your price range. The Vortex3 from David Webb is also a great deal and is on this side of the ocean. It's a better plane but is also a higher price. I fly Vortex3s and if I had the spare cash I would snap it up. (you can see that I've already been nibling.) The Team Canada scheme is gorgeous.

Jack's Maia is an excellent plane and is brand new. It would be a very good choice also.

As for your radio, the lack of responsibility by parents these days is absolutely appalling. Short of threatening legal action I am not sure what you could do. Probably not even covered by your homeowners insurance and if it was the deductible would probably kill you. Hopefully HH will take care of your repairs for a reasonable amount.

Good luck,
Wane
Aug 20, 2019, 10:52 AM
The Mr. Rogers of RC soaring
Quote:
In the RC sailplane game used planes are one of the best ways to go. If you can go to a DLG event (sounds like you are close enough) a great thing to do would be to go, observe, and then ask around if anybody had anything used they wanted to part with. My guess is they would be willing to let you take it for a little bit of a spin first (like they might hand you the transmitter and let you fly it).

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
Aug 20, 2019, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Re: used planes

As for your radio, the lack of responsibility by parents these days is absolutely appalling. Short of threatening legal action I am not sure what you could do. Probably not even covered by your homeowners insurance and if it was the deductible would probably kill you. Hopefully HH will take care of your repairs for a reasonable amount.

Good luck,
Wane

Maybe a good time to switch to Taranis. It's what all of my flying buddies use and there were a lot of them at the last San Felasco contest. They seem to be very popular with the DLG crowd these days.
Aug 20, 2019, 12:29 PM
Wayne Wimbish
Except for being a nightmare to program yourself its a fine piece of hardware. Even with the canned setups available you still have to learn your way around in OpenTx which is not straightforward.

I would suggest that if you have something that you are comfortable with that you stick with it.

my 2 cents,
Wayne
Aug 20, 2019, 03:15 PM
Quote:
Except for being a nightmare to program yourself its a fine piece of hardware. Even with the canned setups available you still have to learn your way around in OpenTx which is not straightforward.

I would suggest that if you have something that you are comfortable with that you stick with it.

my 2 cents,
Wayne

I agree, although it does seem that there are plenty of Taranis folks around willing to help, especially Mickey who has become something of a Taranis guru. LOL

I do think "nightmare" is a subjective term though. I've looked at Taranis and feel that it's astonishingly flexible and quite interesting.
Aug 20, 2019, 03:40 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2400RDR
Maybe a good time to switch to Taranis. It's what all of my flying buddies use and there were a lot of them at the last San Felasco contest. They seem to be very popular with the DLG crowd these days.
Nah, I've got quite a bit in the DSMX field - plenty of foamies and BNFs that I still enjoy flying, not to mention my TinyWhoops that I'm starting to race with (some friends of mine and I are trying to organize a "Brewery Racing League" at some of the local breweries in town - with 5 in a 1/2 mi. radius of where I live, and 15 in the city of Vista, and a slew of others in San Diego County itself, I think we've got an ample area to fly at), it would most likely cost me more than replacing my current radio just to switch. Don't think I haven't thought about it, as I have issues with the ix12, but the investment to swap out receivers is just too high for me to switch out.

On a slightly different path, but still on topic -I'd been practicing throws with my Whipit, and I was able to get it about 40-50 feet up with a simple sidearm. I haven't tried a full rotation yet because the area where I was throwing from seems to be pockmarked with squirrel and gopher holes; it'd be just my luck to put my foot down in one and twist an ankle. I'm sure the larger DLGs will allow me to get up there a decent height, and maybe even further if I can get a full rotation in.
Aug 20, 2019, 07:51 PM
Just pm'd you call Marc
Aug 21, 2019, 10:02 AM
Quote:
I was throwing from seems to be pockmarked with squirrel and gopher holes; it'd be just my luck to put my foot down in one and twist an ankle.
Matt N of the cookie toss has acually done just that once. He taght himself to launch like a beast without even moving!

Anyways if you can make it over to the toss this weekend i have a beater you could fly for the contest as long as were not flying the same round that is. Although i could bind it to a secondary radio i have, if you'd like.
Aug 21, 2019, 05:52 PM
Quote:
Tom,

I might have to make that drive - at the very least, so I can get a look, see what they're like.

Unfortunately, at my Model Aviation Day this past weekend, I set my transmitter down on a table, and a kid immediately picked it up while my back was turned. As I came back around to see him, he dropped it on the ground. One Spektrum ix12, toasted. Needless to say, there was a discussion with the father, and I'm in the process of trying to get it replaced/repaired/reimbursed, but I don't know WHEN that will be...Maybe they'll come through with the ~$650 to replace it, or I can get it repaired through HH for cheaper; I'm waiting to see. I'm out of commission for a while, that's for sure, and the DLG "upgrade" from the Whipit is a pipe dream for the moment.
One of the guys at our club has an ix12 and a couple weeks ago it got hit with a parking block (long story). Broke a gimbal, a couple switches and some other stuff. Took it to HH and they repaired it for $20 bucks. Definitely call them and explain the accident. You might be surprised.
Aug 22, 2019, 11:49 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by drksky
One of the guys at our club has an ix12 and a couple weeks ago it got hit with a parking block (long story). Broke a gimbal, a couple switches and some other stuff. Took it to HH and they repaired it for $20 bucks. Definitely call them and explain the accident. You might be surprised.
Most definitely. I have it sent in for repair; I don't know how bad it is, just waiting for them to tell me and get back to me on it. All I know is it won't turn on now, and I've already checked the battery (it's got a good charge) and tried unplugging and plugging it back in, so we'll see.

Quick Reply