Aug 16, 2019, 06:22 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

DLG bug has bitten...

So, I was at the LHS the other day and I came across the Horizon Hobbies UMX Whipit DLG glider.

For $70, I couldn't pass it up, and I have been having a BLAST chucking that thing around my field and sloping (with what little lift I'm able to pick up on my gentle hill at the field LOL).

Now that I've gotten somewhat proficient at it, I've been contemplating upping my game a little bit and diving into a 1.5m DLG, and I'm looking for recommendations.

Bit of background - I've been a fixed wing pilot for about 3 years now, flying single and twin engine cruisers as well as doing FPV quads, so this was just another avenue for RC flight for me.

So, with that in mind, I'm looking to dip into the DLG world and see about buying one without spending a HUGE chunk of change, and keep it simple for me. Anyone have any suggestions of kits they can point me to? I'd also prefer something that's here in the US because of the tariffs and shipping costs, but if that's where I have to go to keep something in say, sub $700, then so be it (and maybe I'm asking a lot there, I don't know - please correct me if it's not possible to hit that budget!)

I know they can be expensive, but I'm still learning to find the thermals, so I don't want to invest a TON of money into it quite yet. Is there anything that would fit my learning curve and budget?
to remove ads between posts
Aug 16, 2019, 07:41 PM
Welcome the this section of the hobbie!

A great way to start out in the composite dlgs, is to skim thru the sailplane classifieds section theres usually a couple for sale down there.
Also its a good adea to find a few local dlg pilots to fly with they will help get you launching and thermaling in no time! They will also help you tweek your setup to perfection.

Hope this helps and Good luck!
Last edited by sparrow1; Aug 16, 2019 at 07:47 PM.
Aug 16, 2019, 08:34 PM
Some excellent deals in the classifieds at thr moment. Per above. Buy a used one. Ready to fly and find local guys to help out. You will be hooked forever once you hook your first thermal... Welcome to the addiction
Aug 16, 2019, 09:04 PM
plays with toy planes
Ditto all of the above. I'll add that a <$700 used recent-vintage molded carbon ship will be much more durable and a lot easier to repair than you might expect. And unbelievably fun. Enjoy!
Last edited by barry d; Aug 16, 2019 at 09:04 PM. Reason: fun
Aug 16, 2019, 09:21 PM
Just happened to hear about this deal in another DLG thread: http://www.hobbyclub.com/index.php?m...oducts_id=1840
A stellar deal, right at your price point.
Aug 16, 2019, 09:31 PM
Time for me to Fly...
I’d make an offer on this one and see if he’ll cut you a deal without the extra servos. Why? The Flitz 2 is a very nice flying plane and the seller does a very nice job building them.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-MKS75K-servos
Latest blog entry: Something old is new again
Aug 16, 2019, 10:07 PM
Wayne Wimbish
As much as I would like to sell my kit I don't think I would recommend it to someone as a next step up from a whipit, even with prior rc experience.

Something used in the $400-500 range would be more sensible.

Here is a list of better recently posted examples:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...LG-%282019-%29

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...LG-with-servos

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...r-DLG-for-Sale

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...r-DLG-for-Sale

I might also suggest a less expesive 1M kit like the Malibu. With servos you should be able to get in the air around $350.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...DLG-arrived%21

Save the new 1.5M kits and the $700+ deals for your next bird after this. I think the gap is just too far at this point for success.

Thanks,
Wayne
Latest blog entry: Paying for Purchases by PayPal
Aug 16, 2019, 11:41 PM
flyin' fool
The Whipit Wall.

Just a slight breeze and your off into the wild blue ……………………...
Aug 17, 2019, 07:21 AM
Lift is where you find it.
By all means find a mentor especially if you go for a competition ship. DLGs can be complex to set up for proper flight and learning to launch cleanly is a must if you want to avoid the dreaded tip strike. Most of all, have fun!
Aug 17, 2019, 07:48 AM
Time for me to Fly...
I’m all for seeing a newbie save a few bucks and I agree that a cheaper plane is a better choice this time around. Now that I think about it,... I have a local friend that is an amazing builder that has a very low time Predator that I know he wants to sell. If you’re interested, PM me and I’ll put you two together.
Latest blog entry: Something old is new again
Aug 17, 2019, 10:24 AM
Predator is an excellent plane with a lot of upside compared to the Whipit. I sold my old one (Predator, my first 'good' DLG) to a friend and he has progressed now to a V3 and is very glad he did what he did. Good suggestion Wiz and a great way to get another "messed Up"
Cary
Aug 18, 2019, 09:06 AM
Tom Knudtson
Next Saturday there is a DLG contest at El Dorado Regional Park in Long Beach that might interest you. See the thread "El Dorado Cookie Toss in Long Beach – The Best Thing About 2019" in this forum. It would be a good place to ask about used DLGs for sale. Or post in that thread?
Aug 18, 2019, 10:59 PM
I miss DLG competitions. Need to win Powerball and buy small jet.
Aug 19, 2019, 01:53 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK
Next Saturday there is a DLG contest at El Dorado Regional Park in Long Beach that might interest you. See the thread "El Dorado Cookie Toss in Long Beach – The Best Thing About 2019" in this forum. It would be a good place to ask about used DLGs for sale. Or post in that thread?
Tom,

I might have to make that drive - at the very least, so I can get a look, see what they're like.

Unfortunately, at my Model Aviation Day this past weekend, I set my transmitter down on a table, and a kid immediately picked it up while my back was turned. As I came back around to see him, he dropped it on the ground. One Spektrum ix12, toasted. Needless to say, there was a discussion with the father, and I'm in the process of trying to get it replaced/repaired/reimbursed, but I don't know WHEN that will be...Maybe they'll come through with the ~$650 to replace it, or I can get it repaired through HH for cheaper; I'm waiting to see. I'm out of commission for a while, that's for sure, and the DLG "upgrade" from the Whipit is a pipe dream for the moment.
Aug 19, 2019, 04:16 PM
Wayne Wimbish
Having reread your flight experience and seeing now the type of radio equipment you are flying, I would say that you can step into any dlg you are will to spend the $$ on. I still recommend getting something built and used in the $400-600 range as a first step, and what happened to your ix12 is the very reason why. It really hurts when these things get damaged (for whatever reason) and I like to recommend something that will lessen the sting, at least the first time out, until you have been around dlgs long enough to have an idea what you really want.

My recommendations now for you would be to get a used Stream NXT, Flitz2, Snipe (1or2), or Fireblade2. There is actually a pretty good deal on a lightly used Flitz2 strong from an Israel F3K Worlds team pilot. see https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfi...0+0748+0144+13

If you were to get it, I would suggest replacing the rudder servo with another Bluebird same as the elevator servo.

You might want to PM 'roydor' as he was on Team Israel as well and probably knows Michael and this actual model very well. (I treat Roy's word as gold.)

Keep looking and you can probably have something ready to go by the time your ix12 gets fixed.

Good hunting,
Wayne
Latest blog entry: Paying for Purchases by PayPal

Quick Reply