Aug 16, 2019, 11:44 AM
Lookin' up at the centerline
Thread OP
Build Log

Royal's Bleriot kit

Scored a Royal Bleriot kit from the classifieds and did a search for build threads.
Like most of the 60's and 70's kits the instructions are slim with 99% of the info on the plans.
The two other build threads don't actually show how it's built, so I decided to give it a shot and let the results be seen by anyone interested.

It's exciting because there are no guarantees for success.
The whole thing may ball up into a huge mess that winds up in the can.
If someone tries to build one later on, and this thread helps them avoid tragedy, that'll be great.

First thing we do is set the box on the bench and take a photo.
Then we open it and take a photo.
Good or bad, it'll never look like this again.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 16, 2019, 01:35 PM
Good looking Cook+Maid needed
Following along
Aug 16, 2019, 02:10 PM
Following. Very interested to see how it goes together. The build really offers so many variations in power plant, covering etc.
Aug 16, 2019, 03:22 PM
Thread OP
Yup.
Some have very different kingposts, tail wheels vrs tailskids etc.
I'll stick to the stock kit so that the experimenters will have a standard to compare to.
Not to mention that the kit kingpost makes a nice carrying handle.
Planning to use an old Saito 45 special which seems to be a bit anemic compression wise, but runs very nice and has a tic tic idle.

For those interested, as of 8.16.2019, there's one for sale here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Royal-Bleriot
Last edited by taildragger1589; Aug 16, 2019 at 03:40 PM.
Aug 17, 2019, 11:46 AM
Thread OP
For those who would like reference materials...
Plans and instructions.

PDF plans were 1K too big to upload, but you can get them here:
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=7097

Instructions below
Last edited by taildragger1589; Aug 17, 2019 at 11:57 AM.
Aug 17, 2019, 12:25 PM
Dinosaur
Looks like a fun project and one that should keep you busy for at least the first part of winter. One of our club members has a couple that he flies a lot. He scratch builds but they look exactly like yours. They're good flyers but terrible on the ground with no tail wheel.

I can't even imagine how much nose weight its going to take to balance that plane. Keep that in mind while you're building the rear structure. Royal/Marutaka kits were notorious for their weight. You might be able to lighten the tail a little.

Good luck. We'll be watching.

Tom
Aug 18, 2019, 01:09 PM
Thread OP
I was just getting ready to start on the rudder, as per instructions and noticed there is a little room for lightening holes. but first need to sand the faces of the parts for a better fit.
very unphotoworthy.

I've also been looking at different parts of the plans to see how things work together and there are a few areas that aren't real clear at first study...

Good thing I'm in no hurry, like in most things aeronautical, hurry leads to disaster.
Aug 19, 2019, 11:52 AM
Thread OP
Not much to the rudder.
After making sure the edges to be glued are even and square, glue the fore and aft pieces with the top edges aligned and pin down.
Then glue and pin the two ribs and hinge post.
Don't apply glue to the outer 1/4" of the top of the hinge post where it butts to the bottom rib, you'll be cutting it down to match the fuselage end block.
When dry, glue the ribs and post to the other side of the rudder.
I'm using Tite-bond for all joints except the fuselage formers.
On those I'll use 30 minute epoxy.
Aug 20, 2019, 10:52 AM
Looking forward to your thread. I catch myself wanting to make suggestions for changes but remind myself that with these older kits, doing it as per the original plans is a worthy challenge in itself. Looking forward to your thread.
Aug 20, 2019, 11:54 AM
Thread OP
Thanks.
Me too, I was looking at cutting some lightening holes here but fear it would make the rudder too fragile.
I could add an outline frame but would probably negate the savings of the hole.
Also, it would make it look funny when the sun shines thru.
I think I'm going to leave it as is.
Aug 20, 2019, 03:39 PM
Thread OP
Well, here she is. Sanded smooth with the two hinges set but not glued.
I'll sand the hinge block more precisely when there's a tailpost to match up.
After that, nothing to do but cover. Not required, I've seen a few that just had the rudder painted. But I'll go with covering.

The next step is to cut the wing and stab ribs out of the sheets.
They were nicely die crunched. looks like the dies were about halfway thru their life span.
(and went about halfway thru the sheet)

Guess I'll get the wing and stab ribs together since they're in the same sheets.

later
Aug 21, 2019, 07:53 PM
Thread OP
Started out with the two plywood stab ribs and being the hacker I am, promptly broke one after carefully cutting it from the sheet.
So I dragged out the 1/64" ply and made it all strong again, then did the same thing with the other.
These two ribs support the ends of the control horn yoke.

Still have many ribs to go....

Aug 22, 2019, 07:56 PM
Thread OP
In front the empty die cut sheet, one of three.
behind it, the stab ribs layed out on the plans.
in the back, a stack of wing ribs...
Whew! That's enough work for one night,

Nick
Aug 23, 2019, 07:14 PM
Thread OP
Just to make it a bit more challenging, pin the pre notched TE to the plans, then the 1/16" sheet, which is flat on the board at the TE but shimmed up 1/64" at the sheet's LE to follow the curve of the ribs.

At this point I test fitted the spar in the rib notches and had to use a new xacto blade to deepen them a bit and a nail file to loosen the sides just a little.

Then we put the spar over the plans, shimmed up with scraps from the rib sheet and lay the LE dowel in place.
Then we test fit a few ribs and discover that the notch for the TE sheeting is a bit too short and must be cut out so the ribs will slide all the way into the TE notches when the notch on the ribs fit against the TE sheeting.
When it all looks good, we apply the wood glue and weigh down the assembly using 4 ribs.
Now I'll let it dry because if I try to fit more ribs, I knock it all out of position. So the rest comes later
Aug 24, 2019, 07:22 PM
Thread OP
Still sanding, fitting and gluing.
Going well as I haven't broken any balsa ribs (yet) but only partially done.
But going slowly, those of you who've built Scientific, Guillows or Sterling kits know about enlarging spar and stringer notches.

More later

Quick Reply