Aug 16, 2019, 09:14 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

X9 Lite Pro - Frskys Best, and Worst offering in years

X9 Lite Pro. So good, so close to being the #1 recommendation to all new comers to FPV but FrSKY continues the money grab of trying to force the ACCESS protocol, and abandon D8 support.

Is ACCESS the FPV equivalent to EA and Microtransactions?

x9 Lite PRO - Taranis Best Transmitter? But worst offering as a company for FPV buyers (10 min 39 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Aug 16, 2019, 10:13 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
D8 is long obsolete and not legal in the EU. Of course FrSky is aging it out. The reality is that almost all the D8 stuff getting sold today is low-quality 3rd party products from makers too cheap and lazy to actually put any effort into their product (and instead mostly ripoff a couple old community projects which developed D8 compatible receiver firmware & hardware back when D8 was actually a current protocol 6+ years ago).

D8 is slow and has high latency, is limited in capability in both control (8ch, no bidirectional FC link, no 1st party SBus support, only PPM) and telemetry (very limited sensor support and very slow telemetry link, 1/4 the speed of D16). It was great in its day, but its day ended in 2013. It's Ok for simple planes, but is absolutely terrible for quads due to the high latency, even before you get to the other feature lacks.

ACCESS is a major upgrade across the board, driving lower latency and higher telemetry data rates for the multirotor crowd and extra channels and massively improved dual-band and multi-receiver capability for the mid-range and high-end of the fixed wing market. It is an absolute must for FrSky to stay as a leader in the RC space rather than falling behind Jeti, Graupner and Spektrum as they roll out added capabilities. Once TANDEM arrives (and TANDEM is based on ACCESS), FrSky will be the clear leader in dual-band across the board.
Aug 16, 2019, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz

ACCESS is a major upgrade across the board, driving lower latency and higher telemetry data rates for the multirotor crowd and extra channels and massively improved dual-band and multi-receiver capability for the mid-range and high-end of the fixed wing market. It is an absolute must for FrSky to stay as a leader in the RC space rather than falling behind Jeti, Graupner and Spektrum as they roll out added capabilities. Once TANDEM arrives (and TANDEM is based on ACCESS), FrSky will be the clear leader in dual-band across the board.
Agreed and I'm switching everything to ACCESS .

Mike
Aug 16, 2019, 10:44 AM
Clickbait headline... For those who really desperately want D8, there is the XJT lite module for 20$, or a MPM for 35$. I don't see where the issue is...
Aug 16, 2019, 11:18 AM
ErskyTx Developer
For those with D8 receivers, I'm working on D16 firmware that runs on D8 (receiver) hardware.
Currently I have bind, servo control and RSSI/A1/A2 telemetry all working, both FCC and LBT in a single firmware selected at bind time.

Mike
Aug 16, 2019, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Blandford
For those with D8 receivers, I'm working on D16 firmware that runs on D8 (receiver) hardware.
Currently I have bind, servo control and RSSI/A1/A2 telemetry all working, both FCC and LBT in a single firmware selected at bind time.

Mike

That great Mike. Looking forward to trying it.

Jim
Aug 17, 2019, 03:42 AM
Quote:

Mike
Pizza too... ?
... er, available for D4 receiver as well ?
Aug 17, 2019, 11:12 AM
ErskyTx Developer
I don't have any D4 receivers, so I would not be able to test my firmware on them. If someone is prepared to try it (when ready), I could see if we can get them to work. Possibly a little work by "someone" to check the connectivity on the board would help.

I have several D8R-II receivers (I'm working on one of them), a D8R-IIplus, and a D8R-XP. I should be able to get the firmware working on all these.

Current development status:
Bind: FCC and LBT, includes the output selection of ch1-8 or 9-16 and Telemetry on/off.
Also at bind, up to 4 possible links on the servo outputs are read and stored.
Servo outputs all working, still to check they are 9-16 if selected at bind time.
Telemetry for RSSI, A1 and A2 working.
Channel 8, if selected by a link on channels 8 and 7 at bind time, outputs SBUS instead of channel 8 servo. I'm using the Tx signal for debug, but I will likely make this available as a SBUS output.

Next steps:
Implement failsafe.
Handle hub telemetry input on he Rx pin.

Things like full range checking will need to be done.

Mike
Aug 17, 2019, 02:06 PM
YES! My collection of upgradable D8 rx is made of 2 D4R-II, 1 D6R, 1 D8R-II and 5 VD5-m. Of course you cannot do miracle for VD5-m but others could get a second life with your firmware. What a promissing update! I will buy a XJT-Lite module to still address VD5-m in indoor with simple patch antenna but the outdoor Rx may still cover significant range I hope with your efforts.
Aug 17, 2019, 02:41 PM
D6R is a complete different processor, forget it.
D8Rs are all the same, what's different is the serial implementation, and other firmware (for XP).
But any D8 since the first in 2010, to the last, the XP, can be loaded with any firmware frsky ever issued, and works.
Aug 17, 2019, 04:03 PM
Ok Renatoa, I will keep the D6R for near slope soaring. What about D4R-II? Is it using the same chipset as D8R-II?
Just for info, I am a fan of you because you are the one who made me buying an XJT module for my old JR X347. Then I jumped in one of the first X9D. Thank you.
Now Mike is one of the new idols...
Aug 17, 2019, 06:08 PM
ErskyTx Developer
Looks like I now have failsafe (set from the Tx) working. I also noticed I had a slow recovery from failsafe, but I've now fixed that!

Hub telemetry next.

SPort telemetry may be more difficult without full hardware support. I think it could work using the Tx and Rx signals with an added diode (externally, as done by FrSky when using a SPC with a FDD-Lite).

My current idea is for a limited number of configurations (like 2 !), set at bind time.

1. 8 servo outputs, SBUS on Tx, Hub telemetry on Rx, possibly with the option of SBUS on channel 8 as well.
2. 8 servo outputs, SPort telemetry using Tx, Rx and a diode, with the option of SBUS on channel 8.

A1 and A2 as the original analog inputs, but since we have a 12-bit A2D, I could send them as A3 and A4 as well with higher resolution.

Mike
Aug 19, 2019, 11:48 AM
ErskyTx Developer
I'll probably start a new thread for this firmware when I start to make it available, but I'll post an update here.

I've found that there is a hardware limitation in the processor that prevents me generating SBUS on the Tx signal while still using the USART to receive hub telemetry on the Rx signal. I may be able to sort this by using a timer to capture the hub data, but, for now, I'll not have SBUS on the Tx signal.

FrSky hub telemetry is now working, so I'm close to having something for others to test.

The initial configuration is therefore:
8 servo outputs, Hub telemetry on Rx, and the option of SBUS on channel 8 instead of a servo pulse.

I believe I have diversity working as well, but that needs some careful testing. I also need to remove my debug, I'm currently using the A2 analog signal as a debug output (non-inverted serial data at 115200 baud).

Mike
Aug 22, 2019, 08:44 AM
Quote:
I have several D8R-II receivers (I'm working on one of them), a D8R-IIplus, and a D8R-XP. I should be able to get the firmware working on all these.

Current development status:
Bind: FCC and LBT, includes the output selection of ch1-8 or 9-16 and Telemetry on/off.
Also at bind, up to 4 possible links on the servo outputs are read and stored.
Servo outputs all working, still to check they are 9-16 if selected at bind time.
Telemetry for RSSI, A1 and A2 working.
Channel 8, if selected by a link on channels 8 and 7 at bind time, outputs SBUS instead of channel 8 servo. I'm using the Tx signal for debug, but I will likely make this available as a SBUS output.

Next steps:
Implement failsafe.
Handle hub telemetry input on he Rx pin.

Things like full range checking will need to be done.

Mike
Mike, am I right, that You reflash D8R receiver with modified FW so that D8R RX can be paired in D16 LBT protocol?
If You need somedy else for testing, I can try it, but need step-by-step instructutions
I have X9D ( non plus ) with LBT FW ( also X9Lite but still didn`t test it... ).
Aug 22, 2019, 11:13 AM
ErskyTx Developer
Yes, exactly that. I've just fixed a problem where if the Rx received a data packet, with a bad CRC, it lost sync. for half a second or so. I've just range checked this (Tx in range check mode), on my drive. I had full control when over 30 paces away (I'd be crossing the road to get any further!). I was sing a X9D+ with LBT firmware.

This is a "one way" change. Once you put this firmware on your Rx, you can't go back to the original!
I will provide detailed instructions for flashing. In brief, you need to short 2 pads on the board together to enable flashing, then I'm using the STM "Flash Loader Demonstrator" program to flash the Rx using a standard COM port on a PC, I'm actually using a FrSky FDD-Lite USB to serial adapter. After flashing you remove the short to allow normal operation.

While binding (power on holding the bind button pressed), if you press the bind button it swaps mode between FCC and EU-LBT, flashing the red LED once for FCC and twice for LBT. Once bound, it remembers the last mode used and starts bind in the same mode.

Mike

Quick Reply