Thread Tools
Aug 16, 2019, 03:37 AM
jofro
Thread OP
Alert

"Glorious Decade for RC, E-power"


As we are nearing the end, what I would call the most progressive electric power advancement "decade" in our wonderful RC hobby, and sadly world wide recession on the horizon with repeat possibility of 1920's depression, I had a thought, how radio control electric field might, or may not advance in the next 10 years?
What do you think?
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Aug 16, 2019, 05:05 AM
RC Product Specialist
Scott Cuppello's Avatar
Courtesy of global UAS legislation and the general slump in RC killing demand (new RC product releases are a fraction of even 3 years ago), I suspect that the hobby will do the opposite, in fact traditional kit building, for example, is one of the few aeromodelling trends on the up.
Aug 16, 2019, 08:15 AM
Registered User
Fallguy44's Avatar
I think flying planes with expo will be on the rise.
Aug 16, 2019, 08:44 AM
Registered User
I have no idea what will happen. I have seen people saying Horizon's prices are not completely silly..* Cats sleeping with dogs, etc...

Seriously though, some people seem eager to defend these companies when they go la la land with their pricing...


* Recent twin sans retracts for 400 bucks, the rebadged 64mm F-16 for €200 PNP( more than the F-15 - also a rebadged FMS..), etc etc...
Aug 16, 2019, 08:54 AM
A man with too many toys
I think that the trend is to move all production out of China to other less expensive countries. Even before the trade war, wages and cost of production was starting to get too high. That's probably the reason why so many Tower/Horizon products are out of stock or temporarily unavailable.

I think this will take 1 or 2 more years to get things back in stock. After that another few years to start seeing new products.

.
Aug 16, 2019, 08:59 AM
Registered User
Clive66's Avatar
I think this thread is ridiculous.

I'm not into "gloom & doom" talk, especially here.
Don't need predictions from "Armchair Quarterbacks" either.
Aug 16, 2019, 09:24 AM
Registered User
And here you are sitting in the sandbox...
Aug 16, 2019, 09:25 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive66
I think this thread is ridiculous.
I'm going out to the flying field
Aug 16, 2019, 10:08 AM
Work hard, play hard
Oxotnik's Avatar
I'm getting a bag of popcorn and a coke, then will sit here and be entertained. Tomorrow, I'm going flying with my new Avios MiG-17 and several other nice, and very affordable, EDF and warbird foamies.
Aug 16, 2019, 10:54 AM
DFS#000178
Rampage's Avatar
World-wide recession incoming? Yeah, no.

The last big 'boom' in electric flight took place when new motor and battery technologies became cheap enough to be produced en masse byt he hobbiest. With no real breakthrough motor or battery technologies on the horizon, we're probably not going to see another huge breakthrough in technology for electric RC planes either.

It's probably going to get pretty stagnant for a while but there's nothing wrong with that. The current technology works. It doesn't need major change to keep working. Maybe the focus needs to be on things other than power systems. Foam compositions, lighter, stronger airframes, etc.
Aug 16, 2019, 11:07 AM
That thing almost hit me
Tahoed's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage
World-wide recession incoming? Yeah, no.

The last big 'boom' in electric flight took place when new motor and battery technologies became cheap enough to be produced en masse byt he hobbiest. With no real breakthrough motor or battery technologies on the horizon, we're probably not going to see another huge breakthrough in technology for electric RC planes either.

It's probably going to get pretty stagnant for a while but there's nothing wrong with that. The current technology works. It doesn't need major change to keep working. Maybe the focus needs to be on things other than power systems. Foam compositions, lighter, stronger airframes, etc.
Lighter and stronger already exists....and the the motor problem has been eliminated....
Last edited by Tahoed; Aug 16, 2019 at 11:20 AM.
Aug 16, 2019, 11:21 AM
A man with too many toys

The BIG EDF Problem


EDF is an area of our hobby that needs major improvements. I tried it and at the current technology level it's a joke. Have you ever watched a real turbine RC jet fly. They just had a big Jet Fly in central Illinois - that's the way that EDF's should fly.

Two major problems:
1. Flight time needs to be about 10 minutes - not 2 or 3 minutes. That's the biggest problem.

2. The other problem is power to weight ratio. It takes a huge (heavy and very expensive) battery to get any king of reasonable performance. Best to just save up and get a real turbine. They need to make them fly like sport aerobatic airplanes. It gets old real fast just flying around fast. I would like to do aerobatics at a moderate airspeed at 3/4 throttle for 7-10 minutes. Why are fans so much less efficient than propellers?

Maybe we should go back to the old days when we put a pusher prop in a jet. They were much more fun to fly that way and a heck of a lot less expensive.



Does anyone know of any new technology on the horizon?


.
Aug 16, 2019, 11:37 AM
Registered User
Good point about EDFs. The range of Smaller hand launchable options is pretty slim. Mostly 5-year old designs with new paint schemes.... And the issues mentioned above...

(Though the 90mm scene seems pretty active..)
Aug 16, 2019, 11:56 AM
Custom User Name Title
bhoov128's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofro
As we are nearing the end, what I would call the most progressive electric power advancement "decade" in our wonderful RC hobby, and sadly world wide recession on the horizon with repeat possibility of 1920's depression, I had a thought, how radio control electric field might, or may not advance in the next 10 years?
What do you think?
I think you should not worry about possibilities of economic downturn and continue to produce works of art from the JFrost Jet Works, and post pictures, so we can enjoy them

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
EDF is an area of our hobby that needs major improvements. I tried it and at the current technology level it's a joke. Have you ever watched a real turbine RC jet fly. They just had a big Jet Fly in central Illinois - that's the way that EDF's should fly.

Two major problems:
1. Flight time needs to be about 10 minutes - not 2 or 3 minutes. That's the biggest problem.

2. The other problem is power to weight ratio. It takes a huge (heavy and very expensive) battery to get any king of reasonable performance. Best to just save up and get a real turbine. They need to make them fly like sport aerobatic airplanes. It gets old real fast just flying around fast. I would like to do aerobatics at a moderate airspeed at 3/4 throttle for 7-10 minutes. Why are fans so much less efficient than propellers?
.
Welcome to a reality-based world where the scientific principles of physics apply!

Get yourself some EDF airframes and stick a screamy lil' prop in the back and make a pusher.... only insecure people who care too much about toy airplanes will give you grief and you'll be having too much fun with your pusher jets to care

Also, take pictures and videos for us to enjoy
Aug 16, 2019, 12:24 PM
DFS#000178
Rampage's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
EDF is an area of our hobby that needs major improvements. I tried it and at the current technology level it's a joke. Have you ever watched a real turbine RC jet fly. They just had a big Jet Fly in central Illinois - that's the way that EDF's should fly.

Two major problems:
1. Flight time needs to be about 10 minutes - not 2 or 3 minutes. That's the biggest problem.

2. The other problem is power to weight ratio. It takes a huge (heavy and very expensive) battery to get any king of reasonable performance. Best to just save up and get a real turbine. They need to make them fly like sport aerobatic airplanes. It gets old real fast just flying around fast. I would like to do aerobatics at a moderate airspeed at 3/4 throttle for 7-10 minutes. Why are fans so much less efficient than propellers?

Maybe we should go back to the old days when we put a pusher prop in a jet. They were much more fun to fly that way and a heck of a lot less expensive.



Does anyone know of any new technology on the horizon?


.
There's also another difference between turbine Jets and EDFs.

Price.

You can buy a lot of PNP foamy EDFs and a lot of batteries for the price of a single turbine engine, let alone an airframe. And that's to say nothing of the complexity of the turbine models.

EDFs are inherently inefficient. They always have been. They've come a LONG, LONG WAY since the days of nitro ducted fans with tuned pipes, and aside from fan design they probably aren't going to make anymore big leaps in capability until there is a new motor and/or battery technology available. Which isn't going to happen any time soon.

You might see tiny, incremental advances in performance and efficiency but without a new battery technology you aren't going to be seeing 10 minute flight times in 70, 80 or 90mm EDFs any time in the foreseeable future.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Alabama police planted evidence on 1000's of black men for decades Sherlock Life, The Universe, and Politics 7 Dec 04, 2015 01:49 PM
Discussion Glorious Tsarist Russia, in glorious color dll932 Life, The Universe, and Politics 8 Mar 21, 2014 12:16 PM
Discussion The New E-Power hats From E-Power RC NRGVOLT Product Announcements 0 Sep 24, 2006 02:42 AM
Has Glow Power improved over the last 3 decades compared to E-power? Megowcoupe Electric Plane Talk 15 Aug 30, 2002 07:59 AM