Aug 15, 2019, 11:26 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Thread OP
Discussion

.PDF to .DWG or .DXF conversion programs..

Are there really any good ones?

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
to remove ads between posts
Aug 16, 2019, 04:03 AM
Print2cad works well for me
Aug 16, 2019, 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT.
Are there really any good ones?

SteveT.
I just a photo in car program and draw over top
I have try some of converting programs but found drawing over work better for me

Dave
Aug 17, 2019, 12:54 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jregholdsworth
Print2cad works well for me
Thank you..

SteveT.
Aug 17, 2019, 12:56 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithdoor
I just a photo in car program and draw over top
I have try some of converting programs but found drawing over work better for me

Dave
Yeah, that's what I have found to work best so far, but when you are doing a complicated set of plans it can be a long, drawn out process.

SteveT.
Aug 19, 2019, 11:04 AM

Inkscape

I use and like Inkscape. It's free and does a very good job converting to DXF.
I tried print2cad and didn't want to pay for it.

Matt
Aug 19, 2019, 12:06 PM
A.K.A sir Crashalot
i used an online converter, https://www.zamzar.com/convert/pdf-to-dxf/ a cpl of days ago for a plan. worked for me.
Aug 20, 2019, 06:08 AM
I do have a couple that work well for me but today they are too expensive! The one that I really like is SV ScanRaster which today, about $5,000 where as when I bought it was around $500. I use this program almost daily as it is very good for cleaning and enhancing an drawing so it is almost like cad software but still dealing with pixels.

The other is Scan2CAD which today is around $25 monthly. when I bought it was less than $400, period. It is very useful in reducing the color depth to something more manageable so that undesired colors can be deleted with the remaining colors converted to two bit. Scan2CAD can also open a pdf file and if that pdf file is vector, directly convert it to a dxf file.

Both of these programs only scan 2 bit files (black and white) and were paid for by an X employer. Had CorelDraw once and it would work with colors in converting to dxf or dwg.

It looks like CorelDraw is still around and looks†affordable but I do not know how well it works. Sorry that I could not be more helpful.

Gene

Thought that I would show an example of what CorelDraw could do with a color photo around 25 years ago. The end result imported into cad as a dxf file and then somewhat traced. The attached file is vector.
Last edited by rchopper56; Aug 20, 2019 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Added Example
Aug 20, 2019, 05:41 PM
Thread OP
I had Corel Draw on a computer one time, and I swore I would never put it on my computer again. It 'buries' itself 'everywhere' in a computer and is a real B**** to uninstall/remove.

Thanks for the info on the others though..

SteveT.
Aug 20, 2019, 05:42 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the info guys, am going to close the thread now..

SteveT.

Quick Reply