Aug 15, 2019, 07:57 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Enya 46-4C II Four Stroke user help & tips.

So I recently picked up a few of these 46-4C II beauties, I know I'm an old nostalgic fuddy duddy and electric is the way to go. But I just cant drop the real engine sounds and smell. Im kinda surprised that there are no specific engine user groups here on what ever engine flavor you fly. I guess glow is on a slow down ward spiral but its what I started with and I'm going kicking and screaming. If you have owned one of these four strokes and know a thing or two and would like to share your old Enya four stroke knowledge, tips and tricks, such as prop sizes, fuel type, RPM range, tuning, cleaning or care quirks unique to the Enya FS. And pictures, we all love pictures especially if you have them on a plane. Any size Enya four strokes engines are welcome here!

That said I really don't know much about the engines other than the scattered info found on the forum and what google brings up. I would like to hear from you, so hopefully this thread can be a central location for all the help tips for all to share and learn. I may have missed it in the Dated Manuals thread but I cant seem to find a PDF of the 46 manual. Anyone got one they can scan in and send me? I see there is a web site www.enya-engine.com , maybe I just suck at it but I cant find anything there any use. Or if there is a US distributor that brings in the glow plugs and parts, if they are still available other than what I find on Ebay.

Lets have at it.

TA
to remove ads between posts
Aug 15, 2019, 10:21 PM
Bobby Brooks.

Shtterman on EBay. Lots of NIP Enya parts.
Aug 16, 2019, 01:05 AM
GloBroz PowerLab
The Enya 46-4C was the most powerful 7.5cc 4-stroke on the market when it came out. It has some unique features - built-in choke mechanism in the throttle barrel, 14,500rpm redline maximum, etc. They like to and aren’t afraid to rev. Don’t be surprised if you’re not happy with it if you prop it to turn 8,000rpm. It’ll do it, but they’re much happier at 12-13k. A 10x6 is a little light, but my Mk I .46 ran 13,500 on an APC 10x6 on the 5th tank of fuel.

I have my .46 slated for a special project. I’m scratch building a Farman Hydroglisseur. Should be a good fit for the .46.

If Shtterman doesn’t have your parts, try Ken Enya himself. [email protected] Direct sales are often cheaper and nearly equal in delivery times. My last order took 5 days to arrive from Japan.
Aug 16, 2019, 05:06 PM
Thread OP
Oh my look what came today, ask and ye shall receive, a very welcome surprise, all the 46-4C II paper work, Ken never mentioned it was included and I never asked. I will take it all to work and get a good scan of it all for all to share. Most of it is in good order but a few pages will have some bad spots. I'm so happy!!!!

TA
Aug 16, 2019, 07:55 PM
Balsadustus Producerus
At least, yours arrived assembled

Here's mine, currently...I got it at one of the AMA EXPO shows a few years ago for near nothing, because it was in kit form and needed bearings, which I found at a local Kaman store. Just gotta get around to assembling it. I'm anticipating seeing the owners manual, should you scan and post it.

And, what's it doing in that off-brand box
Latest blog entry: Single Channel Case
Aug 16, 2019, 11:42 PM
Thread OP
Nice, well you know at least it is a box right? It wont be till Monday then I can get a good full scan but here is the important stuff. So I'm going to need some carb help or idea, one of the engines, the throttle valve rotates like it should but it moves side to side roughly 1/8 of an inch the others will do this but they click back into place. Looking at the diagram I can't see what would cause or remedy this. It's also missing the idling speed adjusting screw and spring so I hope I can find a replacement them or at least something that will work in its place.

TA
Last edited by thobin; Aug 17, 2019 at 12:11 AM.
Aug 17, 2019, 02:59 AM
GloBroz PowerLab
The throttle barrel (as I mentioned in my previous post) will move in and out about 1/8”. Pulling the barrel out (away from engine) closes the choke. Pushing it back in opens it. The R120-4C shares this feature.
Aug 17, 2019, 06:22 AM
Be careful using the choke feature because it way over chokes.
Aug 17, 2019, 07:58 AM
Dieselized User
http://www.dieselrc.com/download/enya_46-4c.pdf

Just don't try to start the engine with the choke out. A couple flips before heating the plug is all it needs.
Aug 17, 2019, 08:15 AM
GloBroz PowerLab
Oddly enough - and maybe I’m just lucky, but I only use a starter on my 4-strokes; I pull the choke, hit the starter until it pops, then open the choke and hit it with a starter again. Works every time. My engines are always upright though - I’d guess it’s more of a problem for inverted engines?
Aug 17, 2019, 09:10 AM
Thread OP
Okay so why is it not clicking back into place it just flops around, very loose. I would think it would choke out accidentally or just by throttling up. The other two engines, have a click to them that locks the choke back into place. I would have thought it was that set screw on the bottom of the carb but it has no effect and it doesn't look worn?
Aug 17, 2019, 09:14 AM
Dieselized User
The screw #64 in the parts list has a spring loaded ball in the tip (ball spring plunger). These can get stuck.
Aug 17, 2019, 09:19 AM
Dieselized User
Whatever works. The first 46-4C I had came with a CH spark ignition. I pulled the choke and started the engine. There was liquid fuel pouring out of the exhaust while it idled!
Aug 17, 2019, 01:01 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkamysz
The screw #64 in the parts list has a spring loaded ball in the tip (ball spring plunger). These can get stuck.
Looks like the ball is missing or it has been shoved so far down I cant see it. Need to find a replacement for that I guess, Spring plunger #464C56
Aug 17, 2019, 01:55 PM
GloBroz PowerLab
Quote:
Originally Posted by thobin
Looks like the ball is missing or it has been shoved so far down I cant see it. Need to find a replacement for that I guess, Spring plunger #464C56
Just put the part number into the google machine and you should be able to find something. The same parts are used on a lot of their engines. There are parts around. If you cant find anything, email Shtterman or Ken Enya.

Quick Reply