Aug 15, 2019, 07:55 PM
Tugs & Bugs
Thread OP
Discussion

Harbor models Smoke Generator Question.

My Dumas "BROOKLYN" Tugs arrives on Wednesday Next week already built and tested, i bought it used but looks BRAND NEW, it does have old TECHNOLOGY like a mechanical DUMAS esc and motor with reduction gear set up, both which i WILL Definitely change, i will be going with an up to date ESC and brushed/brushless motor and run a 3S LiPO, i was wondering if i should order the small smoke GENERATOR or the LARGE? Your input is greatly appreciated.......This boat is 40 inches long. Thanks in advance.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 16, 2019, 09:28 AM
Mmm, tugs...
It's a big steam tug... I'd go with all the smoker I could fit in there!
Aug 16, 2019, 10:02 AM
Tugs & Bugs
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmat2350
It's a big steam tug... I'd go with all the smoker I could fit in there!
AWESOME, thank you. Ordering the large one now. Now to figure out how to install it. lolol.
Aug 16, 2019, 10:17 AM
Tugs & Bugs
Thread OP
and DONE......Ordered the large.
Aug 16, 2019, 01:08 PM
Just a bit of advice about using the large smoker in your Brooklyn. I had to install a separate speed control to get the unit to work properly with my set up. I have a large motor on direct drive and I had to keep the rpm very low for scale speed with that large prop. On low power the unit did not get enough amps to function properly when it was connected to the speed control. If you are going to use a geared drive you probably will not have any problems getting it to smoke.
Latest blog entry: Myrtle Corey
Aug 16, 2019, 01:12 PM
Mmm, tugs...
Or just wire it with an RC switch... but the separate speed control is a nice touch! Amount of smoke is somewhat independent of boat speed... you can shovel a lot of coal into the boiler to build up steam even while sitting still, as we see in the pic above.

Quick Reply