Aug 27, 2019, 08:34 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by David2011
A Skeeter is in my kit collection. I think I caught it on sale from Tower for $14.95 in 1998 or '99. I'll probably use the kit as templates for new parts. I have mixed emotions about posting the plans and parts templates. I feel a loyalty to Mark Smith for all the great designs he's cranked out but a great disdain for the former Great Planes companies for the way they swallowed up and shelved so many great kit designs from many companies.

The shoulders have seen better days so I'll use a zip start for it.
Mark joined our club a few years back. When I heard about it I was thrilled I would be able to fly with him and maybe bend his ear, but sadly, he passed before I got a chance.

Be nice to see more of his stuff out there. When I see them it brings back good memories.

Scott
to remove ads between posts
Aug 27, 2019, 10:04 PM
Thread OP
So not yet decided on the tail but I put together the supplied parts and taped them on to look at.

I still need to attach the leading edge sticks on to the 1/32 sub LE, (a change from the plans to make it easier to contour). One of the supplied sticks is bowed pretty bad so Iíll swap it out. I donít want to build any stress into this light wing.
Aug 27, 2019, 10:47 PM
F3Foamie Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCscott
So not yet decided on the tail but I put together the supplied parts and taped them on to look at.

I still need to attach the leading edge sticks on to the 1/32 sub LE, (a change from the plans to make it easier to contour). One of the supplied sticks is bowed pretty bad so I’ll swap it out. I don’t want to build any stress into this light wing.
Looks great, and good call on replacing the warped LE material.
Sep 15, 2019, 04:56 PM
Thread OP
Back at it.

Considering this Skeeter will be for fun at the slope, horsing around with and generally being stupid, I figured it would require a couple of changes.

ERROR .... Exactly what I didnít want to do...... I just canít help myself.

When I decided it had to be done it was like my internal build motivation switch was turned off,,, hence the delay.

So after a couple of weeks of drinking and thinking , or just generally goofing off , I feel good enough to get on with it...... Was this or yard work.
Still got to do the yard work but,,,, later!

To start I drew an enlarged stab and elevator over the plans extending out and back from the LE. Increased horizontal area 37 to 48sqĒ(11 to 14% of wing area/ 336sqĒ). The numbers are totally unimportant but I did actually measure it.

After building it and dry fitting the ele It weighs .2 oz, the same as stock.

Next up, fin and rudder.
Last edited by VCscott; Sep 15, 2019 at 05:04 PM.
Sep 15, 2019, 06:14 PM
F3Foamie Pilot
Looking good VC,

It's gonna be awhile before I talk myself into building another woody.

I hope you'll use transparent to show off your hard work.
Sep 15, 2019, 10:09 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopemaster
Looking good VC,

It's gonna be awhile before I talk myself into building another woody.

I hope you'll use transparent to show off your hard work.
Transparent, Iím kind of shy!
I donít know if my balsa butchery could bear close examination.
Sep 15, 2019, 11:10 PM
F3Foamie Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCscott
Transparent, Iím kind of shy!
I donít know if my balsa butchery could bear close examination.
Use a darker transparent, blue or green.
Sep 16, 2019, 01:26 PM
Here is some motivation. I've built 2 of these and they both flew fine. Great for small compact slopes or low wind days. Also work at the local school for hand launch.
Sep 17, 2019, 12:16 AM
guamflyer - Avid Sloper
that was my first sailplane in Maui.. thermaled it allot.. my first slope experience was with a skeeter and it was windy still threw it though.. cool build Bro...

Slope Fast - Soar Deep

Zipa
Sep 17, 2019, 10:16 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougCorrigan
Here is some motivation. I've built 2 of these and they both flew fine. Great for small compact slopes or low wind days. Also work at the local school for hand launch.
Thatís real nice, I hope mine turns out like that. This will be my first hlg type glider, closest I have to it is an Oly650. Every time I fly the Oly it puts a smile on my face.

Scott
Sep 17, 2019, 10:25 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by guamflyer
that was my first sailplane in Maui.. thermaled it allot.. my first slope experience was with a skeeter and it was windy still threw it though.. cool build Bro...

Slope Fast - Soar Deep

Zipa
Thanks
Iím getting kind of excited about seeing what I can do with it. Thereís a field I can fly at that gets regular dust devils in the afternoon. Iím thinking I need toss this guy into one an see what happens.

Scott
Sep 17, 2019, 10:37 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopemaster
Use a darker transparent, blue or green.
Iíll give that some thought.
It would be the first time for me.
Sep 17, 2019, 11:00 PM
Thread OP
The beat goes on.

Drew up the new enlarged fin and rudder. Extended it fore and aft from the hinge line and up to keep the original Skeeter shape.

Quick Reply