Aug 15, 2019, 03:17 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Dynaflite Skeeter

So Iíve had this kit for a long long time and Thought itís time to get it out of the attic and build it.
All my builds for the last few years have been modified or bashed kits or mostly scratch builds and itís time for a break. Hereís a link to one I just finished on the Balsa Builders forum.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...s-you-go-build

The Skeeter going to be no mod simple.
I need some light wind flyers for Daveís Beach and am looking forward to a quick build just following the plans, heck I might even look at the instructions.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 15, 2019, 10:03 PM
auto-tune remix
The Skeeter flew way better than the guys on rec.sport.r/c.models predicted back in the day. I flew mine heavily for two years '96 -'97 before giving it away. I still have a kit in the stash. Keep the tail light and play with the CG a bit- mine was reasonably fast for a balsa plane.
Aug 15, 2019, 10:25 PM
Built it with a flat wing and ailerons, like a poor mans CR Climax. I flew the wings off of it and finally tossed it in the fire place one night.
Aug 15, 2019, 10:43 PM
Thread OP
LOL
The poor Skeeter gets no love, even from the guys that liked it.
The design looks ok, but I'm not an engineer, maybe to much wood in the tail.
I've read some of the comments from old posts so if I don't like I asked for it.
Doing a built up tail section sounds like good advice.
Aug 15, 2019, 10:46 PM
Mine had flown so much the wings were pretty flexible. There was no saving it, but it died a warrior's death.

I have two sitting here I need to take to the field and two more in boxes.

I had a stock tail on mine with a few lightening holes, but batteries and servos were a lot heavier then.

On second thought, I did remove the balance on the rudder. I hate balanced rudders, not sure if it made much difference.
Aug 15, 2019, 11:02 PM
Thread OP
Glad to hear some positivity, I was starting to wonder.
I used to burn all my old wrecks but I missed them so now my attic is full of balsa salad! I do visit the grave yard now and then though, memories.
Aug 15, 2019, 11:09 PM
Thread OP
I was wondering about the rudder, my Oly Flys great with it.
One time about 20 years ago I built the elevators like that on a scratch sloper, boy that didn't work, about stopped and fell out of the air.
Aug 16, 2019, 01:56 AM
Slow builder
I really like the look of the Skeeter.

I had (still have) a Global Whippit HLG & my mate had the Skeeter.
The Whippit was better but the Skeeter was still a good flyer.

HLG is hard work compared to modern DLG but a light bungee or slope with a light breeze would be perfect for it. I'm sure you'll love it.

Al
Aug 16, 2019, 10:41 AM
DS Junkie
Kudos for tackling a balsa kit for slope use. That takes guts!
Aug 16, 2019, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamin' Eagle
Kudos for tackling a balsa kit for slope use. That takes guts!
You must not be familiar with some of the "balsa" in Dynaflite kits.
Aug 16, 2019, 04:59 PM
F3Foamie Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsoar4fun
You must not be familiar with some of the "balsa" in Dynaflite kits.
Dynaflite kits use a hybrid balsa that contains lead. .

Ballast impregnated balsa.
Aug 16, 2019, 05:25 PM
auto-tune remix
my Skeeter survived an appx 700' straight down dive over Hwy 1 into a poison oak filled ravine. I spent about n hour looking for it- my friend Joe drive past the hairpin turn and was able to guide me in using hand signals. No damage.

Mine weighed about 16 ounces all up. So did my Global Whippet. I sort of considered these type planes to be mini-cross-country planes, as they were too heavy to really heave.

Quick Reply