Sep 13, 2019, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightengr
It will be interesting to see if Horizon puts the time and effort into RF (through Knife Edge) to make it a lot simpler to use for the people coming in with Spektrum products and who expect it to just work with their transmitters and model setups. Phoenix wasn't necessarily intuitive either with the setup, but at least you got a lot farther with it a lot faster just by telling it you had a DX8 transmitter.
If the latest release is anything to go buy, the outlook isn't good. Add some additional content, up the version number and slap a 99usd price tag on it.

In the event that sales are poor (and I suspect they will be), dont reflect on your own business practices - just spin some nonsense about how the market isnt there. "It's the children who are wrong".

RF9 is the software equivalent of re-releasing an old FMS plane with a different paint scheme and pretending it's a new product.

I wonder if the control input scheme isnt deliberate - "buy the official controller if you want to get the most out of it etc etc".
to remove ads between posts
Sep 13, 2019, 07:11 PM
mutski

Reassign channels?

I just purchased Realflight 9, and connected via the Spektrum WS1000 wireless dongle. I find that with the Mustang model, Aux 1 opens and closes the canopy, and Aux 2 is not assigned. Meanwhile, flaps work only with the U key on my PC. Likewise with the Timber model, Aux 1 turns AS3X on and off, Aux 2 does nothing and I have to use the U key on my PC for flaps.

Is there a way to reassign channels on the Realflight model so that I can use Aux 2 on my Dx7 to control flaps? I have previously used the Clearview flight simulator (which only costs $39) and it's easy to assign channels to control flaps and gear. I don't see any setting in Realflight to do this.
Sep 13, 2019, 09:01 PM
Better SAFE than sorry!
Yes, you can change the channel assignments.

I would direct you back to post # 103 with some pointers on how the WS1000 maps channels to the Windows joystick inputs, which are set up in RF in your transmitter profile. Short answer to your question: RF has a channel called "Flaps", and you could map it to input "Slider" for Aux2 from the DX7.
Last edited by flightengr; Sep 13, 2019 at 09:12 PM.
Sep 13, 2019, 09:24 PM
No doubt about it you need the new Spektrum Interlink DX usb controller if you want to get the best out of RF9. It is the best controller that RF has ever produced imho. It’s a controller any Spektrum tx flyer will feel right at home with. Up to you whether or not you buy one. All I can say is I’m glad I bought one with the RF9 combo.
Sep 13, 2019, 10:43 PM
mutski
Thanks for the replies. I finally discovered that you can go to Simulation - Select Controller - Edit and reassign or reverse channels. It's odd, they have the channels named, and the usual Gear channel is called Smoke. I didn't see a way to change that, but as long as it goes to the right switch on the tx, I can live with it.

Another oddity - I tried the P51 Mustang, and the Gear channel works the landing gear. I tried the P51 Mustang Combat version, and the gear isn't assigned a channel on the servos tab - it's run by the "Retract Signal Modifier," whatever that is. It appears I could change that to the Gear channel, but as is, the gear seems to retract on a time and lower by itself when I cut the throttle to land. I presume that was to free up channels for guns and smoke.
Sep 16, 2019, 12:08 AM
The Other Side of Your Screen
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC
No doubt about it you need the new Spektrum Interlink DX usb controller if you want to get the best out of RF9. It is the best controller that RF has ever produced imho. Itís a controller any Spektrum tx flyer will feel right at home with. Up to you whether or not you buy one. All I can say is Iím glad I bought one with the RF9 combo.
Tom

How does it compare to a DX8g2 for fell, is the weight about the same, and can the gimble lengths and spring tension be adjusted the same? And is mouse tape needed on the throttle/cyclic stick to get it smooth like heli guys like me had to do on the real g2 radio?
Sep 16, 2019, 01:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSport
Tom

How does it compare to a DX8g2 for fell, is the weight about the same, and can the gimble lengths and spring tension be adjusted the same? And is mouse tape needed on the throttle/cyclic stick to get it smooth like heli guys like me had to do on the real g2 radio?
It feels very good to me, much like my DX18, but obviously a lot lighter (~ the same weight as the older Interlink Elite btw). Distance between the sticks is ~10mm closer (same as the Interlnk Elite btw) but I do not really notice the difference. My only minor complaint is that it is not quite as well balanced as the older Interlink Elite. It is a little top heavy and some may find adding a small amount of weight to the bottom of the controller may help. Given the good gripping area, and am a Thumbs guy (sometimes with a little pinching on the throttle/rudder) I have not seen the need to do this.

The throttle stick stock settings are set to 'smooth', just like I like them for heli's as well. You can adjust it to notchy if you want to. Other axis stick tension and stick lengths are very easy to adjust. I have not bothered to adjust any of these yet because it all feels great to me.

Like any new controller (even field TX's) it does take a few sessions to feel 100% comfortable. For me, after 1-2 hours of sim time it felt like an old pair of slippers.
Sep 16, 2019, 06:58 AM
Better SAFE than sorry!
Looks like the Interlink DX controller is based on a DX6e/DX8e body.
Sep 16, 2019, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC
It feels very good to me, much like my DX18, but obviously a lot lighter (~ the same weight as the older Interlink Elite btw). Distance between the sticks is ~10mm closer (same as the Interlnk Elite btw) but I do not really notice the difference. My only minor complaint is that it is not quite as well balanced as the older Interlink Elite. It is a little top heavy and some may find adding a small amount of weight to the bottom of the controller may help. Given the good gripping area, and am a Thumbs guy (sometimes with a little pinching on the throttle/rudder) I have not seen the need to do this.

The throttle stick stock settings are set to 'smooth', just like I like them for heli's as well. You can adjust it to notchy if you want to. Other axis stick tension and stick lengths are very easy to adjust. I have not bothered to adjust any of these yet because it all feels great to me.

Like any new controller (even field TX's) it does take a few sessions to feel 100% comfortable. For me, after 1-2 hours of sim time it felt like an old pair of slippers.
Thanks Tom.

I could see the top heaviness .... there is no battery in the lower part, but some type of weight might do well.

The old interlink I don't have anything to compare it to ... close to my Tactic TTX 850. But the new DX Interlink has the buttons and knob all in the same place as my DX8g2, so I would want to set it to feel the same, so as to not get me used to something then have a different feel at the field where accidents are not as easily resettable.

DX8g2 throttle was set to smooth .... I guess those that don't fly heli's would call what mine was "smooth", some mouse tape cleaned up the ratchedness that even unscrewing the metal part til the sticks just fell up and down didn't. As for the stick 10mm difference, that might be the same difference between the DX8g2 and the DX18.
Sep 16, 2019, 04:33 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Just installed RF9 a couple days ago. Got the version with the new controller. I'm really impressed with the Spektrum DX-based controller! Feels like it has the same switches, knobs, sliders, and gimbals you'd find in a DX8 or DX9!

Mine came with the smooth throttle.

Has a pair of 3-way switches on the upper-left, a 3-way switch plus a rotary knob on the upper-right, a 3-way switch plus a momentary pushbutton on the top left, a 3-way switch on the top-right, a bat-handle 2-way switch on the top left toward the rear & one on the top right toward the rear - plus a proportional slider on the left-rear & one on the right-rear.

Joel
Latest blog entry: E-flite 850mm Pitts
Sep 16, 2019, 04:48 PM
Wow ... has the sliders too ... didn't notice them before. Looks like more of a blend of the DX8e, DX9 and iX12 ... it's funny they didn't just do the switch layout of the DX9 or iX12, but had to have the dial on the front, like the DX8g2 and DX8e, and not on the top like the others
Sep 16, 2019, 05:15 PM
That top right knob has been there since day one for all RF Interlink controllers since G2 so maybe it's just tradition, lol!

If you are a good DIY guy I guess you could move it elsewhere.
Sep 16, 2019, 05:22 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Couple pics of the controller:

Front w/switches, pushbutton, and knob:

Rear w/fingertip sliders, bat-handle 2-way switches, and mode-select switch:

Joel
Latest blog entry: E-flite 850mm Pitts
Sep 16, 2019, 05:41 PM
It's a beautiful thing, lol!
Sep 16, 2019, 09:59 PM
I wonder if the graphic lights up when it is "capable of transmitting" like the real ones.

I guess there is a $179 answer for that.

Quick Reply