Sep 04, 2019, 11:19 AM
Modeling Retread
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Hurd View Post
I, for one, really appreciate your excellent build thread!
Frank
You're welcome, my pleasure. I've done (doing) several of these. I've found them very useful because sometimes an unexpected delay (seven years on one build log) leaves me needing to refresh myself on what I was thinking.
Latest blog entry: Prop Reamers
to remove ads between posts
Sep 04, 2019, 11:06 PM
Modeling Retread
Thread OP

Night Eighteen

Tonight I did the basic radio installation…

I try to get everything I need at the start of a build. This gives me flexibility to do things like this. I’ve been doing aircraft hardware and radio installations during the building process for a long time. For fuel power lanes, for instance, one of the first things I do is engineer the motor mounting.

This fuselage crutch assembly method makes this easier than most.

As seen above, I’m using an AR636 AS3X receiver. One of the things you have to do when you set it up is choose a receiver orientation. The stabilization system depends on this information. This choice can inform and be informed by component placement. BTW, learning how to program AS3X is not hard but not, like most Spektrum instructions, not particularly clear either. Their customer service people are very good and Andy Kunz, their programming expert who hangs out over in the Radio Forum is great. There is a lot of information to mine in the AS3X threads.

Note: While this is an OTS AR636, not a BNF sourced AR636A, it is not true, generally, that the 636As cannot be reprogrammed. I have a reprogrammed 636A in my Tower Hobbies Slow Ride. If you start down the programming road, please understand that the first number in the software version designates the type. Software of the form 1.xx is for AS3X programming. Software of the form 2.xx is for SAFE programming. (Yes, SAFE can be programmed but requires a more fundamental understanding of the system than I care to engage.)

Notes.

- Keep some long drills handy. The flexible 1/16” is great for servo installation. If you need to limit depth, you can use a wheel collar.

- servos don’t add much weight, so once installed just leave them there.

- I’ve been using the straw trick for antenna sheathing for several years. I use it in BNFs too as Horizon’s suppliers don’t seem to take any care with them.

- A Dymo thermal label maker is a useful tool. I’ve been using it to make my AMA/FAA labels. Here, I’m making myself a little reminder to go with the arming switch.
Last edited by GRW3; Sep 04, 2019 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Pictures disappeared
Sep 05, 2019, 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRW3 View Post
Note: While this is an OTS AR636, not a BNF sourced AR636A, it is not true, generally, that the 636As cannot be reprogrammed.
We only made a handful of products at the very start of AR636 production that could not be reprogrammed. Every single one since then, for years, has been programmable.

Doesn't matter if it says AR636, AR636A, or AR636H (heli version) - they are all programmable except for really old units that came in the original Sukhoi, and in one heli (I forget what it was).

If you get one that's not programmable, it's from the Sukhoi or it's a counterfeit. And yes, there are counterfeits out there. Don't buy on ebay, alibaba, etc.

Andy
Sep 05, 2019, 12:00 PM
Modeling Retread
Thread OP
See, Andy is a great resource.
Sep 05, 2019, 11:52 PM
Modeling Retread
Thread OP

Night Nineteen

Tonight I glued the fuselage sides to the fuselage crutch. First one side and then, four hours later, the other side.

Tonight’s neat tool is the silicone glue pan and roller. It does a great job of getting an even coat of glue down.

I also took the opportunity to take care of the tailwheel assembly mounting. If you use a simple bracket assembly like the instructions describe, you can wait. If you need to drill and use blind huts, do it now.
Last edited by GRW3; Sep 05, 2019 at 11:58 PM.
Sep 06, 2019, 11:21 PM
Modeling Retread
Thread OP

Night Twenty

Not much done tonight. I’m getting ready for week long business trip to Long Beach.

Tonight I put the remaining formers in the fuselage. The only problem I had was with former F6. Depending the balsa used for the sides, there can be more or less tension on the former. Mine had so much tension that it popped the top of the former in half. I got some scrap light ply and glued on another brace. Scrambling to get it fixed, I didn’t quite get it lined up. Fortunately, this is an interior piece so the problem can be corrected.

I will be gone for a week. I’m going to Long Beach to attend a fuel conference. I’ll be speaking about using advanced technology to measure internal deposits diesel injectors.

I won’t skip on the numbering. The next record will be for night 21.
Sep 17, 2019, 12:01 PM
Modeling Retread
Thread OP
Update... When I was in Long Beach I tripped and smashed my shoulder. Fortunately, nothing is broken but I do have movement issue with my right arm that makes it hard to work on the plane. I'm scheduled for physical therapy, so I'm confident I'll be able to get back to building soon.
Sep 17, 2019, 12:54 PM
OUCH! Been there, done that. Once, a day before I left on a 3000 mile road trip. Got back, had surgery. A few months later, middle of a 1500 mile road trip, fell and hurt the other shoulder. Had surgery, all is well. I have > 100% of "normal" travel in both arms. The only thing missing is the strength to press vertically, but that's so rarely used by me anyway that I hardly miss it.

Andy
Sep 17, 2019, 09:43 PM
Lipoly Killer

Get well soon!

I hope everything goes well!
Frank
Sep 17, 2019, 10:06 PM

Hoping you feel better soon.

Following your build, and... just received my kit of the Javelin.
Working on the wing now, it'l also be electric!

Having experience with the busted shoulder, it takes a while to be comfortable sleeping.

Wishing you well.
freddy55
Sep 18, 2019, 10:23 AM
A man with too many toys
Thinking of building a Nitro version. Will be interested on how aerobatic it is and what it weighs.

Has anyone seen any other build threads?

Sep 18, 2019, 10:35 AM
Crash and Build
love this thread
I am really liking a bunch of the Old Skool kits.
Does anybody know of any more build threads?
I cannot decide what to buy!
I want a motor glider and also smooth aerobat that uses 4s

If Old skool is reading this thread- the world needs a pattern style kit. Not the fancy ($$$) carbon arfs for competition, but a nice kit for smooooth flying at the field
Sep 18, 2019, 02:24 PM
A man with too many toys
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpoles View Post
love this thread
I am really liking a bunch of the Old Skool kits.
Does anybody know of any more build threads?
I cannot decide what to buy!
I want a motor glider and also smooth aerobat that uses 4s

If Old skool is reading this thread- the world needs a pattern style kit. Not the fancy ($$$) carbon arfs for competition, but a nice kit for smooooth flying at the field
"the world needs a pattern style kit" I would order today if they had one of those. I have several large glow engines (61 to 75) that need a home.

A larger version of the Comet would be good. The current one is just too small for me. I want one with retracts that I can put a 61 glow engine on!

Last edited by RC Man; Sep 18, 2019 at 02:31 PM.
Sep 18, 2019, 10:08 PM
Modeling Retread
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
"the world needs a pattern style kit" I would order today if they had one of those. I have several large glow engines (61 to 75) that need a home.

A larger version of the Comet would be good. The current one is just too small for me. I want one with retracts that I can put a 61 glow engine on!

Something classic like a Kaos, a Kwik Fli or a New Era? Yeah, buddy, that would be great.
Sep 19, 2019, 07:56 AM
You all need to spend some time on the Classic Pattern forum.

You'll learn about Ballistic Models, CCK, Balsaworkbench, and more.

The kits are out there.

Andy

Quick Reply