Aug 25, 2019, 02:58 PM
KM6UBL
Thread OP

Flying the striker

Mack kindly let me fly the Striker again, and I had the opportunity to explore the flying characteristics a little more in depth. I found it to track through both inside and outside loops very well. Rolling, as I have written before is very axial and even. Stall turns, double immelman, cuban 8, 4 point and slow rolls are all done by this aircraft with ease. The general handling is pleasant, and the landing was nice and consistent. I find that the tip plates are helpful with wings level orientation. The bottom line is I want one, I am on the list. Some mix will rudder/aileron mix will be required for sustained KE, but for 4 points, etc, it is fine out of the box.

The power is more than adequate with the OS .65 AX, this one using a Jett muffler. Mack is going to build the next one as an electric, I expect good things from that build.

IMO, two features that contribute to this airplane's fine flying qualities are the wing, stab and thrust line being really close, and the ample vertical tail area. The former is what (like the EU1-A) makes it roll so fine, and the latter has been proven to be a vital detail lacking from so many otherwise fine designs.

Robert
to remove ads between posts
Sep 19, 2019, 07:01 PM
Same Day Delivery
Any idea of when this will move from the works stage to Available ?
Sep 19, 2019, 10:33 PM
DavidsPlanes
Quote:
Originally Posted by willys33
Tony,

I had the my first Striker at a AVTI event a few years back. I think some of the pieces are still out there.

Mack
Mack,

Upon reading your comments above on the development of the kit, I noticed you’re considering modifying the design to use plug-in wing panels (a la Kaos 60 ARF) rather than a single piece wing as you have at the moment. One simple option to avoid spending considerable time redesigning the model (fuse in particular) is to use an internal wing tube which allows the panels to be separated for transport. You’d still have what appears as a single piece wing once the panels are joined so no modifications to the fuse design would have to be made. The tube simply acts as a “joining spar” in what would otherwise be a single piece wing reinforced at the center with fiberglass as was typical with models of that era.

Note that no retention of the panels to prevent them separating is required. Instead, you simply use two dowels (one in each panel) up front into the wing LE former and two screws at the back to fix the wing to the fuse. Once bolted on, panel separation is not possible.

Last but not least, it appears that the model has a wing belly pan. This element could be treated as a hatch and attached once the wing is bolted on. A small tab in the front and a latch in the rear or a pair of small 4-40 screws into blind nuts in the wing panels would take care of that. I find this a better and more elegant solution than splitting the pan at the center and making each half integral to the panels.

Just an idea on how to make the model more transportable without major design modifications. Of course, the wing structure will have to be changed slightly to accommodate and provide strength for the phenolic (or cardboard) panel sleeves and CF joiner tube.

David
Last edited by doxilia; Sep 19, 2019 at 10:43 PM.
Sep 22, 2019, 07:27 PM
KM6UBL
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3976
Any idea of when this will move from the works stage to Available ?
Mike,

As of Saturday, 9/21/19 there is no date yet. Hang in there! I am waiting too.

I helped Mack with some trimming, and mixing. It took about 17% on the Rudder/Aileron mix (proverse), but zero rudder/elevator mix on one side, and 3% down on the other. The adverse roll on KE was expected, given the low, zero dihedral wing. The good news is that it is happy flying on it's side, it will even climb, max rudder input is not needed. The more that I fly it, the more I love it.

Mack is all smiles. He capped his first win in Novice class last Saturday, and is now beginning to learn the skillsets for Advanced classic pattern (thus the KE trimming). Mack's comment when he received his first place award was "It helps when you have a goood airplane."

Robert
Sep 23, 2019, 05:16 PM
Same Day Delivery
Robert, Thanks for the up-date, this one has sparked my interest, and your positive feedback feeds the fire! Mike
Oct 05, 2019, 10:08 PM
I have been working on a partial laser cut kit* of the Striker. I am looking forward to the first production kit next week (Oct 7 - 10) [I hope]. This will be a nitro version. An electric version is in the works. My plan is to run a building sequence in RC Groups.
Striker Basic spec:
Wing span – 59”
Cord – 12.75”
Wing Area – 750 sq in
Length – 57”
Motor – O.S. 65AX with Jett muffler
Controls – Aileron, Elevator, Rudder, Throttle

*Striker partial laser cut kit
All bulkheads Balsa and plywood
All ribs, wing, elevator/stabilizer, rudder/fin
Aileron spars
Fuselage sides
Plastic canopy/hatch
Full scale building plans

Have no idea what the cost will be. Will know when the kit shows next week.
Oct 06, 2019, 05:43 PM
Same Day Delivery
:Willys33, looking forward to the short kit and the build sequence, very helpful since I've succumbed to the ARF syndrome for the past decade! A list of wood stock and size to complete the kit would be helpful. For some reason, the rear view keeps me wanting to put an Estes D rocket motor in there
Oct 07, 2019, 02:38 AM
Now that sounds like fun

Quick Reply