Aug 14, 2019, 04:01 PM
KM6UBL
Thread OP
Discussion

Striker (short kit in the works)

Howdy All,

This Striker was built by Mack Moffat. (Outerzone plan oz7486) It was originally featured in the June 1968 issue of RCME, which is a British model magazine. Some might dismiss this design by their bias against the "Hershey Bar" shaped wing, but that would be foolish. I have flown this aircraft, and it flies extremely well. In fact, the only other airplane that I have flown that rolls as well as this one is the EU1-A.

This Striker is a replacement for his original, which met an untimely demise. Mack wanted to be able to reproduce this airplane more easily when this one bites the desert floor, so he is working with a laser cutter guy to produce short kits, and this is the prototype. They are going to incorporate a removable canopy/hatch to more easily accommodate battery changes for those who build it as an electric. The canopy/hatch is plastic, if I understand correctly by Park Flyer Plastics.

I do not know who the cutter is, or any of those details. Mack asked me to post this, as he does not "do" internet forums. So if you have any questions, PM me, and I will pass them along to Mack, and endeavor to get the info back to you.

I would like to have one!

Robert
to remove ads between posts
Aug 14, 2019, 05:17 PM
Love the Striker! Have looked over the plans on OZ many times. If this comes to fruition, I’m in!

R
Aug 14, 2019, 05:19 PM
I second that.
Aug 14, 2019, 07:41 PM
Same Day Delivery
I Third. .?? Yes Whatever...I'm In
Aug 14, 2019, 07:49 PM
Good looking plane.
Aug 14, 2019, 10:20 PM
looks revolutionary for the 60s compared to the Taurus and similar models of that era
Aug 14, 2019, 11:30 PM
I would want one. I've flown one, although it wasn't mine. Maybe the best rolling constant chord model ever.

BTW, it was also published in MAN on October 1969.
Last edited by RC YEAGER; Aug 14, 2019 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Typo
Aug 15, 2019, 09:50 AM
KM6UBL
Thread OP
There seems a good bit of interest. I will pass on anything new regarding the short kit.

Mack is fixin' to build another Striker, this one with electric power.

Robert
Aug 15, 2019, 12:08 PM
RFJ
RFJ
I always preferred the Mk2 version of Striker with strip ailerons, lower, slimmer fuselage and full length rudder.

Placed 9th at the 1970 British Nationals.

Unfortunately plans were never commercially available and the designer is no longer with us.

Ray
Last edited by RFJ; Aug 18, 2019 at 07:32 AM.
Aug 15, 2019, 01:25 PM
Didn’t know there was a MkII. Really like it.

R
Aug 16, 2019, 04:16 PM
KM6UBL
Thread OP

Update

I received this update from Mack:

"Robert,

Good job on presenting the Striker, except the picture of it with me. LOL
Yes, the plastic canopy/hatch was produced by Park Flyer Plastics. I still have a mold to make the canopy/hatch from fiberglass as an option. The company doing the laser cutting is RSM Distribution.I have been working with Eric Rule who owned RSM since 1990 and recently sold it to Mike Hanson and retired.
Eric has been very patient with me and provided good ideas. A pleasure to work with.

My plans are when I get the partial kit I will it build for electric, .60 RimFire, 6S batteries. When I am building, I will design the installation of a tray for the batteries. A tray would not be required if you were only going to use a single 5000ma, 6S battery. It will fit in the area of the fuel tank. If you want to use 2 batteries, like I do in the Kaos, a tray will be the way to go. It looks like 2 6s 5000ma batteries will fit. This is what I have to figure out. I will provide this to Eric, he will do the computer work and laser cut the tray, hole in bulkhead and installation parts, for the electric kits.
There will be a set of plans included for building. These will be stick drawings. Ribs are just a straight line. No thickness.

Now the version III will be ready to sell. I HAVE NO IDEA, AT PRESENT, WHAT IT WILL COST.

It could be provided as:
Electric
Glow
With Option of a fiberglass canopy/hatch.

In the future, I want to modify the wing into a two wing version, like the Kaos. That Hersey bar wing is just huge. How the brits ever got them into their cars is magic. This will be a lot of computer time changing things over.

Mack"
Aug 16, 2019, 05:01 PM
Same Day Delivery
it be nice to provide as an electric / glow option, or the choice of either.
Last edited by mike3976; Aug 17, 2019 at 06:39 AM.
Aug 17, 2019, 01:17 PM
I remember a plane like that at AVTI a few years ago. It was different and really cool!
Is this the same plane?

Scott
Aug 18, 2019, 01:43 PM
Not the same plane, but the same design.
Aug 25, 2019, 11:08 AM

Striker at AVTI

Tony,

I had the my first Striker at a AVTI event a few years back. I think some of the pieces are still out there.

Mack

Quick Reply