Aug 19, 2019, 12:49 PM
The Mr. Rogers of RC soaring
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln
IMHO, the main problem with the Chrysalis is that you can't DLG it. However, even if you could DLG it, it's not meant for the same niche as a fancy moldie. More relaxing to fly. At least if you can handle a javelin style launch.
I think most of us here would say DLGs are pretty relaxing. I like ruderless and find it pretty relexing (you can do most of your flying with just one hand).

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
to remove ads between posts
Aug 19, 2019, 01:28 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln
IMHO, the main problem with the Chrysalis is that you can't DLG it. However, even if you could DLG it, it's not meant for the same niche as a fancy moldie. More relaxing to fly. At least if you can handle a javelin style launch.

It's just an intuition, but it seems to me that the Evo Fire, unless it has a weird airfoil, might benefit from being sheeted further back on the top.
It's possible full sheeting could improve a wing like that a tiny bit, but it's more important up front where the curvature causes alot more distortion in the shape between bays. I'd guess the weight savings from not sheeting the whole thing makes it a wash.
Aug 27, 2019, 07:44 PM
Thread OP
After a bit more research I decided to go with one of these, a Spinnin Birdy. I like the simplicity, I like the design, and it's a balsa kit! Then I can ramp up the electronics side and go for something like the Evo-W (fire) next.

I decided to not worry about ailerons on this one and just have simple ship, even though they offer an aileron version.

BTW, I like the semi-transparent covering on this one, does anyone know what that is?
Aug 27, 2019, 08:16 PM
Looks like laminating film- itís cheap and almost clear / transparent -you can airbrush paint the film ( misted on lightly) on the underside / sticky side and then iron it on.

You can also lightly paint the wood structure and then cover with the laminating film.

Look up laminating film - lots of guys use it on light balsa ships-I think you can find info on that Falke DLG thread and EVO woodie threads .

Jack
Aug 28, 2019, 12:21 AM
Thread OP
Cool. I don't remember this ever being mentioned in 1999 or whatever. Sounds like useful stuff, and cheap. If it's so good for tensile properties, why haven't the model heat shrink covering products gotten the memo?
Aug 29, 2019, 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knapp'sFan
It's possible full sheeting could improve a wing like that a tiny bit, but it's more important up front where the curvature causes alot more distortion in the shape between bays. I'd guess the weight savings from not sheeting the whole thing makes it a wash.
I'd guess it's more than a little bit. A sharp corner like that might trip the flow, especially at higher speeds as found during launch. Turbulent flow will have more drag. The further forward the corner is, the larger the angle. The further back the turbulent flow is on the airfoil, the less drag will be added. I gotta admit I don't have any real data, and I'm sure it depends on the airfoil. Wider sheeting seemed to help on my second set of Sagitta 600 wings, but maybe I just thought they were better..

Quick Reply