Guy Russo Builds NOS Class Maestro Megan Sailplane at the NATS

Every evening at the NATS Guy Russo could be found in "the whale" quietly working to build a plane that he wanted to compete with in the Nostalgia class event.

Splash

Built and Flown at the NATS

Every evening at the NATS Guy Russo could be found in "the whale" quietly working to build a plane that he wanted to compete with in the Nostalgia class event. The model is the Maestro Megan designed by Bob Dodgson who was inducted into the AMA Hall of Fame this year. Guy decided to build this particular plane in honor of Bob.

The Nostalgia class is for planes prior to 1980 and this one is from the 70's. It was great fun seeing the build progress during the week and it looks like the end result turned out fantastic. Great work Guy!

Check out the videos below from Dan McCall to see it in action.

Aug 14, 2019, 08:26 AM
Very awesome. I need to pull mine down and go fly it.
Aug 14, 2019, 11:02 AM
I need to find a set of plans and build it .
Aug 14, 2019, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmaven
I need to find a set of plans and build it .
Check with Shawn Lenci.
Aug 14, 2019, 12:01 PM
The Mr. Rogers of RC soaring
That's awesome. I took these 3 pics of Guy while he was building it.

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
Aug 14, 2019, 07:36 PM
Glider Geek!
Guy,

Nice Job! Beautiful Maestro Megan. I love those "field builds." I've done a few of them myself.

Looks Great!

Shawn Lenci
Aug 15, 2019, 07:55 AM

Nell sailplanes

Could you tell the wind speed when you make these kind of videos? It will help a lot to others, Thank you
Aug 15, 2019, 07:57 AM

NATS Sailplanes

Sorry, should write NATS Sailplane same request ..Could you tell the wind speed when you make these kind of videos? It will help a lot to others, Thank you
Aug 15, 2019, 02:11 PM

wind speed for Megan launch.

This was the second launch of the model at the end of a long day. Wind was light around 5 mph.
This is not a stock Megan. The twin steel wing rods are out and a carbon spar was installed mated to a 1/2 inch wing rod in a carbon 1/2 in tube this was joined to the spar at an angle and the whole unit was wrapped with Kevlar every 1/4 inch. The servos are all MKS digital and the wing servos are in frames. The model flys beutifully and the spar system was designed to shock and awe the NOS gang just like the original Megan did compared to poly floaters in the 70's.. Unfortunately, Mega Megan was not ready in time for the event. I'm glad I completed it anyway. What a pleasure to fly.

Guy
Aug 15, 2019, 08:45 PM
www.SkyBench.com, AMA #137824
It was sure a beauty!
Aug 27, 2019, 02:02 PM
Awesome and beautiful sailplane. I love your color selection. I’m not familiar with the Maestro although I have owned and built several of Bob D’s planes. In fact I have a personally signed note from Bob back in the days I was competing with his Lovesong and Sprite sailplanes. What was the airfoil used and was the fuselage a fiberglass/taco build?

Quick Reply