Oct 08, 2019, 07:44 AM
How were launches with a full 300m of mono compared to the old half braided system ysed in US.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 08, 2019, 08:28 AM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
They were very springy. Even my old airplanes were quite happy on the mono.

I didn't measure launches but they seemed a tad higher. There was wind pretty much all weekend so you didn't have to have crazy pre-tension etc. Honestly I can't remember a single launching accident or mishap except one or two flutter issues.

Thank you BTW for the loaning of equipment. It was well cared for.
Oct 08, 2019, 10:31 AM
What a great weekend!

Wanted to give a few we’ll deserved shout outs: Kerry, Neal and Wayne did an outstanding job of putting on a great contest! Everything went smoothly and we got some great flying in a lot of great conditions.

I also need to give Jeff Duval a big shout out... while he was in the middle of winning a highly competitive contest, he took the time out to sprint down to our lane and call for Noah in nearly every Junior round, the two of them had a blast and I’m sure that Jeff logged several miles between lanes during the weekend!

Team Florida 2.0 (Mike, Steve and Charles) - couldn’t have done it with out y’all, and we had a blast while we were there! Thanks a million for the help!

And lastly, as a dad of a J junior, I am always amazed at how many people take the time to educate and encourage a kid on the field... the list of names would pretty much include everyone who stepped onto the field this week. This is what it’s all about for us, thanks to each and everyone for your time and knowledge.

And really lastly- Noah is honored to be a team member on the US J team this cycle, now our work begins to make sure the young men representing the USA are ready to take on the World next summer!

All the best,

Scott “Noah’s Dad” Myers

Also some pics of our lane!
Oct 08, 2019, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Suter
Are the scores supposed to be at this link? I'm not seeing anything.
Oct 08, 2019, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GliderJim
Are the scores supposed to be at this link? I'm not seeing anything.
Click on Prelim Scores or Prelim Standings.
Oct 08, 2019, 03:32 PM
Amazing weekend! Huge thank you to Kerry, Neal, Dawn, Dwayne, and Josh for hosting. Big love to the Seniors and Juniors that are representing our country at the Worlds, you are all champions. Lots of fun was had by all for sure. Some folks lost some planes over the weekend. I hope you found your planes and that the carnage wasn't too bad.

100% mono was springy and launches were a little higher. One team ran still ran the ground line. Sounds weird but 100% mono actually puts less stress on the thrower body. Some smart person can explain that with a force curve and some kind of body kinematics diagram.

Conditions were fair and varied each day. I don't think it ever got windy, but we had enough where it made it interesting. The last 3 rounds on Monday were representative of that. You had to work several to a half dozen thermals to make your time.

Props to my teammates, Steve, Chris, and Leszek. I wouldn't fly these things without you !

Special mad props to to our ESL brothers Josh and Neal. No mushy stories here
Oct 08, 2019, 05:12 PM
Big thanks to Neal for spending the last month in jnusually hot weather getting the field ready while everyone else was practicing.
Oct 08, 2019, 07:24 PM
I hope by now that everyone has made it home safely.

We had a great time this weekend and witnessed a lot of skill by all pilots. Brayden is excited to be part of such a great team of pilots representing the USA. Thank you to all that helped make this opportunity possible! Brayden has been fortunate to have such great mentors down here in Florida.
Oct 09, 2019, 02:33 AM
F3B and F3K
Congratulations to the US team, Jeff, Josh and Neal.

Especially happy for Josh, I know that he was several times alternate, now he made it!

Also very happy for Neal, great consistency over the years!

Reto
Latest blog entry: thoughts on contest flying
Oct 09, 2019, 03:01 AM
Scale Aircraft = Scale Crators
Just got home. Add the cost of a 2009 MINI Cooper to my losses this weekend.
Oct 09, 2019, 07:15 AM
Thread OP
F3J Team Select 2019 Awards (16 min 50 sec)
Last edited by rc4fun; Oct 13, 2019 at 04:36 AM. Reason: edit out the potty mouth
Oct 09, 2019, 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejr83
Huh? What happened?

-Randy
Oct 09, 2019, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejr83
Mike, you had some bad luck this weekend. I could see you over there still working your butt off for your team, you're awesome.

Hope everything works out.

Joon
Oct 09, 2019, 11:41 AM
Scale Aircraft = Scale Crators
2019 Team FL 2.0 Disappointment Tour

1. Dead Blow Hammer
2. Winch Brake
3. Xplorer Tails
4. X3 4m wing (2016)
5. X2 Team Center Panel
6. X10S Transmitter
7. X3 3.5m wing (2019)
8. 2009 JCW MINI Cooper

In all honesty, I'm joking. This was the first Team Selects that I've participated and I had a blast. It really sucks that my teammates and I broke some equipment but hey that's how things happen some times. We all want to go home with our gear just like it was when we showed up to the field, but no one can say what's gonna happen in one round or the next.

I'm really lucky that I have the support of some awesome soaring pilots and great people. Without Jody and Gordon I would have been hard pressed to get my primary model back in action for the rest of the weekend. Scott provided a lot of encouragement and kept us focused on enjoying the competition. My teammates Steve, Charles, and Noah are second to none. I really feel like we abused the poor kid, but Noah is a beast of a thrower. Thanks for being the workhorse all weekend long man! Charles flew great, provided great team support, and had his son flying in the juniors! That there is some dedication!

Steve, man I'm really glad we got to fly together! It wasn't our turn to be a spoiler or in the heat of the competition this time, but we'll be there lurking and waiting to strike next time!

Congrats to Jeff, Josh, and Neal! We're going to have a great senior team! Our junior team also looks to be a force to recon with. I'm confident that all three of our juniors will be able to put he USA team right at the top of the team podium!

Mike Gardner

PS: So the MINI Cooper story... We left right after the contest, Jody, Steve, and I and headed back to our AirBnB to clean-up and checkout. Being really beat from the competition and after having a few drinks decided to call it a night just a little to the north of Richmond. We spent all day Tuesday driving back to Central Florida and got Jody to his place around 8PM. Steve dropped me off at my parent's place in Cocoa around 9PM-ish. We got the rental van packed back with seats and said our good-byes and I got ready to head out just a little before 10PM. First incident was that the hatch on the car wouldn't stay open. Thanks Steve for filling in that role and holding it open while I played Tetris with all of my gear. Next the car wouldn't start, just turn over. After testing every fuse it was decided to play beat the fuel pump as we didn't hear it prime. After a couple of wacks it started working and I had the car running. I tested turning it off and starting it but more or less just wanted to get something to eat and drive the 2.5 hours back to Gainesville, FL. I swung by a Wendy's on the way out of town and got about another mile down the road when a red temp warning light popped on the dash. I immediately pulled over and said light went away. I turned around and attempted to limp the car back to the Flying J. The temp light would come on after just a moment of throttle so I just pulled it over and let it idle with the hood up while my dad drove up some water and antifreeze. We filled it up on the side of the road and got back to the parking lot and checked for leaks. We saw a small drip that wasn't too concerning. I filled up the water jugs and made off with an anticipation that I'd probably have to stop once to put water in. I got about 2/3 of the way to Gainesville, just to the point of getting off the turnpike and onto I75 to head north when a warning yellow temp light on. Luckily this happened about a 1/4 mile from the last service stop and I was able to get in and fill up the coolant. I got back on the road with no warning lights and got to the first rest stop on I75 and decided to stop and just add some more water as there are some spots on that section of the interstate where it can be a good distance between exits. I filled the overflow tank to the max and set out again. Unfortunately I wasn't able to completely fill the jug but was able to fill it about half way thinking that I should have more than enough water to make it the 50 or so miles to my house. That didn't end up happening. I got about 20 min away and was about halfway between exits on a stretch of road where the distance between the exits is pretty good when it all went up in smoke. Literally. A check engine light I've never seen came on along with the warning light for temp. I dropped the car down to 55mph to try to limp to the exit when finally it went to the red warning light and immediately a lower oil pressure light. I pulled over and stopped. It was done.

I called a tow truck and ended up getting home at 4AM. The 2.5 hour journey turning into almost 5.
Oct 09, 2019, 02:17 PM
Mike, that really sucks. Blown head gasket maybe? Tough weekend...I am really glad you and Stephen came up though. It was fun flying with you guys.

-Randy

Quick Reply