Blu-Beagle, A DPF Pusher-Trainer - Page 104 - RC Groups
Nov 28, 2017, 02:55 AM
jclassic1
Batata,what you have built is a EZ-fly/Blu Beagle hybrid so there is no telling how it will work.
As ES says there are a few oddities with your build which really need sorting out before anyone can help you.
The mixture of foam thicknesses won,t help setting up any plane.
You have to decide which of the two planes you want to build and not mix the two into a hybrid.

John
to remove ads between posts
Nov 28, 2017, 06:53 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Perhaps a good idea to follow the plans !!!
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Nov 28, 2017, 07:06 AM
Potato003
@jclassic1 thanks for your attention! I putted the servos at the back so I could use the least amount of copper wire to connect to the control surfaces. The copper wire that I am using is the lighest thing that I found to connect my servo to the control surfaces. If I place the servos too close to the CG (which would be the ideal) I would have to use long copper wires which are not light! I will try to glide a few with it in a tall grass but I stil cant find such a place here, I am afraid that doing this test I may break the barbecue sticks at the middle of the fuselage. My wing span is 100cm X 20cm. I took a picture with it and a ruler and credit card so you can see the size (attached). I will follow your advice next time, I will avoid mixing 2 planes plans, but I liked sooo much the ezfly that I wanted to keep this plane as close as psosible to the ezfly! The only thing I didnt like in the ezfly is the motor at the middle of the wing so I made this "hybrid" to compensate that.

@Extreme Sports thanks again for your help! I took a picture of my main wing and the tail wing. They are not very aligned you are right, I corrected and sent you the picture!

You have a very good eye in point 2)! I used a thicker foam in the elevator cause I didnt have any more thin foam, I will have to buy more in the downtown! Maybe I will go tomorrow there and I will buy the thin foam and replace the elevator! In the 3) point I didnt understand what is the "tail boom", do you mean the height of the control surface at the vertical, the rudder? I think it's too small too but I had few foam so I had to decrease the size so I could finish the plane. Next time I will make the plane closer to the build plan, I shouldnt have done this. But since you guys encouraged me I will try to fly it and record so you can tell me what went wrong.

@goldguy I will try a taller horizontal stabitlizator and rudder next time, I was short on foam so I had to make everything shorter! I liked the black/red stripes on the tail of your plane, I will do that on mine ezfly!

@gpw Sure Next time I will stick to the original plan!

As soon as the wind gets better here in my city I will fly it and report you back! Raining is approaching tomorrow so it can take a couple days!
Nov 28, 2017, 07:22 AM
gpw
gpw
Batata , we don’t want to discourage your Creativity because that’s how we learned too, but generally the plans are all previously worked out and everything has been tested to operate within certain parameters ( Fly) … Deviations require more "testing” usually beginning with some soft test glides into tall grass or highly padded furniture … Do please Fly it and tell us how it worked …

Ps , we had some involvement in the creation of this plane ( Artwork) , built several ( with variations ) , so we know it flies …
Nov 28, 2017, 07:40 AM
jclassic1
Hi Batata,
as GPW(Glen) says we are certainly not trying to discourage you ,you are doing really well with what seems to be limited resources .
You have to try out your creation because it may well work but at the worse you are learning what scratch building is all about.
At the end of the day it is just bits of foam ,the enjoyment comes from making something with it.
If your Ez-Fly was built to the plans you know that built from plans work.We all modify the plans a little and I am a big culprit for doing this but you will be discouraged if your modified creation doesen,t work so when you can get some more foam build the Blu-Beagle exactly to the plans.

John
Nov 28, 2017, 08:49 AM
Gil, the tail boom is the 'stick' that joins the tail to the fuselage. If you look at the top view photo that you posted, the tail is less than 1 chord length from the wing. That looks much closer than the original BB and could lead to the plane being overly sensitive in pitch. It also looked as it if was very poorly attached to the fuselage, and was pointing up towards the tail.

For some reason, you still seem to be doing silly things that suggest you still have not got your head around some of the basic fundamentals of airplanes. For example, putting the servos at the tail to save weight on the copper push rods (bad material by the way - heavy and ductile) will be very silly if you then have to add weight or use a heavy Lipo to get the plane to balance properly. As for making the HS too small because you 'ran out of foam'...or the elevator from thick foam...

I also think that if you start with someone else's plan, and ask for help building it, you have an obligation to build reasonably closely to the plan the first time round. Of course it is fine to deviate in a few places where you feel you can improve the performance or change it to suit your particular requirements, but doing silly things, and then asking for help is, in my opinion a little disrespectful to the original designer. It also potentially puts other people off building the plane. I know that if you tried to build one of my designs and did to it what you have done to the BB, I'd be quite upset. If you want to build a plane that is a mix of two designs and is going to take some experimentation to get flying, it is probably better to start a new thread, acknowledge the original designers and then go ahead with your hybrid design.

I hope that this does not discourage you, but rather that it helps you 'slow down' a bit, perhaps reflect on what you have learned over the past 6 months about what works and what does not work in aerodynamics and model building. After all, I hope that in a few years time people will be asking you for your advice on learning and designing planes!!
Nov 28, 2017, 10:38 AM
gpw
gpw
EX, well put !!! Sir, you are a diplomat !!!
Nov 29, 2017, 03:05 PM
Potato003
@gpw @jclassic1 you guys are not discouraging me, I got it! You are absolutely right, I need to follow the plans so I can get motivated with good flight, later I can try to make my own plane and get some frustration breaking it! I already had enought frustration at my very beggining into this hobby! The wind is still pretty strong here but as soon as I fly that plane I will show you!

@Extreme Sports you made a nice point, indeed the tail is too close to the main wing! You guys have nice eyes! I think I should have made that further but I was afraid the sticks could flex too much. I also agree with you that I should move the servo to the front but I still think I can find the right CG with my smallest 3S battery. If I still cant find the CG moving the battery closer to the nose you will be absolutely right! I should move the servos to the front INSTEAD of adding a heavier battery! Very nice observation you made, I never thought that way!

@Extreme Sports @gpw I also have to agree with you in respect to modifying the plan! I should respect the original plan and follow it as close as possible, I really dont want to offend anyone modifying the plan but I understand the reasons you said! If not I may fail flying a "modified beagle" and it can discourage other people in doing so believing I was flying the original Beagle! You are absolute right, if I came to this thread and only saw people making very different stuff than the original I think it would be very confusing and would not help anyone! I will follow your suggestion next time and open a new thread if necessary!
Nov 29, 2017, 05:13 PM
gpw
gpw
Batata, This is all for FUN !!! So don’t feel pressured . If it’s any consolation I started flying RC in 1972 and it was many years before I could run the tank out of gas and not crash …. ( I had no help ) .. Just enjoy yourself and have Fun !!! Everybody here is more than enthusiastic to be of some assistance … just enjoy it and learn from our experience ( mistakes ) We all suggest the same thing because it works for us … all of us …
Nov 29, 2017, 07:02 PM
flyin' fool
It's most frustrating to those of us who post our designs, have someone not follow the plan and then complain it flies like crap.

But, we are still willing to help solve the problems to get it working for them, because we want them to enjoy it and have fun.
Nov 30, 2017, 09:28 AM
Potato003
@gpw wow from 1972? With gas motor? In the old days this hobby was probably much harder! Even today with so much tech I still take long time to fly! But thanks for your words, I will always try to have fun despite the crashes!

@goldguy I understand, I 100% agree with you and with @extremeSports! It's not good people coming here not following your plans and complaining about the crash! Next time I will try to stick to the plan!

MEANWHILE, before I try to fly that big "beagle" that I made, I did a smaller version of the beagle this night! I spent some time downscaling the model and despite my effort I think it ended up complete out of proportions! See the images attached! I made a version with a very flexible wing (that didnt fly well in the video below) and I made another wing more rigid and it flied!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UHULLL!!!!

VIDEO: https://photos.app.goo.gl/LTVayYpySWjgSO5C2

Now I am very excited this beagle plane indeed flies!!!! I used a veeeery tiny brushless motor @balsa or carbon provided me, with very small servos, small esc... that he also kindly provided me so the payload was very small! It worked perfectly!

@extremeSports in this plane that I flied (video below) I didnt need all those extra nose of the plane! I could even move the battery close to the wing! So in this case I will try to move the servos closer to the tail to use less copper wire and reduce total weight! I totally agree with you that if I couldnt find the right CG even with the battery at the tip of the nose I should use a bigger battery and that is not good! I agree with you, and your advice was very great! But in this small beagle I did I could easily get the CG close to the wing so I think there wil be no problem moving servos close to the tail, right?

I wanted to make this plane with the wing detachable so I can transport it easily around. I "invented" a thick wire in the nose of the plane (surelly someone already had this idea before me) so I can attach the rubber band from the back (below the motor) to this wire at the nose! It worked very well but if you have another idea to attach the wing to the fuselage I would love to hear! I also 3d printed 4 pieces so I could make the wing horizontal, is there any other alternative for doing that?

NOW I AM VEEERY EXCITED!!! This beagle design was exactly what I needed: no wing behind the prop so the air moves freely, more efficiently and with less noise AND I also like the fact that I can make the wing removeable!! I loved it, congratulations to @Gene Bond for providing this plane and to the people that contributed to this design improving it!!! I think a mix of this plane with EZFLY will be more suitable to my needs but Super Easy, EzFly and Beagle planes are amazing on their own for beginners!!!
Dec 11, 2017, 07:34 PM
Potato003
My friends! Just to let you know! Yesterday we had a very calm day here in my city (no wind) and I could test that bad beagle that I built. As you all noted I didnt follow the plans (sorry!!!) and I was very afraid it would not fly and could even break my motor. Anyway, I decided to give it a try and it flied very well (in my beginner opinion)! This beagle is surely fool proof cause I made it fly

I attached the pictures of the plane (again) so you know which plane I am talking about! The magical video of this plane flying is below!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SH80VUjmN7C1eqKi2

Now I will invest my time making more beagle+ezfly planes cause they are veery easy to build and efficient! Sinceres thanks to @balsa or carbon and @Gene Bond for coming up and sharing these 2 rc planes!!!
Dec 12, 2017, 01:29 PM
Sometimes I have this urge to hop on a plane to Brazil just to show you how a properly built and trimmed plane is supposed to fly

Great that it flies, but as pointed out in the other thread, you definitely need some strength in the wings, and a bit of nose weight.

One idea that may help if you are struggling to get strong spars is to add wing struts. Below is an example. They do make taking the wing on and off a little more complicated, but can be built so that they are easily removable. Even a piece of string can work as a strut, since struts are in tension.
Jan 12, 2018, 02:33 PM
Potato003
@Extreme Sports It would be so nice if you come down here in brazil and teach me how to build these things to fly properly! You are more than welcome to stay with me, I have one small bed under mine so I can drag it out and you can sleep here! The idea that you gave about the wing strut is perfect, I will add it on my next builds! It will surely add much more strenght

I also would like to sayd here to all of you that I built 3 beagles with 3 different sizes: small, medium and big prop/wing! You can see the pictures of them 3 below!

I also flied with the 3 planes and recorded the 3 flights so you can see how amazing these beagle/ezfly planes are! Even a very bad built plane still flies fine \o/ At the end of the video my wing breaks in middle air so I will use your advice of the wing strut to avoid that!

aa (1 min 43 sec)
Jan 13, 2018, 05:13 AM
gpw
gpw
Very Good … !!!

Quick Reply