Sep 17, 2019, 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page
Has anybody measured their actual Amp draw? I ask because....
On setup my ESC smoked as soon as it say power. No idea why -- so.....
I decided to use the newish FrSky Neuron80 telemetry ESC as the replacement. I've not flown yet -- but static on the bench this ESC reported I was pulling 100 amps with battery @ 3.7v/cell. (actually peaked @ 99). The ESC can take bursts of upto 120 - but I tend to fly fast aircraft with long bursts of full throttle.
what is the pole count on this motor (number of magnets in the bell)? I would try low timing, and if the motor revs up without stuttering I would keep it there
my2c
to remove ads between posts
Sep 17, 2019, 07:29 PM
Another monkey off my back...one more successful turbine foamie conversion maiden went perfect! Flight vid coming soon...

What a great airframe for these micro turbines!
Sep 17, 2019, 08:45 PM
Here is video of your launch

1st micro turbined hobbyking flycat

Watch "Hobbyking flycat with micro turbine" on YouTube
Hobbyking flycat with micro turbine (0 min 31 sec)
Sep 18, 2019, 03:15 AM
Old enough to know better.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubcrazy
This plane gave me more trouble removing the decals than any other model I have ever repainted. I threw multiple chemicals at them. (Acetone, Isopropal Alcohol, Goo-Gone, Mineral Spirits, Turtle Wax Sticker Remover spray) Then I used a few different stick and pull materials. (Packing tape, Oracal 751, 3M Chrome 1.5mil tape, DucTape, and industrial strength double sided tape) I did eventually get the decals off, but not with 0 scarring. Packing tape by itself will easily pull the surface sheen off of foam. anyway.

But...I am done with decorating. Vinyl and bare white foam except the exhaust ring which is Rustoleum chrome spray. Now on to assembly and prep for flight.

-CC
That looks great. Well done
Sep 19, 2019, 01:36 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
Picked one up from HK Tom at NEAT fair. The only 6s I own right now are all 5000mah, so this could be interesting, I'll have to read up a bit.
Sep 19, 2019, 02:09 PM
Old enough to know better.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool
Picked one up from HK Tom at NEAT fair. The only 6s I own right now are all 5000mah, so this could be interesting, I'll have to read up a bit.
5000 will fit. It's a tight fit, but it goes in. My friend and I fly ours on Zippy Compact 4500's as those are used in all our other jets.
Sep 19, 2019, 11:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool
I'm pulling this from my back pocket (so to speak) as I've not flown mine yet -- but while the 5000mah will fit -- it might make hand launching just a bit more adventuresome with the additional weight. I'm going with 3.3Ah and 3.5Ah in mine.
Sep 20, 2019, 07:37 AM
I Used To Have More Free Time!
I fly the Zippy Compact 4000s and would not want any more weight
Sep 20, 2019, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page
I'm pulling this from my back pocket (so to speak) as I've not flown mine yet -- but while the 5000mah will fit -- it might make hand launching just a bit more adventuresome with the additional weight. I'm going with 3.3Ah and 3.5Ah in mine.
The wing surface area and shallow sweep give it good slow speed handling. If you can get it to fit and balance, hand launch with 5000mAH should not be a problem.
Latest blog entry: Digital LED Voltmeter
Sep 21, 2019, 09:06 PM

Finally ready for maiden

After smoking the stock ESC as soon as applying power to it (no idea why) -- I replace it with a FrSky Neuron telemetry ESC. Rather than explaining why I'm excited about the telemetry -- this little video demonstrates one other feature of using a BLHELI32 ESC that makes me grin. (also have the Imperial March).

BLHeli Air Force Theme Song (0 min 8 sec)
Sep 21, 2019, 09:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmdbud
The wing surface area and shallow sweep give it good slow speed handling. If you can get it to fit and balance, hand launch with 5000mAH should not be a problem.
My Flycat suffered a broken-nose mishap, but it still flew great, so I was using it as a general "beater" fun plane. On a whim I put in a China Hobby Line 70C 5000mAH battery - had to shove it in all the way back to get to the CG. After 2 attempts, it became obvious that the weight had reduced the stall speed to the point where handlaunch was unworkable.

If your 5000mAH batter is lighter than the one I used (probably so if the C rating is lower), you might have better luck. Otherwise, optional landing gear would be wiser, to get it up to speed. Or a catapult.
Sep 21, 2019, 09:53 PM
I review RC Products
Yeah man, that is why they recommend a 3000, but you can get away with up to 4000's. 5,000's are asking for trouble.

GB
Sep 22, 2019, 02:17 AM

Phoenixflier

The fan on mine is noisy!.
Please can somebody tell me an easy way to balance it.
Awesome model apart from that.
Sep 22, 2019, 02:19 AM
The fan on my Fly cat is very noisy, please can somebody explain how I balance it?
Many thx.
Sep 22, 2019, 05:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixflier
The fan on my Fly cat is very noisy, please can somebody explain how I balance it?
Many thx.
There's something called the "clock method" - you install the fan, post and retaining nut & washer, then in successive steps loosen & move the rotor 1 step, tighten, and test until you determine the smoothest balance position (go by vibration, not sound, since the fuselage will be in effect a speaker element for the EDF unit). You can further adjust in smaller steps until your are satisfied you found the best spot.

Then you install the spinner and repeat the same steps for it.

There are 3 elements that can be out of balance - the motor, the fan assembly and the spinner - so if the motor is out of balance, you might be limited to how smooth you can get it, but at least you minimize it.

When spinning up the motor, go through low to medium-high. If the EDF is noisy at a particular setting, it is at resonance. You will want to "tune" the fan so the resonance is at low throttle or pushed out past high throttle, otherwise the vibrations could mechanically loosed some parts of the plane.

Quick Reply