Sep 09, 2019, 08:44 PM
I review RC Products
Good job Craig!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 10, 2019, 01:01 AM
Giant Scale 3D
I removed the decals as well, it was fairly easy! Now it's time to think about what to do next...
Sep 10, 2019, 01:13 AM
Seeing it naked makes me want it more. Like I could get it and make a small project of stripping it, painting it, etc, and worry about lipos later. Instead of looking at it as a bigger all-at-once purchase, including - for me - bigger expensive lipos..(I'm really hesitant to start buying yet another size of lipo. I have a MOUNTAIN of 3S, 4S, and 5S lipos...)

BTW, how would the Rhino 6S 3500s be?

https://hobbyking.com/de_de/rhino-35...ck-w-xt90.html

The problem is, what else could I ever use them in? €150 for three lipos that I'd only ever use in one plane is kind of a barrier....
Sep 10, 2019, 01:23 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Seeing it naked makes me want it more. Like I could get it and make a small project of stripping it, painting it, etc, and worry about lipos later. Instead of looking at it as a bigger all-at-once purchase, including - for me - bigger expensive lipos..(I'm really hesitant to start buying yet another size of lipo. I have a MOUNTAIN of 3S, 4S, and 5S lipos...)
Why not 2 x 3s lipos in series?
Sep 10, 2019, 01:31 AM
I've only got 3S in 1300-2200 size. I'd have to buy six 3S 3300s or what? That doesn't sound very practicable. Plus nothing I could or would use a 3S 3300 in. I fly %95 4S...(EFXtra, Funracer, various wings, Rare Bear, V900, Tundra, Excalibur, quads, etc...)
Sep 10, 2019, 01:40 AM
Quote:

BTW, how would the Rhino 6S 3500s be?

https://hobbyking.com/de_de/rhino-35...ck-w-xt90.html

The problem is, what else could I ever use them in? 150 for three lipos that I'd only ever use in one plane is kind of a barrier....
The Viper you were looking @.
Sep 10, 2019, 01:44 AM
Would need to be hand launchable... Also, EDFs being new territory for me, I'd have to get some experience with the first one to see if I'd really want a second one. How would the Viper and the Flycat compare? Which is faster, more forgiving, etc? I guess the Viper has a rudder, which is the first big difference. Landing gear I don't care about...

ps The E-flite F-15 PNP is "on sale" for €150 right now. And I have plenty of good 4S 2200s for it... The Flycat though, for €10 more, seems like so much more plane for the money. I'd just need double its price for new lipos... The freakin' new Rhino 4S 2200s are like €15 - compared to €50+ for the 6S 3500s...
Sep 10, 2019, 08:04 PM
I review RC Products
I for a few years balked at adding 6S packs to my inventory, but once I did, I couldn't be happier. The only downside is my 2-4S planes are kinda boring in comparison
Sep 11, 2019, 12:57 AM
I understand that well. It was the same for me going from 3s to 4S(which was AWESOME...) However, I have a garage full of 20 planes or so, plus quads, cars, etc.. I even started building up a collection of 5S lipos last year. I'm not going to start buying even bigger and more expensive stuff, and leave the mountain of stuff I already have laying around unused. Additionally, one of the significant factors I'm discovering is that it's basically impossible to sell some of the planes I no longer want(FMS 800mm P-47, Micro Skyhunter, Eachine Fury, Parkzone Wildcat, the stupidest plane ever the foamboard F-35, etc etc... So what do you do - just throw them in the trash?...)

Anyway, I was just watching some videos, and thinking out loud here, I think I'll likely get the F-15 first and see how it goes. I mean I have plenty of batteries for it, it's small for transporting and storing, etc. If there's a sale at HK over the winter I might get a Flycat, paint it, and wait for a mega-sale to get lipos for it... Not going to spend €300+ on it right now though... Especially with winter coming. I do want it though.
Sep 11, 2019, 01:37 AM
Quote:
So what do you do - just throw them in the trash?...)
Give them away. It will give you pleasure to help another and give them pleasure to have a new airframe. Can't tell you how many airplanes I've given away when I was done with them - some even NIB but I didn't get around to and had grown out of before I did. These are TOYS. They are for playing with - breaking - and when you're done enjoy handing down to another. Karma will smile on you.
Sep 11, 2019, 01:59 AM
I wouldn't have a problem with that(even though there is no such thing as karma...). The problem is I don't know anybody to give them to. And I wouldn't do it on ebay or whatever. Too much hassle.. Selling RC stuff has become a gigantic and tedious headache in the last years. It's all nitwit young kids on FB or whatever, with whom you waste a 30-message exchange because at the end they bail or just flake out or whatever... Doing that in order to give stuff away? Naaa...

I did join a club recently - but am not in that town regularly. And I found one near home recently - visited last weekend. Guys flying giant turbine and Moki planes and stuff. I don't think they'll care about my Micro Skyhunter or 800mm P-47. Though if I do end up going there again and talking to people more, who knows. It's not my inclination to get more involved with clubs though. I like to do my own thing, when I want and where I want...

Anyway, back on the topic of the Flycat. I will keep checking this thread, as it's high on my list - despite the battery barrier...
Sep 11, 2019, 06:47 AM
Acft Attn Deficit Disorder
This plane gave me more trouble removing the decals than any other model I have ever repainted. I threw multiple chemicals at them. (Acetone, Isopropal Alcohol, Goo-Gone, Mineral Spirits, Turtle Wax Sticker Remover spray) Then I used a few different stick and pull materials. (Packing tape, Oracal 751, 3M Chrome 1.5mil tape, DucTape, and industrial strength double sided tape) I did eventually get the decals off, but not with 0 scarring. Packing tape by itself will easily pull the surface sheen off of foam. anyway.

But...I am done with decorating. Vinyl and bare white foam except the exhaust ring which is Rustoleum chrome spray. Now on to assembly and prep for flight.

-CC
Latest blog entry: From the CC Paint Shop
Sep 11, 2019, 08:20 AM
That looks awesome!..
Sep 11, 2019, 10:53 AM
Acft Attn Deficit Disorder
Thanks Herrsavage. Color with a pinstripe edge is my go-to. I knew the wings were gonna come out this way, but I wasn't sure what I was gonna do everywhere else.

Poking around looking at viable retract options, it looks like the Freewing BAE Hawk T1 gear set could be the ticket. For about $50 shipped from MotionRC to get just about all the necessary bits, I think I will give it a go. I am not going to get the upgrade struts just yet since I fly from pavement.

Here is a pic in the sunlight. The chrome leading edges will really catch the sunlight!

-CC
Latest blog entry: From the CC Paint Shop
Sep 11, 2019, 10:20 PM
I review RC Products
That looks like a Havoc Flycat! Great work Cubcrazy

Quick Reply