to remove ads between posts
Sep 26, 2019, 12:28 PM
RC-addicted
I did some approaches different than you:

The best place for the RX was under the ESCs, but with a battery strap installed, there was not enough space, so I went creative with it, see picture one and two.

The battery cable/cap went into a shrink tube, and a cable tie plus shrink tube works just fine for the antenna of the RX, see pic three.
Sep 28, 2019, 05:32 PM
making crashing a lifestyle!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge Roth
I had some flights with mine now, and the cam is definitely nothing Eachine can be proud of.
it's actually a caddx camera..

and yeah.. massive fish eye..
Sep 28, 2019, 06:02 PM
RC-addicted
Fish eye doesn't worry me, it's the color handling, that makes this cam an embarrassment.
Sep 29, 2019, 11:12 AM
Aaron Test

Starting PIDs for 2S

Has anyone got any recommendations for PID settings for 2S (450mah battery), still on BF3.5.5? Finished my build but just waiting for some 6mm screws for the props and for rain to stop (it's seem to have been raining all September in the UK).
Sep 30, 2019, 04:01 AM
Aaron Teat: Try flashing Betaflight 4.1, it performs really good on defaults.
Sep 30, 2019, 04:14 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Quote:
Originally Posted by heimwolf
Aaron Teat: Try flashing Betaflight 4.1, it performs really good on defaults.
Also on small quads? I understand that BF4.x defaults often cause runaways on small quads. It would be nice if that is fixed in 4.1 version.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Sep 30, 2019, 10:37 AM
Can't fly 3D for toffee ...
Well, mine didn't last long! I enjoyed putting it together. I used an XM+. I did a LoS and FPV maiden then hit the ground on the second flight doing one of those 'look back' manoeuvres but looking back for too long!

Picture was not right and it wouldn't arm so I brought it home and disassembled. Basically the FC is dead! A few times when building and testing, I would get random times where the XM+ would suddenly light up red then back to green. I never got to the bottom of it and thought it was now OK. Maybe the wet grass did something. Don't suppose I'll ever know. It's a pity because, if I liked it (I did), I was thinking of maybe keeping the guts to put in a more protective frame with better camera.

My Mobula, 3" and 5" have all hit the ground harder, many times and are absolutely fine so it was a surprise this little fellow was not very resilient. I do suspect some sort of latent defect.

FPV: Tyro69 maiden (2 min 51 sec)
Sep 30, 2019, 12:18 PM
RC-addicted
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan
Also on small quads? I understand that BF4.x defaults often cause runaways on small quads. It would be nice if that is fixed in 4.1 version.
I run mine with 4.0.6, stock PIDs, and it flys nice on 2s batteries, no nasty behavior.

But not on the original props, I use 2.3" ones for the Babyhawk.
Last edited by Serge Roth; Sep 30, 2019 at 12:23 PM.
Sep 30, 2019, 12:22 PM
RC-addicted
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAround
Maybe the wet grass did something.
All my quads get a waterproof coating on all electronics, since I do that, wet grass or slight rain has never been a problem again.
Sep 30, 2019, 01:21 PM
Aaron Test
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan
I am embarrassed to say it but all of my other quads are actually on BF3.3.3.

Given all of the horror stories about burnt out motors on micro's, runaways etc I stuck with that. I have little patience with tuning as I just want to get out and fly, things like feed forward and filters are way beyond may attention span. I guess the defaults on 3.5.5 aren't too horrific.

There's no functional improvements in Betaflight 4+ that I desperately need.
Sep 30, 2019, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge Roth
All my quads get a waterproof coating on all electronics, since I do that, wet grass or slight rain has never been a problem again.
I'm embarrassed to say I bought some conformal coating a couple of months ago and forgot I even had it! How do I use it, just paint it all over the circuit boards?
Sep 30, 2019, 04:56 PM
Aaron Test
Quote:
I'm embarrassed to say I bought some conformal coating a couple of months ago and forgot I even had it! How do I use it, just paint it all over the circuit boards?
Yep. Stay away from boot buttons, USB, connectors etc. Paint it on after you've soldered everything and leave it to dry overnight to be safe.
Oct 01, 2019, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Teat
Yep. Stay away from boot buttons, USB, connectors etc. Paint it on after you've soldered everything and leave it to dry overnight to be safe.
Many thanks. If I need to solder something later, is it easy to remove from the joint/pad?

My plan is to buy a cheap 'coffin' frame for more camera and VTX protection, a Runcam Racer Nano 2 and a cheapo FC and then it can fly again. All 3 of my quads will get conformal coating before they next fly. I'm new to quads and have only been flying them over Spring and Summer and had not thought to give wet grass due respect!
Oct 01, 2019, 04:06 PM
Aaron Test
Quote:
Many thanks. If I need to solder something later, is it easy to remove from the joint/pad?
It can be burned off with your soldering iron. Just reapply the conformal coating when you're done.

Quick Reply