Aug 13, 2019, 10:10 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Landing giant scale floaters

I've reached a point of life where giant scale floaters are my favorite flyers. The fleet includes a Champ, Cub, and Fly Baby all having Clark Y foils. I've discovered the benefit of long lower pitch wide blade props which produce the braking action to aid in keeping these floaters... from.... er... floating too far when landing.

In fact, the risk is that the idle is too low, causing too much braking and a sudden stall of the Clark Y foils. Fortunately our modern transmitters provide solutions, aka setting up a landing idle speed. On my Xmitter I use a right slider to engage the fast idle for landing...it being adjusted to provide a correct landing speed.

The mix is a Rslider to throttle and a percentage that provides the increase to meet the ideal landing speed.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 14, 2019, 05:20 AM
How about using a three position switch on the transmitter to control throttle idle setting. Set up three throttle curves with each switch position selecting a diffent curve. Each curve is identical except for the idle setting. Use switch position 2 as high idle throttle say 1800 rpm for landing approach, switch position 1 is a reliable low idle say 1200 rpm switched just before touchdown and for taxying back, switch position 0 is throttle kill. Easy and very effective use of tramsitter programming.
Aug 14, 2019, 07:08 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaos40
How about using a three position switch on the transmitter to control throttle idle setting. Set up three throttle curves with each switch position selecting a diffent curve. Each curve is identical except for the idle setting. Use switch position 2 as high idle throttle say 1800 rpm for landing approach, switch position 1 is a reliable low idle say 1200 rpm switched just before touchdown and for taxying back, switch position 0 is throttle kill. Easy and very effective use of tramsitter programming.
What I'm seeing for props like an APC 16.5 x 5w on my Cub, is that I need about 2600 rpms for landing. Yeah, I know... it sounds fast but even at that rpm, the braking action is strong and kills a lot of the momentum of the plane setting it for a good landing speed.

On both my Champ and Fly Baby, 18x6w props are used, and they also require higher than idle landing speeds. Of course, these wide lower pitch props don't have to be chosen and these planes can be landed at full idle with with props that don't have the braking action especially into good headwinds, but on light air days they show their value... and it is usually a light air day when I choose to fly such planes.
Aug 14, 2019, 03:35 PM
Go fly a jet today
Excellent suggestion to have the different idle rpms on a switch, I would use a two or even a three position switch but with only two speeds, I would also keep the throttle kill switch separately to avoid stopping the engine in the heat of the moment.
Aug 17, 2019, 05:32 PM
I like to see somebody who actually realizes the throttle is part of the landing process!
So many people have trouble with landings because they just chop the throttle and try to stab the runway!
That being said, I only have one plane right now with a switch on idle because it just doesn't like a long time at low idle. So I switch up to make sure I don't get a dead stick and then back down after landing. Makes touch and goes a lot more fun 😎
Jim

Quick Reply