Jan 28, 2020, 01:43 PM
Old newb
Quote:
Originally Posted by koppterX
anyone headed to palomar next weekend for some towing?
Next month. This coming first Saturday of the month is the first fun fly of the year at Torrey Pines.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ostcount=19270

I am not a Palomar member. Do I need a member to take me along as a guest? Have AMA.

Never done aero tow (I am slope trash) but my little lowly PZ Ka8 does have the factory tow hitch.

I would like to try my Ka8 on aerotow. My Tangerine Dream Radian needs to fly again too.

Never been to Palomar.

Gee all these new things to me after 40+ years!
to remove ads between posts
Jan 28, 2020, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by r39o
Next month. This coming first Saturday of the month is the first fun fly of the year at Torrey Pines.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ostcount=19270

I am not a Palomar member. Do I need a member to take me along as a guest? Have AMA.

Never done aero tow (I am slope trash) but my little lowly PZ Ka8 does have the factory tow hitch.

I would like to try my Ka8 on aerotow. My Tangerine Dream Radian needs to fly again too.

Never been to Palomar.

Someone would need to bring a suitable small towplane, or rig one up - your PZ Ka-8 would be a rag doll in the teeth of a bulldog with the typical towplane used for the 1/4-1/3 scale glass slippers usually flown for scale aerotow!

I have a small-ish (50") electric tug set up with a removable tow hook (mounts above wing using existing rubberbands) that would work but it hasn't flown in 10+ years. If I can dig it out and refurbish (i.e. dust off and set up on my current Tx) i can bring it.

Barry
Jan 28, 2020, 02:44 PM
My Parkzone foam KA-8 towed beautifully behind a DA-150 powered towplane, just respect the foam model for what it is. Easy way is to tow nearly straight up to about 600.
Latest blog entry: Testing the blog page
Jan 28, 2020, 03:36 PM

Sure, you could....

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2000
My Parkzone foam KA-8 towed beautifully behind a DA-150 powered towplane, just respect the foam model for what it is. Easy way is to tow nearly straight up to about 600.
...just doesn't sound like much fun for the first-time aerotow glider pilot! Flying in a scale manner is a big part (to me) of the appeal in R/C aerotowing - speaking as a full scale sailplane pilot (and former tow pilot, out at Sailplane Enterprises circa mid-80's).

But yes, I'm sure (with care) you could.

Cheers,

Barry
Jan 28, 2020, 04:11 PM
Old newb
I am told the Ka8 is basically hands off during tow. It just follows. Tow too fast and it goes high. Slow it goes low. Goldie Locks will get it just right.

I am sure some bigger electric can pull it easy enough.

Just as in my youth flying full scale sailplanes, I am mainly concerned with landing (on the runway.)

The rest is easy.

This weekend it gets tossed at Torrey......
Jan 28, 2020, 04:32 PM
Gasbags & Gussets

the 50" should work well for your PZ k8

Quote:
Originally Posted by r39o
Next month. This coming first Saturday of the month is the first fun fly of the year at Torrey Pines. Never been to Palomar.
First and foremost i would go and at least visit the Palomar RC field this saturday after 10 am and the
towing may begin around 11ish.

You can be a visitor and fly the aerotow, the club and Jim G. are the sponsors.

I think Barry's 50" e-tow model or that sized tow plane will work fine for your pz k8.

The weakest link would be the stock pz tow release so if that works the rest will be easy.
Others can take a look and see if it will be ready to go.
In the past there have been "smaller" e-tow planes for the smaller gliders.
You already know to slope soar you can aerotow too - just ask questions about the tow process.

Bring some water, a sandwich, and long sleeve shirt for the later breeze and enjoy seeing a new aspect of the sport.

john s.
This PZ K8 model has reinforced spars and flow often behind regular sized tow planes
Last edited by jswain; Jan 28, 2020 at 04:41 PM.
Jan 29, 2020, 07:11 PM
Thread OP

Feb 1 Aerotow at Palomar

To my knowledge we will only have a small e-tow plane tow up to 10lbs. Unless some one brings a bigger one.
Jan 29, 2020, 08:40 PM
ask and ye shall receive...I will be there with the pawnee. not a powerhouse, but good for the lighter end of up to the 6m ships.
Jan 31, 2020, 01:26 AM
Just realized this Saturday is the 50th anniversary TPG fun-fly at Torrey...I need to be there to drop off and pick up a couple of planes so won't be attending the aerotow this weekend. But have fun, and if anyone can help you with towing the PZ Ka-8, I'm sure Paul (KoppterX) is the guy.

Cheers,

barry
Feb 01, 2020, 07:53 PM
Thread OP

First Saturday of the Month Aerotow for Feb

Ken Kaye towed me three times to good lift. Too bad only John Swain and I were there. Next one March 7th you guys are missing some good lift and no line!
Feb 17, 2020, 07:47 PM
Thread OP
We have Don VanGundy towing with his Bidule for Saturday March 7th. This tow plane can tow anything you got.
Mar 09, 2020, 06:53 PM
Thread OP
Saturday the 7th of March was a beautiful day, strong lift, absolutely no problem to get to 399'. Or so under 5-7000' cu cloud bases. Mike Smith had his ASW-17 running around the GPS course. We only had 3 sailplanes to aerotow so no lines.
Mar 09, 2020, 07:23 PM
I will start showing up for these again, soon as my ASW-17 is ready. Almost there!

Tom
Mar 09, 2020, 11:24 PM
i really wanted to come but was worried about the rain clouds forming around the house...glad it worked out for those that went. hopefully can make it down there soon.....
Mar 10, 2020, 11:28 PM
Thread OP

April 4th First Saturday of the Month Aerotow

April 4th FSotMA we do it again. I hate to have all the fun by myself. Come on out see for your self.

Quick Reply