The 2019 Heli Extravaganza Sliding Auto Contest

Start practicing now because the 2019 Heli Extravaganza is coming up soon and you won't want to miss the Sliding Auto Contest sponsored by Random RC.

Splash

Get Your Slide On

Start practicing now because the 2019 Heli Extravaganza is coming up soon and you won't want to miss the Sliding Auto Contest sponsored by Random RC. It is sure to be a fun time at the amazing Triple Tree Aerodrome. Here's more about the contest.

The 2019 Heli Extravaganza Sliding Auto Contest

It's Free!

Ready for a break from piro flips, hurricanes, and inverted auto overspeeds? Something relaxing and amusing? Random RC is sponsoring a Sliding Autorotation Contest at the 2019 Heli Extravaganza at the Triple Tree Aerodrome. There's no cost to enter and you get a cool T-shirt for participating.

The Program:

• Before the Contest: Visit the Pilots’ Lounge for your Official Contest T-Shirt
  • Friday, 10/11/19: Practice and expert (Steve O’Connor & Robert Montee) instruction
  • Saturday, 10/12/19: the Contest (approximately 2 hours)

The Contest Rules:

• Helicopters must be 550 size or larger.
  • Each helicopter will have Random RC skis attached to the skids.
  • Each pilot will fly up to four autos.
  • The autorotation must begin at or above 50’ AGL (OK, we'll eyeball it).
  • Initial touchdown must be within the marked 30' long 'touchdown zone.'
  • (The touchdown zone has a 'foul line.' The helicopter must touch down before the foul line in order for a slide to count.)
  • Sliding distance is measured from the foul line to the position of the main rotor shaft at the end of the slide.* (Pilots should endeavor to touch down as close to the 'foul line' as possible to have the maximum amount of their slide distance included in their score.)
  • *This method eliminates the need for spotters and marking the initial touchdown point.

The Winners

• Longest Single Slide
  • Longest Combined Three Slides
  • Longest Failed Auto 'Tumble' (or debris field)

All three winners will receive:

• A set of Random RC skis (slightly used) with Skid Clamps mounted to fit their heli,
  • Bragging rights for at least until the next contest.

Robert Montee Steve O'Connor

Expert Instruction and Practice - You can DO this! OK, so maybe you can do autos but you're not completely comfortable about it. Or you're pretty comfortable with autos but you've never slid one. Well, we have two guys who can help you.

On Friday during the event Robert Montee and Steve O'Connor will demonstrate their skills at sliding autos and will provide one-on-one instruction on the techniques you'll want to learn to do massive sliding autos. Together, they'll get you not just comfortable, but ready for the Saturday contest. (And if Robert and Steve are feeling really frisky, maybe we can get them to ski the pond.

Skis? Why Skis?

Because you can slide like a monster, farther than you've ever slid before. OK, this silliness started several years ago and was made famous by one of our Instructor Pilots, Steve O'Connor, who successfully skied the POND at Triple Tree. Then, Raja Bortcosh asked for some wider skis that would allow him to ski on snow with his gassers. One thing led to another and here we are.

The skis are 1/16" thick aluminum, 2-3/4" wide. They'll add about 320 grams to your heli. There's a spreader between the skis that keeps them flat to the bottom of the heli—preventing them from rotating in flight (ask me how we learned this was important).

We've got set ups for pretty much anything you bring to the contest, including 8mm, 9mm, 10mm, and 12mm skid pipes as well as Goblin-style CF skids. We've even got a special set up for Diabolo and TDR CF skids. We'll have enough sets of skis to keep guys flying their practice runs and the contest runs without waiting. And of course the winners get to take theirs home.

Check out the The 2019 Heli Extravaganza Sliding Auto Contest Page Here

Aug 13, 2019, 01:22 PM
I am...
This is pretty neat!
Who's gonna slide a TDR? I might know a guy
Aug 14, 2019, 09:39 AM
Do this...the Heli industry has too many spare parts because you guys are getting too good. Break some stuff and save the suppliers..LOL
Aug 14, 2019, 02:32 PM
rc user
wow my brain really misinterpreted the title.
i thought you had to auto "slide" sideways(aileron) through the air and reach a designated landing spot.
but then it all made sense when i saw the skis.
Aug 14, 2019, 04:51 PM
I am...
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed2004
Do this...the Heli industry has too many spare parts because you guys are getting too good. Break some stuff and save the suppliers..LOL
Your hypothesis is confirmed by the third trophy qualification:

Quote:
The Winners
Longest Single Slide
Longest Combined Three Slides
Longest Failed Auto 'Tumble' (or debris field
Yesterday, 03:48 PM
RBW's sock puppet account.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed2004
Im certainly doing my part.

Quick Reply