Aug 13, 2019, 04:47 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

How to solve the problem of insufficient batteries in UAV flight

I did a distance test with my UAV and planned to use motion mode to reach a distance of about 6KM and an altitude of 1KM. But when the drone flew to a distance of 3.5km, I ignored the RTH and realized that I might not have enough power to continue the test. Although the controller says 35% power, I guess it's probably less than 35%. So I went back in motion mode manually, and I had to land about 1/4 mile from where I started, and run over to find it. Although there were good signal and image transmission, changes in ambient temperature made the battery very unstable, leading to testing that was often limited by the battery. Would you like to ask the masters usually encounter this kind of situation? How would you solve this problem?
to remove ads between posts
Aug 13, 2019, 08:19 PM
I have encountered a similar situation with you, especially in winter when low-temperature, batteries limit the flight of drones.
Aug 13, 2019, 10:04 PM
Bombs away! Err...landing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stern
But when the drone flew to a distance of 3.5km, I ignored the RTH and realized that I might not have enough power to continue the test. Although the controller says 35% power, I guess it's probably less than 35%.
Is that 35% based on voltage, which is hugely effected by current draw, or energy used?

Also, 35% remaining at a bit over 1/4 of the flight completed, yeah, I'd say you might not have enough power.
Aug 13, 2019, 10:35 PM
It's true that the biggest technical problem with drones is keeping them on the road. So far, attempts have been made to transmit electricity from the ground to the drone through cables so it can continue to fly.This is the recently popular UAV tether system
Aug 13, 2019, 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Flight
It's true that the biggest technical problem with drones is keeping them on the road. So far, attempts have been made to transmit electricity from the ground to the drone through cables so it can continue to fly.This is the recently popular UAV tether system
This is the design drawing of the equipment
Aug 13, 2019, 10:54 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira NZ
Is that 35% based on voltage, which is hugely effected by current draw, or energy used?

Also, 35% remaining at a bit over 1/4 of the flight completed, yeah, I'd say you might not have enough power.
Yeah, 35% is left over. I had to terminate the test for the return trip
Aug 13, 2019, 10:57 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
But cables can still hinder the flight
Aug 14, 2019, 09:50 AM
My tapeworm tells me what todo
Quote:
But cables can still hinder the flight

Think more than flying distance, this would replace a 10,000lb camera rig/boom on a movie set.

Don't need a truck and trailer to move it either
Aug 14, 2019, 09:10 PM
Quote:
That tethered devices can be charged, but have a distance limit, and are generally used for a long time fixed flight.
Aug 15, 2019, 08:55 PM
First, you need to confirm your purpose, but I don't think your test is suitable for tethered devices

Quick Reply