Aug 12, 2019, 07:52 PM
The Mr. Rogers of RC soaring
Thread OP
Cool

F3RES News

I thought I would start a thread for folks to post "news" items related to 2 meter woody RES planes (AKA F3RES). The purpose is to encourage enthusiasts of 2 meter woody RES planes but also to inspire folks who haven't yet given these planes a chance to do so. I'm thinking the following type things would be great:

* F3RES contest announcements/promotion
* F3RES contest write ups
* Showing off your recently finished 2 meter woody RES planes (regardless of if you intend to every fly contests with it or not)
* Reports of practice sessions you or you and your friends have conducted
* Promotion of new 2 meter woody RES kits or information on mods/upgrades/etc. on existing kits
* General encouragement of 2 meter woody RES flying

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
to remove ads between posts
Aug 12, 2019, 08:53 PM
Thread OP

2019 RES Nationals

I'll start. I flew the 2019 US RES Nationals held in Muncie, Indiana at the AMA national flying site August 11 and 12, 2019. It was the final event of the 2019 Nats and after 10 days many folks were not able to stay for F3RES but there were 16 of us that flew. Gil Gauger the CD organized the event in 4 teams of 4 pilots. High starts and landing tapes were provided by the HOTSS club from San Antonio, Texas. We flew 10 rounds. 5 Sunday and 5 Monday.

The contest was conducted in 4 flight groups. Each flight group you were either flying, timing, calling air, or shagging launch lines. After each round the teams shifted to the next launch/landing lane.

For me this was my 2nd F3RES contest my prior contest being the mini event flown at the 2017 Nats. At the 2017 contest I scored zero. I did better at the 2019 Nats scoring 686 out of a possible 10,000.

Designs flown (that I remember if I missed anything please feel free to chime in) were Yellow Jacket, X-RES, Slite 2.0, Opal, Gentle Lady (2 pilots had GLs as their backup models), Allegro Lite, and original design. All the models seemed to perform fairly equally (with the exception of the Gentle Ladies which although they did well were definitely a bit lower performing than the other models although I wouldn't say excessively so).

Most models were launching to about the same height although some folks definitely had their setups tuned a little better and seemed to consistently launch a little higher. I didn't have any kind of altimeter in my model to record how high my launches were. The high starts were pretty equally matched. One of them I observed may have been slightly weaker. But in general the high starts were all almost identical and all performed really well.

I took a few videos of launching and one of a landing:

F3RES day 2 launching 2919 Nats (0 min 16 sec)

AMA Nationals 2019 F3RES launching (0 min 17 sec)

Perry landing his F3RES model at 2019 Nats (0 min 12 sec)

F3RES launching at 2019 AMA Nats (0 min 10 sec)

F3RES launching at 2019 Nats (0 min 18 sec)

Attached is the final score sheet.

Ryan
Aug 12, 2019, 09:56 PM
Man oh man, sure wish I could have been there!

Next year!

Yours, Greg
Aug 13, 2019, 06:39 AM
Thank you Ryan for the pictures and video. The launches depict the various clouds and sky we flew in. The 2nd day was more challenging for sure. Cool and not much sun.

Tommy
Aug 13, 2019, 09:10 AM
Nice topic. We started the dutch competition in 2018. We are still building and promoting this very nice class competition and sailplanes. After the first year we have started the F3RES.nl website and in 2019 we are using Gliderscore in our competition were the scores are filled with our mobile phones by QR codes. Very simple and very helpfull in the competition.
Last edited by WillemV; Aug 14, 2019 at 12:28 PM. Reason: added foto from my RESi modell designed by Claus Thiele
Aug 13, 2019, 09:30 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for sharing, Willem! That is exactly what I hoped folks would use this thread for. To promote what folks are doing and encourage others to give this a try as well. Feel free to post pics from your upcoming August 24 contest. I am sure we would all enjoy seeing some pics from F3RES in beuatiful Holland.

Ryan
Aug 13, 2019, 10:18 AM
, Great Ryan, in the chapter foto's, you will see a lot of pictures of the (ongoing) events.
After each event there will be an update.
I'll post some off them (the best) here also .
Aug 13, 2019, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by glidermang
Man oh man, sure wish I could have been there!

Next year!

Yours, Greg
We wish you had been there too. I was hoping to finally meet you.

From a newbs perspective, FWIW.

I flew ALES and Unlimited at Midsouth with a 2.9m Introduction. Got my time, at times, spot landings are easy in practice, tricky when the pressure is on. Of course I was grossly undergunned in the piloting dept, flying against world class pilots, and undergunned in aircraft, flying against the latest technology has to offer. But it was fun, great fun in fact.
So I really wanted to fly F3-RES but to make the drive to IN worthwhile I also entered RES and 2m with no expectation other than just fun. (Couldn't come earlier in the week and fly ALES too) I flew my F3-RES planes in both events, again obviously undergunned in aircraft and piloting skills. But I didn't come in dead last though almost.

But F3-RES? Man what great fun! Everyone is flying basically equally classed aircraft, heck about two designs dominated the selections, the Yellow Jacket followed by X-RES. It all comes down to piloting skills and reading air. Again, I was grossly undergunned against some who were flying but it is actually a competition where a relative newb, if he is a decent pilot and with a little luck, can actually have a chance. At least two guys were flying electric planes with the props removed. Some planes had obviously been through the wringer so to speak, showing extensive repaired damage yet no one, as far as I could tell, was horribly handicapped by their aircraft. And certainly not from a technology standpoint. This about as equal as a contest could be, equipment-wise.
The team format is great though it is a MoM contest, sort of like golf, you're playing against the course and rooting for your "opponent"...at least your team members.
It all comes down to piloting skills pretty much, which would include condition of your aircraft build and trim.

Yeah, I know too wordy. But I would love to see this format grow around the country. It seems it was kind of tagged on the end of the Nats as an afterthought, and maybe it was, but the guys that stayed seemed to really enjoy it. Most everyone had long drives ahead, had already flown multiple events all week, yet stayed to fly the last round, helped collect gear and highstarts, and then packed their gear. I like to see it take a more prominent position in the Nats going forward, but I don't know what would or could be done different.
Anyway... soooo wish there was a club around this area that did this. I know the guys out in Albuquerque have a pretty active group, and there's apparently a good bunch in CO too.

And... a few extra seconds in the air isn't worth losing your landing points. GET IT ON THE TAPE! Otherwise, I have not a clue how the final score is achieved.
Aug 13, 2019, 11:26 AM
Sonoran Laser Art

F3RES Alive in Mesa, AZ

Howdy boys, were rockin F3RES in AZ too-Finally

We are using this for our summer soaring series. We had a few fun Hiss n Boink contests first to get people up to speed. We have had two F3RES contest since and have two more of the series to go. In the last contest we had our sound system up and running and GliderScore. Were planning a bigger contest at a sod farm in October with spec bungees.

Our field is too small for full length bungees so were using 10M Rubber and 50M Line. We usually have 3 bungees set up and 3 man teams. The first contest we had enough pilots for 4 bungees. My guess is were going to need more bungees!!!!
Aug 13, 2019, 11:41 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashbound
But I would love to see this format grow around the country. It seems it was kind of tagged on the end of the Nats as an afterthought, and maybe it was, but the guys that stayed seemed to really enjoy it. Most everyone had long drives ahead, had already flown multiple events all week, yet stayed to fly the last round, helped collect gear and highstarts, and then packed their gear. I like to see it take a more prominent position in the Nats going forward, but I don't know what would or could be done different.
Anyway... soooo wish there was a club around this area that did this. I know the guys out in Albuquerque have a pretty active group, and there's apparently a good bunch in CO too.
I would like to see F3RES (or various derivatives) become an avenue for new folks and folks that for whatever reason have left the organized soaring community to thrive. I think the Nats is great but I would really like to see success stories where one guy got excited about it and got a plane or two and then got a high start and then convinced a buddy to give it a try and then they became a contest of two. Then another person joined in, etc. kind of deal. Maybe you could be that kind of success story.

I'm hoping this thread can be a way to encourage that sort of thing (while also showcasing the larger groups that are doing F3RES too). I hope other folks join in this thread as well.

Ryan
Aug 13, 2019, 01:11 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for joining this thread, Corky. I hope to continue to read about the Arizona F3RES happenings (especially since some of my friends will be partaking in those happenings). Also feel free to publicize your kits here or if you come out with new variations or ways of doing stuff or what not I'm sure we would all really like reading about it.

Ryan
Aug 13, 2019, 01:20 PM
Thread OP
Also, forgot to mention, thanks for that tidbit about the shorter high starts. One thing I have struggled with a little is I don't really have a good local location the really fits the 115 meter high starts. I had thought about maybe just cutting the mono portion down to say 50 meters for local F3RES type happenings.

Ryan
Aug 13, 2019, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke
Also, forgot to mention, thanks for that tidbit about the shorter high starts. One thing I have struggled with a little is I don't really have a good local location the really fits the 115 meter high starts. I had thought about maybe just cutting the mono portion down to say 50 meters for local F3RES type happenings.

Ryan
Most of the time I fly with my legal (15m) rubber and 45m of line (OAL same as Corky lists above). I just bought the legal rubber and didn't want to cut it down. It will stretch to a little over 300' @ 8.8 lbs. So basically a football field. Rarely do I pull out the 100m line though I did just to practice launching before the nats. And then only at the sod farm. Don't have the room at the hay field.
Aug 13, 2019, 01:46 PM
Thread OP
When running the lines at the Nats I noticed that some of the mono had blood knots in them. That is pretty common to see in TD winch line as line breaks are fairly common on TD winches. I was a bit surprised to see that on the mono lines for the high starts. I wonder if the Texas crew is also typically running less mono and just spliced to 100 meters for when they have a full field available.

Ryan
Aug 13, 2019, 03:06 PM
Sonoran Laser Art
Shorter bungees don’t restrict the fun factor at all and still perfectly legal. The Germans shorten there’s too for smaller fields. So the key point is if your field isn’t quite big enough for a full length just adapt. Setting up and taking down is a lot easier and shorter walks to get the line. You will also find yourself paying closer attention to the air.

Quick Reply