Wingspan: 61" (1555mm)
Length: 40.9" (1040mm)
Flying Weight: 57 - 60oz (1.61 - 1.7kg)
Motor: 10 size, 800Kv brushless outrunner
Prop Size: 11x7.5 3-blade
Battery: 2200mAh 3 - 4S LiPo w/EC3 connector
Price: BNF Basic - $269.99 / PNP - $239.99
Available at: Horizon Hobby

The E-flite Timber is an iconic airplane that has been flying at RC fields all over the country. The Turbo Timber is an exciting update on the original Timber design In this review, we will see what is in the box, do the build and take it out to the RC field and see what we think!

The Turbo Timber turns up the coals with the addition of metal-geared servos, a new 3s and 4s power system, a stiffer wing and of course a cool turboprop style nose and 3-blade propeller. I was happily surprised by the included optional-use float set and leading-edge slats. The standard (but cool) stuff is still there, like the functional slotted flaps and the LED light system.

This is the next phase of the Timber experience. Think of it as a souped-up Timber!

E-flite Turbo Timber 1.5m BNF - Open Box and Flight Review (17 min 43 sec)

Features

• Short Take-Off and Landing (STOL) plus sport and aerobatic flight capabilities [*This Timber is 3S and 4S compatible with a50A ESC, outrunner motor with 3-blade prop
  • Stiffer wing for improved aileron authority
  • Functional slotted flaps for shorter takeoffs and landings
  • Six factory-installed metal-geared servos
  • Spektrum 6-channel receiver with industry-leading DSMX technology
  • AS3X technology for smoother flight performance
  • Optional-use SAFE Select
  • Shock-absorbing landing gear with oversized tundra-style wheels
  • Includes optional-use floats with steerable rudders for flying from water
  • Factory-installed LED landing, navigation and strobe lights
  • Composite-reinforced, hollow-core EPO construction
  • Optional-use leading-edge slats for improved STOL and slow flight performance
  • Fast and easy bolt-together assembly- no glue required

Needed to Complete

• Full-range, 6+ Channel DSMX®/DSM2® transmitter
  • 2200- 3200mAh 3S or 4S 11.1- 14.8V LiPo with EC3™ or IC3™ Connector
  • Compatible LiPo charger

What's in the Box?

• (1) E-flite Turbo Timber 1.5m
  • (1) 50A Brushless ESC (installed)
  • (1) Brushless Outrunner Motor (installed)
  • (1) Spektrum™ AR636 6-Channel Receiver (installed)
  • (6) Micro Metal-Geared Servos (installed)
  • (1) Set of Optional-Use Leading Edge Slats
  • (1) Set of Optional-Use Floats
  • (1) Product Manual
Check out what is in the box in this video.

4s Power

he Turbo Timber flies well on a 3-cell LiPo, but the word “ballistic” comes to mind when paired with a 4-cell. The new 4-cell capable power system in this airplane provides serious power!

STOL (Short Take-Off and Landing)

The Turbo Timber has utilized multiple design features for slow and STOL flight. These include large flaps, drooped wingtips, and the included (but optional) leading-edge slats provide great slow flight and STOL performance. In our video, we prove the point by taking off of a picnic table!

Watch the STOL takeoff... a picnic table!

Stiffer Wing

The Turbo Timber's stiffer wing really makes the plane have more authority in maneuvers. From that upgrade, we also get the upgraded metal gear servos.

Build Photos

Once again Horizon has designed a plane that goes together intuitively and quickly! the only part that gave me a little trouble was the landing gear spring attachment.

Flight Photos

Flying Thoughts

Click here to see our flight video of the Turbo Timber.

I like to think of my piloting skills as average and Jason's as way above average. I performed the maiden and trimmed the Turbo Timber out (very little was needed). The nice thing about this configuration of the Turbo Timber is that it is happy with a 3 cell or a 4 cell lipo. I think that the tri-blade prop is the secret to running either one successfully. Right out of the box it is a great flying plane that I think would give any pilot confidence. Scale like flight is what this bird is all about. The stiffer wing and extra power also means this plane flies well in the wind. You can see how windy it was in our video and the Turbo Timber handled it without any stress on the pilot. I'm sure the AS3X plays a big part in that as well. This is the souped-up Timber many of you have been waiting for!

You can do nice flat turns, stall turns and really get used to being proficient with the rudder. The STOL capabilities are pretty amazing and literally had everything at the field laughing in glee at how fast this thing left the ground. Flaps are always fun and this thing is super fun! Watch our video as we take-off of a picnic table!

It can fly super slow but also has a really wide speed range. Kudos to Matt Andren for not only designing the first Timber but this iteration of the Timber. I was telling Jason that this will the "Cub" at all airfields for years to come. In our video, Jason pushes the limits with the stock settings on the Turbo Timber. Be sure to take a look.

Final Thoughts

If you are a Timber devotee or trying to figure out which Timber to buy you owe to yourself to check out the Turbo Timber. Matt Andren is the original designer of the Timber and this version has all the upgrades you might want. It's a fast, easy build and has great manners no matter what lipo you decide to use. The stiffer wing gives you more authority in the air and the turbo nose is super cool It's another winner from Horizon!

Learn More at Horizon Hobby

https://www.horizonhobby.com/turbo-t...elect-efl15250

RCGroups.com Review Policies

Our intent is to provide fair and unbiased reviews so that consumers can make informed decisions regarding new products. Some things you should know about our review process:

• RCGroups.com review items are provided by hobby manufacturers and suppliers, some of whom may be RCGroups advertisers.
  • Review products are sent directly to independent reviewers, chosen by RCGroups.com.
  • RCGroups.com reviewers are not compensated by either RCGroups.com or the reviewed item's supplier. However, they are allowed to keep the review items at no charge.
  • Published reviews reflect the opinion of the author.
  • When a conflict arises between a review sponsor and a reviewer (which is rare), RCGroups attempts to work out a satisfactory solution for all parties. In some cases, this may mean that a finished review will go unpublished, or be subjected to editing for technical accuracy. RCGroups reserves the final say as to whether an article is fit for publication.

It is always our intent to provide a place for honest and open commentary and to put the needs of our visitors first. If you feel that something we've published is inaccurate, please let us know using the contact form.

Last edited by RCG_Jason; Dec 13, 2022 at 09:44 AM..
Oct 15, 2019, 03:11 AM
Bought my son one of these. He’s been flying the original for a couple years and loves it. The Turbo is better in every way. Obviously the power system is much better, but the biggest Improvement is the roll response. The original was mushy and really didn’t like to roll, this one does it happily. We’ve also had it on floats and it was great there as well.

Only complaints are the dumb battery door being underneath and the ESC being too small for 4S. Why they can’t put a meter on their planes they market as 4S capable and put an appropriate ESC is strange, just like my Maule this one pulls in the range of 55-60a on a 50a ESC with 4S. Haven’t had it shut down yet (unlike the Maule), but we also got it after the hottest part of summer. I’m anticipating having to swap it out when summer comes back around. The battery door is just inconvenient. Having it on top is much better. Maybe the Uktra Timber will fix those 2.
Oct 15, 2019, 04:15 AM
I fly it with 4000 mAh 4s batteries all the time : no problem whatsoever !
Oct 15, 2019, 05:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltomortale View Post
I fly it with 4000 mAh 4s batteries all the time : no problem whatsoever !
That must be really nose heavy with that big of a battery, even my 4S 2750 makes it feel nose heavy and that’s with the metal tail spar. Did you have to cut out foam to make such a large pack fit?

I haven’t had a problem with mine either. However, put a meter on it and it is pulling just under 60a on that 50a ESC with a 4S pack. That is not good. It should have at least a 60a ESC in it.
Last edited by Eury; Oct 15, 2019 at 05:42 AM.
Oct 15, 2019, 07:52 AM
As I said, I fly with big 4s batteries, no cut necessary and to me it feels right with the CG. I flew all summer like this and never had to worry about the ESC.
Oct 15, 2019, 08:25 AM
I was following this thread and just wanted to share something .The flying current is in the low to mid 30's depending on specific battery used when flying 4s, with peaks a little higher. This power system was tested extensively . Data was collected with logging devices, and there were many back to back flights during high ambient temps in the 90's, stopping only long enough to checking temps and change batteries, and flying the entire flight aggressively at full throttle. Any readings taken on the ground statically are simply that, static readings. the ESC is not an issue with 4s and the recommended props (either the stock 3 blade or a 2-blade 12X6 for those that may prefer a 2-blade). .
Latest blog entry: blog
Oct 15, 2019, 09:16 AM
Ok. My readings come from onboard telemetry and the peaks in flight are above the rating of the ESC. Full throttle on 4S is higher than the rating of the ESC. I experienced similar readings with the Maule and on hot days it would shut down and dead stick. Glad to hear that this one was extensively tested and it won’t shut down.
Oct 15, 2019, 09:24 AM
Yes, it was flown a LOT, and tested with motor/prop combinations drawing significantly more than what comes on the turbo timber without overheating or shutdown.
Latest blog entry: blog
Oct 17, 2019, 05:51 AM
Another great product by all accounts. I would love to purchase this for myself and my daughter. Sadly, forum rules prevent me from commenting on the reasons why I will not purchase this plane.
Last edited by JPJI; Oct 17, 2019 at 08:57 AM.
Oct 29, 2019, 07:52 PM
I really want to like this plane, but I primarily only fly FPV. It would be pretty cool to have a real cabin with at least plexiglass so you could pop in a FPV cam an feel like you are really flying. i Hope that will be a consideration with future models.
Oct 30, 2019, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyspu View Post
I really want to like this plane, but I primarily only fly FPV. It would be pretty cool to have a real cabin with at least plexiglass so you could pop in a FPV cam an feel like you are really flying. i Hope that will be a consideration with future models.
Sounds like you want the Maule. It has a full cockpit with clear windows.
Nov 07, 2019, 05:11 PM
Good write up. Turbo Timber on 4S with a 60A ESC, stock motor and a 13x6.5 E prop is an absolute beast. It does things a high wing plane shouldn't. I'm still holding out on the Draco though since Horizon is watching this thread
Nov 10, 2019, 01:40 PM
I’m sorry, but I wish they’d just upgraded the original. This thing looks like someone took Walter Matthau’s nose and put it on Raquel Welch!! I’ve never been a fan of turbine conversions and this confirms it. My Timber is my favorite plane. I like to call it my “one” plane, meaning that if I could have only one plane, it would be the Timber. I’m sure it’s a fabulous flying plane, but that ugly nose.... why?!?!
Last edited by roversgonemad; Nov 10, 2019 at 01:51 PM.
Nov 11, 2019, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roversgonemad View Post
I’m sorry, but I wish they’d just upgraded the original. This thing looks like someone took Walter Matthau’s nose and put it on Raquel Welch!! I’ve never been a fan of turbine conversions and this confirms it. My Timber is my favorite plane. I like to call it my “one” plane, meaning that if I could have only one plane, it would be the Timber. I’m sure it’s a fabulous flying plane, but that ugly nose.... why?!?!
Hey now ugly can be pretty! I prefer the aesthetics of the Turbo but you know to each their own
Apr 18, 2020, 10:04 AM
Hi folks. Just got one of these beauties and found it to be very nose heavy. I’ve had to place my 3s 2200 battery all the way back to get it to balance. ???

Anyone else having that issue? Is the CG of 60mm +/- 5 from leading edge of wing ( not the foils)???

Thanks all for your help.
Rick

Quick Reply