Horizon Hobby Hobbyzone AeroScout S 1.1m RTF - Review

In this review, we see what's in the box, put the AeroScout together and even get a pilot on the sticks that hasn't flown in 16 years!!

Splash

The RCGroups.com AeroScout S 1.1m RTF Review

When I opened the box to the AeroScout it was immediately clear that someone new to the hobby would have all the things needed to be successful. If this is your first RC plane you will be happy to know all the bases are covered! I will go over what is in the box and talk about each piece.

The AeroScout itself was designed by the Horizon Hobby team to give you a high-wing, pusher prop based platform that is easy to fly, rugged, easy to handle in the air and on the ground. Couple that with the onboard AS3X and SAFE Select and you have a plane that can almost land itself (as we demonstrate in our video).

In this review, I will go over the build, do an initial flight and then we will push the envelope...because we can. I'm also excited to report that my father-in-law showed up to the field. While he helped me get into the hobby he hasn't flown an RC craft in around 16 years! He was reluctant but we got him on the sticks on the AeroScout. Read on to find out how that turned out!!

What's in the Box?

• 1 HobbyZone AeroScout S 1.1m with:
  • 1 30A Brushless ESC (installed)
  • 1 Brushless Outrunner Motor (installed)
  • 4 Sub-Micro Servos (installed)
  • 1 Spektrumô AR636 6-Channel Receiver (installed)
  • 1 Spektrum DXe Controller/Transmitter
  • 1 Spektrum 2200mAh 3S 11.1V Smart LiPo Battery
  • 1 Spektrum S120 USB-C Smart Charger
  • 4 AA Alkaline Batteries (for the DXe controller/transmitter)
  • 1 Product Manual

Spektrum Smart Battery and Charger

A Design Made for a New Pilots

Built Tough

Assembly

Reliable Landing Gear

Click here to see the video of some extreme landing gear testing...

Flying

RCGroups.com AeroScout S 1.1m RTF Flight Review (13 min 40 sec)

The AeroScout is a super stable flying platform for a new RC pilot. Taking off needed just a little roll-out and all I needed to do was trim the elevator slightly. I was very surprised at the ample power the 3 cell lipo provided. You can fly nice and slow and when your skills increase there is power to spare. One thing that really surprised me was has well this plane flew with the power off. I could chope the throttle on approach and keep flying right over the runway. We also show in the video how the AeroScout flies with someone with skills on the sticks. It's a very impressive little plane!

The AeroScout as a Trainer

My father-in-law just happened to stop by the airfield for the maiden of the AeroScout. I had taken the included DXe transmitter and bound it as a trainer to my DX6. Charlie (my father-in-law) has not flown an RC plane in over 16 years but I talked him into flying the AeroScout. Once we got everything set up he was flying so well I thought Jason must have been piloting the craft. He was even able to land this AeroScout on his own. It was a confidence-inspiring flight for him and really shined a light on how good of a first plane the AeroScout really is. Couple all of this with Panic Recovery button and you have a bird that is made for the new pilot. Be sure to watch the video to see Charlie flying the AeroScout.

Click here to see Charlie take the controls for the first time in over 16 years.

Final Thoughts

The trick to creating an RC plane for a new pilot is...everything. It needs to build easily, have an easy setup, fly well and inspire confidence. The AeroScout has everything in the box that a beginner will need. I really like the fact that the transmitter is not only included but is pre-bound, and set up right out of the box. The included lipo and charger are simple and get you into the air quickly. The pusher prop helps reduce the risk and also reduces the chance of breaking the prop if you make a bad landing. The landing gear's ability to keep the plane upright is super valuable to a new pilot. The AS3X and SAFE mode are what makes Horizon stand out from other trainers out there. With the flip of a switch, you can instantly get yourself out of trouble. We were even able to do a landing without touching the controls (click here to see that). If I were starting out in the hobby or working with someone that was, I would suggest the AeroScout as a first plane.

As a pilot that has flown a slew of planes and for many years I can also say I appreciate how the AeroScout flies. Its ability to glide with the power off is fun and you can actually get some nice rolls, loops and more out of this plane (as shown in the video). I think this will make a great FPV platform and that is something I'm going to try next.

This isn't just a plane for the newbie but a great plane in general. I'm a fan!

Check out the Hobbyzone AeroScout S 1.1m RT webpage here

RCGroups.com Review Policies

Our intent is to provide fair and unbiased reviews so that consumers can make informed decisions regarding new products. Some things you should know about our review process:

• RCGroups.com review items are provided by hobby manufacturers and suppliers, some of whom may be RCGroups advertisers.
  • Review products are sent directly to independent reviewers, chosen by RCGroups.com.
  • RCGroups.com reviewers are not compensated by either RCGroups.com or the reviewed item's supplier. However, they are allowed to keep the review items at no charge.
  • Published reviews reflect the opinion of the author.
  • When a conflict arises between a review sponsor and a reviewer (which is rare), RCGroups attempts to work out a satisfactory solution for all parties. In some cases, this may mean that a finished review will go unpublished, or be subjected to editing for technical accuracy. RCGroups reserves the final say as to whether an article is fit for publication.

It is always our intent to provide a place for honest and open commentary, and to put the needs of our visitors first. If you feel that something we've published is inaccurate, please let us know using the contact form.

Oct 01, 2019, 10:17 PM

darn good airplan

I got to fly this thing at the 2019 NEAT fair, and I honestly thought at first meh..... how much fun can this be? and boy howdy was I suprised, the Scout is not only fun to fly , its fantastic. I was stunned at how well it handled serious wind howling down the peaceful Valley in safe mode, and was also able to land it hands off in newbie mode. honestly I was looking for a replacement for my now long gone multiplex mini-magister, and this is definitly the plane for that groove. Well Done Horizon.
Oct 02, 2019, 09:50 PM
AMA 667982 KG7NKY
Nice review, Jim. What I truly like about this model is it comes out of the package set up and ready to fly. I always check servo centering on a new model and all three Aeroscouts I've purchased have been spot on meaning the control surfaces are dead center on the trims. But as you know every model flies differently. My first one needed several clicks of up-elevator while the second needed just a few clicks of down elevator. The first two were spot on the C/G while the third is about 1/4" to the rear of the C/G marks. Go figure. Why three you may ask. The first one impaled itself into a cactus. The second has been fitted with a Matek F405-Wing Flight Controller and INav configured on the FC. Awesome FPV very stable and a ton of information on the OSD. The third is equipped with a FrSky S6R and is my goto plane in windy conditions while others are sitting on the ground or packing up for the day. This plane is totally a winner in any pilot's stable.
Oct 03, 2019, 10:31 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Would be the best possible entry plane if it weren't $200. Not saying it's not worth that. I'm saying everyone who approaches me about starting out has $100 to spend and could probably be pushed to $150-ish. But so many will balk at $200.

Until they're hooked.
Oct 03, 2019, 12:41 PM
great review and video. I think I will start saving my money. it looks like a good entry plane with a nice size and presence in the air.
Oct 03, 2019, 02:59 PM
Fly Low - Hit Hard
$200 is a screaming deal for this RTF machine !

RF
Oct 03, 2019, 11:39 PM
Excellent little plane!
Great in winds.
Easily one of my favorites.
Oct 04, 2019, 09:04 AM
I purchased one of these. It got stuck in a tree and after staring at it for 2 months I cut the tree down. The tree fell into the pond and the plane went underwater. I swam out and got it, and let it dry out. Flew great.

Later I crashed it straight down on a windy day with safe off. Snapped plane in half, front-wheel into battery compartment, motor snapped off. Spent the evening with some white gorilla glue, and a few pieces of wire to dowl it all together, and it's back in the air. Had to modify the front battery cover as the plane is abour 1/4" longer now.

Still flys great, flew in 20 mph winds this week. Flys intverted, does outside loops, it does anything i ask it.
Oct 04, 2019, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikbrewer
I purchased one of these. It got stuck in a tree and after staring at it for 2 months I cut the tree down. The tree fell into the pond and the plane went underwater. I swam out and got it, and let it dry out. Flew great.

Later I crashed it straight down on a windy day with safe off. Snapped plane in half, front-wheel into battery compartment, motor snapped off. Spent the evening with some white gorilla glue, and a few pieces of wire to dowl it all together, and it's back in the air. Had to modify the front battery cover as the plane is abour 1/4" longer now.

Still flys great, flew in 20 mph winds this week. Flys intverted, does outside loops, it does anything i ask it.
wow, sounds like one tough plane. thats making it look even more appealing to me.
Oct 07, 2019, 12:20 AM
“The AeroScout itself was designed by the Horizon Hobby team”

Wasn’t it just a rebranded Esky Eagle with a DSMX receiver in it?
Last edited by propsnapper; Oct 07, 2019 at 12:21 AM. Reason: fixed quote
Oct 07, 2019, 01:26 AM
AeroDan
Is this available BNF?
Oct 07, 2019, 02:17 AM
Fly Low - Hit Hard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell47G2
Is this available BNF?
Yup:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/Product...&storeId=10151
Oct 08, 2019, 12:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by propsnapper
ďThe AeroScout itself was designed by the Horizon Hobby teamĒ

Wasnít it just a rebranded Esky Eagle with a DSMX receiver in it?

That's correct.
The Aeroscout is originally a Esky Eagles.
The BnF Scout is the better value though imo.
Oct 08, 2019, 04:38 PM
AMA 667982 KG7NKY
Actually, it seems the design service was ZondaHobby in China. It looks as though it has been branded as both the ESky Eagles and the Hobby Zone Aeroscout with the only difference being the prop size and the configuration (PNP) or (BNF). Other than that they are the same plane both names fly equally well.
Oct 09, 2019, 01:24 PM
I donít know if itís placebo or actual, but Iíve put the 3 blade eagle prop on my Aeroscout and I feel itís a little faster with a better climb rate.
The trade off thatís definitely not placebo, a much noisier prop.

Quick Reply