Aug 20, 2019, 01:13 PM
Back to Boats
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut
I flew out to Mesa to see it...Such a loss and to loose the pilot..really sad
I tell people all the time that flying is very safe..Just 100% unforgiving of mistakes
True. Sadly for the pilots IIRC I don't think there was anything they could have done.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 20, 2019, 02:54 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Reminds me of what Col Graben once said:
"A J-3 Cub can just barely kill you."

I think there were only two on board, pilot and co-pilot.

J
Aug 20, 2019, 03:21 PM
Pro Hoarder
Yea 2.. both were lost
Latest blog entry: In flight
Aug 20, 2019, 03:32 PM
Back to Boats
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan
Watching this is giving me an itch I can't scratch. Thinking about a He-111 myself, I have plans for a 74" one.

J
My guess is that you're probably gonna be done with German medium bombers by the time the 88 gets done.

Just my guess.

But I'll try to keep my 2.111 alive long enough to fly with your 88 in Utah 2020!
Aug 20, 2019, 03:42 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenseaships
My guess is that you're probably gonna be done with German medium bombers by the time the 88 gets done.

Just my guess.

But I'll try to keep my 2.111 alive long enough to fly with your 88 in Utah 2020!
Sounds like a plan.

J
Aug 20, 2019, 07:01 PM
Back to Boats
Thread OP
And I already have an idea for my next project.

And my biggest yet! I'm thinking 168 inches wingspan! Should be the easiest 14-foot scale plane to build.
Aug 20, 2019, 09:05 PM
Pro Hoarder
Cool..Glider or 6 engines?
Aug 20, 2019, 09:23 PM
Back to Boats
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut
Cool..Glider or 6 engines?
I vastly prefer the appearance of the glider. IMHO while the Gigant was never a particular BEAUTY, I feel like the 6 engines spoiled things even further.

On the other hand what a chore to find a tow plane for a 14-foot GLIDER! 3 Dynam ME. 110s will require 3 separate pilots!

In one of the most epic bastardizations of r/c aircraft I am considering a couple of pusher motors in the trailing edges of the wings, hidden from view by the cluster of rocket motors. Just enough power to get up to altitude and glide home.

Of course there was briefly a 4-engined Gigant but the plane I really fell in love with was the glider version. Will be an interesting consideration. For now, just build the airframe I say.
Aug 21, 2019, 05:30 AM
EB-66C Team Member
It will be one heck of a build Barrett.

J
Aug 21, 2019, 04:34 PM
Parkcityflier
Barrett, I like your ideas on building. Build it for the joy of flying it and spend enough time to make it really look good as the airplane that it represents without spending many months doing it.

Jim
Aug 21, 2019, 05:20 PM
Back to Boats
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkcityskier
Barrett, I like your ideas on building. Build it for the joy of flying it and spend enough time to make it really look good as the airplane that it represents without spending many months doing it.

Jim
Well they're never the kind of planes you'd be 'too afraid to fly' are they?

Thanks!
Aug 28, 2019, 02:38 PM
Back to Boats
Thread OP
Much has been made among warbird buffs over the years (and rightfully so) about the role that the CASA 2.111s played in the film The Battle Of Britain.

But I can't find hardly a peep in Youtube or Google about the (admittedly smaller) role that they played in Patton! Huh.
Sep 04, 2019, 12:01 AM
Proto morlock
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenseaships
On the other hand what a chore to find a tow plane for a 14-foot GLIDER! 3 Dynam ME. 110s will require 3 separate pilots!
Sure you're not hiding something from us? There was a dedicated tow plane built for the me321, and you're already halfway there...
Sep 04, 2019, 10:42 AM
Pro Hoarder
How cool would that be!
Sep 05, 2019, 02:31 AM
Back to Boats
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_the_Sane
Sure you're not hiding something from us? There was a dedicated tow plane built for the me321, and you're already halfway there...
"Halfway" LMAO! Gotta admit that's clever.

I won't fan the flames too much but I will say that the 2 wing halves of my 2.111 come apart for storage. Conceivably a center section could be inserted with 3 additional motors.

And as Turbo indicates, that would probably win the internet for a year or two.

But I'm ready for a break from building the 111. I've already turned my attention to building a new fuselage to use my old 8-foot B-17 wing. Gonna love seeing THIS thing all painted and in the air!

Quick Reply