Aug 12, 2019, 10:49 AM
Back to Boats
Thread OP
Discussion

84-inch CASA 2.111 (Heinkel 111) Expanded bead foam

I'm finally back to building something. I've long had a love affair with the Heinkel 111 and in particular the CASA 2.111 which many of you will recall is the Spanish license-built copy of the Heinkel with Rolls Royce Merlin engines.

It starts with a box of expanded bead foam. 1" thick. What I do is basically hacking away at foam until it looks about right. Carve the box roughly with a foam hand saw until the box is octagonal in cross section. When that's done, break out the belt sander. Sand the 'corners' until the octagon has become the ovular cross section so characteristic of the 111.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 12, 2019, 07:22 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Cool Barrett! So you just leave the alum sheathing on and then carve and sand it away?
Looks like very lightweight construction.

J
Aug 12, 2019, 07:50 PM
Back to Boats
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan
Cool Barrett! So you just leave the alum sheathing on and then carve and sand it away?
Looks like very lightweight construction.

J
I leave the aluminum sheeting on only when I need to tape things in place. Then peel before carving/sanding.

So are you able to bring your Devastator to St. George for the TBD flight or.... ?
Aug 12, 2019, 08:48 PM
I'm signed on to watch and learn.

How big are we talking here by the way?
Aug 12, 2019, 09:21 PM
EB-66C Team Member
NOI153Y,
Barrett can confirm but the thread title says 84".

Barrett,
No TBD this year. No trailer this year either, tired of dragging them 3700 miles round trip. I'll have the Me-263, A-1H Skyraider, A2D Skyshark, and an oldie but goldie, blast from the past if I get her ready. Sort of a surprise, mystery plane.

J
Aug 12, 2019, 09:42 PM
Back to Boats
Thread OP
Quote:
an oldie but goldie, blast from the past if I get her ready. Sort of a surprise, mystery plane.

J
If it's the semi-profile Buffalo we could still work something out!
Aug 12, 2019, 10:09 PM
Back to Boats
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOI53Y
I'm signed on to watch and learn.

How big are we talking here by the way?
Yes. 84 inches. And the fuselage length of 60 inches.

Her AUW is coming in at 8.5 pounds. Well within the capacity of these 2 Power 25s.
Aug 12, 2019, 11:12 PM
Quote:
NOI153Y,
Barrett can confirm but the thread title says 84".
J
Hahaha I didn't even see that. Thanks for pointing it out.
Aug 12, 2019, 11:20 PM
Back to Boats
Thread OP
The wing is dead simple- one step above flat plate wing :P

No formers. Instead the warped upper wing half wraps across the spars which consist of one half-inch carbon fiber tube across the length and 2 plywood joining spars. For an 8.5 pound plane I find this will suffice quite well.
Aug 12, 2019, 11:25 PM
Back to Boats
Thread OP
Not sure how well these pictures show the effect but here is the fuselage after belt sanding. Picture a man standing next to a table, holding a foam fuselage with his left hand rolling it over side to side while holding the belt sander with his right hand. Eventually it comes out looking like this. Sore arm not pictured.
Aug 12, 2019, 11:36 PM
Onward and Upward.
Neat methods, Barrett.

Randy
Aug 13, 2019, 06:26 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenseaships
If it's the semi-profile Buffalo we could still work something out!
I'll see Barrett. Not sure how much room I'll have unless Hans rides on top.

J
Aug 13, 2019, 12:13 PM
Back to Boats
Thread OP
Quote:
I'll see Barrett. Not sure how much room I'll have unless Hans rides on top.

J
Have Hans hold the buff in his lap!

As for the 2.111, landing gear shamelessly stolen from the Flightline F7F Tigercat. The struts are actually a bit too long for scale but I don't feel like switching them out just yet. Maybe sometime after the maiden. At least the tires themselves look nice, even if the oleos aren't right for a Heinkel/CASA.

Anyway it's meant to be seen with the gear retracted.

As for the gear retraction, I just simply have open bottom nacelles and the tires barely stick out kinda DC-3/B-17 style. If this were going to Scale Masters I'd be screwed. But most of you know me as a kinda sorta looks right type of builder.
Aug 13, 2019, 02:59 PM
EB-66C Team Member
TLAR is the best kind of building.
And no gear doors!

J
Aug 13, 2019, 04:07 PM
Back to Boats
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatManDu
Neat methods, Barrett.

Randy
Thanks Randy!

I did elect to coat the expanded bead fuselage in 2 part Styropray. For those who don't know it's an epoxy-like material that is 100% foam safe and takes spraypaint. I applied a thin coat to the fuselage not to hide the fact that it is expanded bead foam but to

a) allow for spraypainting the foam fuselage and
b) generally protect the fuselage from handling and hangar rash.

John- There's an equation I use when I'm building my planes. I don't know the exact equation but call it the "Barrett balance". Having 4 kids in elementary school, there's time pressure coming out of the gate but the balance comes down to 'how nice do you want it to look versus how much time are you willing to waste if it crashes?'

So most of my aircraft builds follow this rule.

Quick Reply