Aug 13, 2019, 01:17 PM
solastagia
Oleg is using these multi-rotor ESCs in his world championship Volos I believe:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=1133

Kevin
to remove ads between posts
Sep 04, 2019, 10:36 PM
Thread OP
Kcaldwel - Ive used those before I think those still use some of the old hardware, but still work pretty well.

I ordered a DYS usb linker for programming escs. Its basically a Pass-through much like a flight controller/ or castle link, so you can communicate with the esc. Basically just had to download a usb driver and was complete. Set the motor brake to 100% in BL HELI and everything was complete. Throttle is so smooth, and the DYS aria esc hardly gets warm on WOT pulls. Almost more surprised by the 1102/3.5y/s/p22 Neu motor. That little guy has so much power for a 42oz explorer.
Last edited by Babaralonius; Sep 04, 2019 at 10:53 PM.
Sep 05, 2019, 08:19 AM
It is common (here in the UK) to find opto ESC's in use. This is usually in the 2m class where the systems are run on 2s without a BEC. I bought a few 32A BLHELI ESC's that were discounted heavily. They work very well (with brake etc), are easy to program via the PC and are very light and slim.
Sep 05, 2019, 02:45 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave80H
It is common (here in the UK) to find opto ESC's in use. This is usually in the 2m class where the systems are run on 2s without a BEC. I bought a few 32A BLHELI ESC's that were discounted heavily. They work very well (with brake etc), are easy to program via the PC and are very light and slim.
In your experience do the drone/quad escs stay cooler while running?
Sep 06, 2019, 01:57 AM
Yes, you can see ESC performing flawless without any heatsink on FETs, wrapped in heat-shrink, and fitted inside arm tubes, without any airflow.
It should not be surprising why this is possible, with an conduction resistance of 2 mO average of modern FETs used in a MC ESC, the disipated power is 5mW for 2.5A, which is a typical current (per motor) of 1 kg multicopter when hovering.
Sep 06, 2019, 02:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaralonius
In your experience do the drone/quad escs stay cooler while running?
Just as Renatoa says, they stay cool, even though the usually have no heatsink. In my case, I am only running a 32A at 15A max.
I am planning to use one in my 8 servo 3m "Inside F5J" as it seems to be difficult to find a suitable size of ESC that has a BEC with the right output (unless spending extra money!).
Sep 06, 2019, 01:58 PM
Thread OP
It goes to show the new components make a big difference. Just like the new buck regulators that have such high efficiency while weighing so little.
Sep 10, 2019, 05:44 AM
It is amusing to read this thread. Almost 2 years ago I ordered 8 SunnySky R30's …...... They looked far too good to be true. So I asked here -
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...tabase/page337
After more digging, it was just a matter of downloading the Blheli_S software and buying an SP-Linker.
The size / weight difference was unbelievable.
It did not finish there, because I also had a pile of escs that would not start high Kv inrunners (with g/boxes) …... (most were ZTW origin) I found that you could load Blheli software into them. The difference was amazing – instant starts and smooth running. Far better than original.
A direct connection to 2S and no switches between, really MUST be the safest setup. It was about 4 months later (Feb / March 2018) that I showed Dave my work.
That DYS 70A is another leap forward in this technology. 2S is perfect for my 2m gliders, but for 1500g 4m ships, they will need about 50A on 2S. At the time there were no 60A escs – BUT – My existing ships had 5v servos and the messing + the expense of 6 MKS HV servos was a bridge too far.
So – After 2 problem free years, I can say “These are fantastic for gliders.”
Sep 10, 2019, 04:52 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by esloted
It is amusing to read this thread. Almost 2 years ago I ordered 8 SunnySky R30's …...... They looked far too good to be true. So I asked here -
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...tabase/page337
After more digging, it was just a matter of downloading the Blheli_S software and buying an SP-Linker.
The size / weight difference was unbelievable.
It did not finish there, because I also had a pile of escs that would not start high Kv inrunners (with g/boxes) …... (most were ZTW origin) I found that you could load Blheli software into them. The difference was amazing – instant starts and smooth running. Far better than original.
A direct connection to 2S and no switches between, really MUST be the safest setup. It was about 4 months later (Feb / March 2018) that I showed Dave my work.
That DYS 70A is another leap forward in this technology. 2S is perfect for my 2m gliders, but for 1500g 4m ships, they will need about 50A on 2S. At the time there were no 60A escs – BUT – My existing ships had 5v servos and the messing + the expense of 6 MKS HV servos was a bridge too far.
So – After 2 problem free years, I can say “These are fantastic for gliders.”
Esolated
Hopefully esc's in the drone/multirotor world will continue to advance. Which I imagine they will given the industries overwhelming increase over that last few years. I started using them on smaller faster speed planes about a year ago. I saw MikRx using them on his balsa minishark home builds and was just amazed. So I gave it a try. I am a big fan of open source software. Probably the best switch for me was going to Frsky Taranis. There is so much capability without any restriction IMO. I feel like these drone esc's refect that and can be an awesome option for the airplane guys.
Sep 11, 2019, 06:51 AM
Well Babaralonius, I totally agree with all you say, up to the radio. I have been Multiplex for the last 20 odd years. In all that time, I have only had 2 problems and both were because I had pulled on the aerial wire and snapped something inside. Again (like 5v servos) I am too invested in it to change. The Mpx 4000 and the Profi do all I want anyway. I also have 2 x 3030s, which are 20 years old and have never given the slightest problems. I have had to change the frequency, which was fun – I used internal ceramic aerials instead of the normal things that stick out. Probably the only problem I have with the older sets is the mechanical trim which remains (where you left it) when you change flight modes. Not a problem if the model is carefully trimmed.
I suffer from mechanical (and electrical) sympathy and so I cannot bring myself to overdrive things, but boy have I seen these newer motors and escs thrashed and still survive.
Sep 16, 2019, 04:30 PM
Gliders with folding props put heaps more load on the brake funtion of ESCs. I have blown out the brake fets on some old airplane ESCs years ago, and the rest of the unit still operated propely.
But more revently I tried a tiny drone esc which had a brake feature, but after a couple of start/stop cycles the unit failed at motor switch off, and the whole unit went up in smoke. Luckily the BEC survived so the model also survived but the whole unit was soot.
So be wary of small units not designed for folding prop stops.
Sep 16, 2019, 04:53 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil stevo
Gliders with folding props put heaps more load on the brake funtion of ESCs. I have blown out the brake fets on some old airplane ESCs years ago, and the rest of the unit still operated propely.
But more revently I tried a tiny drone esc which had a brake feature, but after a couple of start/stop cycles the unit failed at motor switch off, and the whole unit went up in smoke. Luckily the BEC survived so the model also survived but the whole unit was soot.
So be wary of small units not designed for folding prop stops.
You can just as easily burn up an airplane esc if you dont set the brake function to full strength. Especially if it is a direct drive system. With geared motors i wouldnt be nearly as concerned. As well I would imagine that a lot of folks use a rubber band or something like it to help the prop fold when the motor isnt running. I have been running the dys aria 70a esc with 100% brake strength in f5j explorer for a bit now. Has been working flawlessly. Props snap back into folded position when I shut the motor off. Esc doesnt get hot and runs so smoothly.
Sep 18, 2019, 05:20 AM
I think there is some confusion here. ALL my escs have been loaded with BLHeli and all work better than before. I have been told many times that the brakes don't work – they do.
The small one in my photo above is the sort we are talking about here, and now this DYS one. The weights are a small fraction of a “standard” esc. but they don't have a BEC. Which is why I use them on 2S and HV servos.
Above, I said I bought 8 (2 years ago) and 2 of them were for a Mk1 Multiplex TwinStar, which came with brushed motors. I converted it to brushless and 2 of these escs. As it runs on 3S I have used a Turnigy SBEC for the radio. (The DYS + Turnigy 5A sbec is lighter than a standard esc – and probably safer) What I have not done yet is program the radio to couple the motors to the rudder, for extreme aerobatics. Yes, these escs can have forward and reverse, with off in the centre.
20 years ago, when I started e-flying, it was brushed motors and (for me) car escs. As I had basic rudder / elevator gliders, I used the reverse function as a brake. Though not allowed in competition rules, I think it would be fun, on simple gliders, to have reverse thrust for braking again. My “Simply the Best” will be my first candidate.
Sep 27, 2019, 09:32 AM
The brake is nothing else than opening all the FETs, thus shortening all the three motor coils. The self induced current will do the brake job.
There is no reason to not work, if the appropriate setting is checked in blheli.
Sep 28, 2019, 04:00 AM
One of my fun drones, the HK Chaotic, has 30A Afro Opto ESCs controlling the motors. The motors are 2212 (2830ish) 1300kVr, running 9inch props. They are able to reverse the motor direction whilst in full power flight. They do this very quickly (this function is disabled in mine). I don't know how they do this without more ESC damage than is reported.

Quick Reply