Aug 12, 2019, 12:18 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Sailplane motor controller

Anyone using drone/multirotor esc's for sailplane?
I would imagine that most people would not use the built in BEC that usually comes with most esc to power servos. I have started using drone speed controllers for almost all of my airplanes. They are cheaper, faster, and more robust as far as I can tell. Not to mention they are far lighter than most airplane esc.

Heres an example of what I have been using some of my f5j sailplanes and high power pylon planes.

https://pyrodrone.com/collections/el...a-32bit-6s-esc

Thoughts?
to remove ads between posts
Aug 12, 2019, 01:59 AM
What is the difference between drone and airplane ESC?
Aug 12, 2019, 05:15 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomo
What is the difference between drone and airplane ESC?
I believe its the components, better chip, and better FETs, and better software. There have been huge improvements to electronics for drone industry due to demand. As well esc's have needed to improve to keep up with flight controllers. As much as I like Castle Creations esc's, along with a number of other names, the airplane esc's are just way behind when it comes to technology IMO.
Aug 12, 2019, 06:26 AM
The bec is fine for sailplanes.
Aug 12, 2019, 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al M
The bec is fine for sailplanes.
Yes, everybody uses bec - no reason for using separate rx batteries anymore.

All improvements in esc are wellcome. At least they could be a little cheaper. and smaller. Good quality esc for F5J plane costs currently 100e/usd+ and also the size is sometimes problem in F5J planes. I keep waiting
Aug 12, 2019, 12:20 PM
Thread OP
I don’t typically use the bec from the esc because if the esc fails then likely the bec will also fail.
The drone escs are definitely worth a try if your looking for an alternative
Aug 12, 2019, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaralonius
I believe its the components, better chip, and better FETs, and better software. There have been huge improvements to electronics for drone industry due to demand. As well esc's have needed to improve to keep up with flight controllers. As much as I like Castle Creations esc's, along with a number of other names, the airplane esc's are just way behind when it comes to technology IMO.
The controller programming for the multicopters is much different than what is needed for airplanes and helicopters. Is the hardware "better"? not really. Pretty much the same thing. The features needed to operate with flight controllers have no relevance to fixed wing needs---planes don't need 600hz throttle updates.

Steve
Aug 12, 2019, 01:17 PM
The hardware on a multirotor esc is not better. Smaller is probably a better description of the designs. That aspect is useful for 5J models. Also the design features like Steve said are to serve the high frequency signal from the flight controller which is unnecessary for a 5J model. That being said nothing wrong with using a DYS aria with either a separate bec or receiver battery. They are small and cheap. Personally I would add some capacitors to the system.
Aug 12, 2019, 01:41 PM
I'm not an electrical engineer so I can't speak to the differences between an ESC for a sailplane vs. a drone. For myself, I use Castle due to the ease of programming and past positive experience.

Regarding the BEC...
When compared to the weight of a separate Rx pack, I trust the BEC more than I'm willing to take on that weight and hassle. That balance is even more in favor of the BEC since the voltage level is programmable.

However, there is a great thread on a backup battery. See Post #73.

I set the BEC at 6.0 or 6.5 volts. Therefore, if/when the backup battery kicks in at 4.5V, then my Tx telemetry alerts me that I'm at "low voltage" which means Time to land!

-Keith
Aug 12, 2019, 02:04 PM
Thread OP
multi-rotor escs have a lot of features not relevant to airplanes and would only be un necessary features. Though they do offer features that can be useful to some. Their programming is not difficult and usually offers more adjustability. Im no expert but how is it that they size of multi-rotor escs is getting smaller amd smaller while still being able to handle power. Managing that power safely would seem to be better components/software. Multi rotor equipment has an industry drive to improve technology quickly. That doesn’t appear to be the same with rc airplanes electronics.
As well the price difference considering the technology gain in multi rotor escs is substantial
Aug 12, 2019, 10:10 PM
Dumb question, but why do some of the drone controllers look they like they have no capacitors? Do they do something equivalent on the board in more compact form, or just not showing a separate capacitor board that would be required, or that particular application does not require caps for some reason like plane applications do...?
Aug 13, 2019, 09:18 AM
The wires in multirotors are so short that the required capacitors value is small enough to be implemented as a smd flat component that you can't distinguish from a FET if not an electronist. Also, the multirotor ESC delivers current to motor at much higher refresh rates than the fixed wing ESC are operating, so smaller energy delivered in a current pulse.

To the OP: how do you solve the no throttle brake function, required for folding propellers? It is missing from the standard multirotor ESC feature set.
Aug 13, 2019, 09:53 AM
Thread OP
Also high quality capacitors are some times used for multirotor at the fight controller or on the esc depending upon the required setup. Something to keep in mind also is that some of the newer 4-1 escs are being ran WOT close to 180 amps in an esc which only weights about 20 grams. Obviously thats not sustained for more than 5-6 seconds, but still impressive.

Renatoa, im drawing a blank as to the name of the open source software i use to program my escs, but depending upon the esc i use some have the brake function and some do not it available to program.
Aug 13, 2019, 10:12 AM
BL Heli is what you are thinking about.

Most “good” multi rotor builds have additional capacitors in the system. I believe it’s the consensus of esc builders for MR that users, if necessary will add them themselves. A big issue is size and packaging. You can’t stack you’re 4 in 1 with huge caps getting in the way. You would obviously position them somewhere else in the system.
Aug 13, 2019, 10:36 AM
Thread OP
Yep that’s it, BL heli suite. I like the ability to control temperature cut offs and having led status lights to indicate specific conditions. It would be interesting to set up current telemetry through frsky using a kiss controller or something to the like, so you could have current telemetry at the radio.

Quick Reply