Aug 11, 2019, 10:49 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

DJI Mavic Mini - a 18650 powered drone?

I donít expect the leaked Mavic Mini to arrive at DJIís aug 13th event, however I do find the drone extremely interesting if it does stay below the 250g weight limit.

Do you guys think we could see the first 18650 li-Ion powered DJI drone?

DJI Mavic Mini leaked - All the DETAILS! [4K] (14 min 1 sec)

What do you guys think about the Mavic Mini? Seems like a spark replacement.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 11, 2019, 12:22 PM
fly by night
that would be a coup. but I imagine DJI would rather sell you proprietary batteries, not allow any 18650s. Too many 18650 cells on the market allow insufficient amps output and would lead to crashes or real short flight times. Yes there are some 18650 which are great for flying (I use them a lot), but the majority are no good and DJI doesn't want its customers to have a bad experience with their aircraft - they prefer to keep them idiot proof.
Aug 12, 2019, 06:05 AM
Not sure what people expect to see so spectacular gain from these 18650, especially in this size, where half hour flight time is a physical impossibility.
These cells simply don't deliver at 2C, whatever high current they are advertised. Nobody brag about the voltage drop at that high current... and for flying what's important is energy, not the current, taken out of context.

Two mainstream 18650 cells in the 2500-3300 mAh ballpark weigh 90 grams (of 250), if the video tells a word about battery weight then we have an answer.

But that hole could host as well a dual AA replacement, anyone remember RCR-V3, the uber popular battery in the 90s ?
Aug 12, 2019, 09:10 AM
Anafi wannabe
Aug 12, 2019, 03:47 PM
Looking at the contacts under the battery compartment door it's clear that whatever form/chemistry cells they're using they will be in a propriety pack.
https://i2.wp.com/dronedj.com/wp-con...trip=all&ssl=1
Aug 12, 2019, 08:23 PM
fly by night
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa
These cells simply don't deliver at 2C, whatever high current they are advertised. Nobody brag about the voltage drop at that high current... and for flying what's important is energy, not the current, taken out of context.
the li-ion tech delivers the higher energy density compared to lipo. So the energy in li-ion 18650 (and 2170) is there. The real limiting factor is the REAL amps capability of the cells - sustained and burst. And yeah too many companies misrepresent the real sustained amps out put (which means the same thing as the C rating!). Of course none of these can match lipo for C ratings (= real amps capability), not even close.

But for cruisy-type flying with efficient props even multirotors can be great for longish range flying using 18650, 2170 or other li-ion packs. DJI quads are cruisy flyers, tripods in the sky, so that makes 18650 appealing at specific aircraft size/mass. But it has to be VERY specifically engineered around the battery size of course like the Nanogoblin airplane is. Nanogoblin being a 580mm wingspan plank airplane than can achieve 60 minutes flight time on 2x18650 cells. Obviously any multirotor cannot achieve anywhere near the same endurance as plane, just with the reality of carrying 4 motors, let alone a 2 or 3 axis gimbal and 4K cam. but maybe 15 - 20 minutes would be a sweet spot for a gimbal equipped drone at around 250g - I dunno, it is cutting close to what is impossible.
Aug 12, 2019, 09:40 PM
This is going to be interesting with the 4k Zino on the market. I bought one off Amazon in May and after 5 days it quit connecting to the app on my phone. I sent it right back to Amazon. I thought to myself "My next camera drone is going to be a DJI. I want quality."

So I then ordered a Mavic Air off Amazon. It took great video for 3 weeks. During week 4 I noticed about half a dozen burnt pixels in the video. Back to Amazon it went.

Either they need to figure out how to make the electronics in their drones more sturdy or provide customer service that doesn't make buying an expensive drone feel like a total crapshoot.
Aug 13, 2019, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route666
This is going to be interesting with the 4k Zino on the market. I bought one off Amazon in May and after 5 days it quit connecting to the app on my phone. I sent it right back to Amazon. I thought to myself "My next camera drone is going to be a DJI. I want quality."

So I then ordered a Mavic Air off Amazon. It took great video for 3 weeks. During week 4 I noticed about half a dozen burnt pixels in the video. Back to Amazon it went.

Either they need to figure out how to make the electronics in their drones more sturdy or provide customer service that doesn't make buying an expensive drone feel like a total crapshoot.
Well, at least you got your money back by buying through Amazon, right? A Zino can be had for cheap from Banggood vs. Amazon, but I doubt Banggood would be so good to deal with on a return, especially after a few weeks.

I’m excited about the Mavic Mini. May get one, as I had been looking to get a Spark. Now those are mostly gone and prices have gone back up. Should have bought it back in June when Target was selling them for $350 with controller.
Aug 13, 2019, 09:17 PM
If price is an issue, DJI sells refurbished drones, which are just like new, with the same warranty as new.

Or plenty of barely used DJI drones off Craigslist. In one case I bought a refurbished P3 from DJI, used it for a year (not much, no damage) and resold on Craigslist for 15% less than I paid for. Total cost of ownership was lower than a no-name Chinese drone with problems from Banggood (I'm a huge Banggood fan, but for smaller/cheaper stuff)
Aug 14, 2019, 05:12 AM
I keep an eye on Craigslist, but haven’t pulled the trigger on anything.

The most interesting thing about the Mavic Mini is what will it’s weight be? The motivation for them to make it under 250g is clear, but is it really possible?
Aug 14, 2019, 10:09 AM
The Anafi is 374g, and much bigger than what the mini is supposed to be; the Spark 300g. The challenge is the micro gimbal, everything else is pretty easy to make in a 250g drone. And if there's a company with enough gimbal expertise to be able to pull it off, that's DJI

On the other hand, I'm not looking forward to a category of drones with full video capabilities that are not limited by the current FAA rules: drones can be extremely annoying in the hands of the wrong people, and a $350, 250g drone could become an annoying nightmare, buzzing everywhere with no respect for personal (auditory) space
Aug 14, 2019, 10:21 AM
250 grams can "shave" you equally well as 3-400...
Aug 14, 2019, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robca
On the other hand, I'm not looking forward to a category of drones with full video capabilities that are not limited by the current FAA rules: drones can be extremely annoying in the hands of the wrong people, and a $350, 250g drone could become an annoying nightmare, buzzing everywhere with no respect for personal (auditory) space
If that happens will the lawmakers not just lower the weight limit to 150g or even zero?
Aug 14, 2019, 10:33 AM
unionglzr
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa
250 grams can "shave" you equally well as 3-400...
Does anyone have opinions on the MicroDone 4.0 by extreme flyers
Aug 14, 2019, 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unionglzr
Does anyone have opinions on the MicroDone 4.0 by extreme flyers
The not-yet-available drone from a company with a long history of promising on Indiegogo much more than they deliver when the product ships? In March they said it would ship in June, now October, so they could not even estimate something only 3 months out

My guess? Will ship late (later than the already late October), do less than promised, and once in production will still have incomplete firmware and will cost more than similar Chinese drones that will hit the market before the MicroDrone 4.0, as it has happened to pretty much every single "successful" crowdsourced drone. "Successful" drones being the minority and defined as "shipping something"; the majority flamed out and took the funders money.

Why would an established company resort to Indiegogo instead of developing in secret and introducing when successful? While those "innovators" struggle, Chinese companies are using the same components to build working drones at lower price points. Small companies buy ODM components on the same market as the Chinese makers, and rarely have the ability to truly develop something unique (unlike DJI, which makes everything in house with technology not available to anyone else)

Quick Reply