Aug 11, 2019, 10:40 AM
Thread OP
Idea

Idea for built-in plug igniter - whadya think...?

[Sorry if you see this cross-posted - I didn't see a general 'nitro' forum]

I had an idea for a built-in glow plug igniter:
Powered from approx 4V to 8V, i.e. to run off the receiver battery
Stays clipped onto glow plug
Press a button to switch on supply to the plug (with LED to show when plug is powered)
Once the engine is running, press button again to switch off supply to plug
As a back-up, the plug supply automatically switches off after e.g. 30 secs
Maybe press button quickly twice to restart the '30 secs' timer and keep it on a while longer

The basic idea being a) why have yet another battery to have to keep charged up; b) why clip summat on and off for starting.
Top-of-my-head sums seem to suggest that - assuming the engine start goes ok/normal - this would have a minimal impact on Rx battery life. Maybe 10mAh of battery capacity?
Just a 'back of cigarette packet' idea so far, but seems simple and do-able to me.
Is this something that could be useful? Anyone see any problems/improvements?
Or, lol, does someone already make this kinda thing?!
to remove ads between posts
Aug 12, 2019, 07:48 AM

on board ignition

Hi colh107, Back in my racing days in the eighty's one of our members made an on board ignition for his 40 out rigger. It consisted of a nicad cell and a micro switch activated when the throttle was less than 50%. The reasoning was that when quick decelerating, the nitro engine would take in a slug of fuel and cool the glow plug and stop the engine. It worked pretty well. He was able to slow down more than the other boats and continue running. i remember in one race, he was coming to the start and was too early. The other boaters knew that he was usually good on starts so they got close behind him. Upon approach, he abruptly slowed down and all of the others passed him and were over on the start. He then throttled up and was the only legal starting boat. That put him one lap ahead of all the other boats. Using any battery with more than 2v will burn out most glow plugs. Good luck on your quest. Thank you, Gary
Aug 12, 2019, 12:09 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by glgirvin
i remember in one race, he was coming to the start and was too early. The other boaters knew that he was usually good on starts so they got close behind him. Upon approach, he abruptly slowed down and all of the others passed him and were over on the start. He then throttled up and was the only legal starting boat.
Like it! A bit like sailboat kind of starting tactics - luffing someone over the line
Aug 16, 2019, 11:22 AM
fyi, they already make these.... i have one installed on my old Nitro RS4, since it seemed my glow ignitor was ALWAYS dead... LOL it also has the ability to be controlled by the transmitter on a third channel...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-Methanol...D/372703796483
Sep 01, 2019, 10:08 AM
RC boat Rock Star
Don't run 4.8 or more volts to the plug, you'll fry it in an instant. You're better off using only 1.5 volts.
Sep 03, 2019, 11:43 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Olson
Don't run 4.8 or more volts to the plug, you'll fry it in an instant. You're better off using only 1.5 volts.
Oh for sure, yeah - I'd regulate down to 1.5

Quick Reply