Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4food18
WOW. Looks Great.

Subscribed
Hi Fly4food,

Pleased to have you along!

Shane.
Sep 17, 2019, 07:01 PM
Maybe Fuzz is saving the tea for another day and just enjoying Long Island Iced Teas (no tea in them)
Sep 17, 2019, 07:20 PM
Big gov never Works
Actually, the Kalua' is best in a blender with coffee ice cream and milk. After the third one, the build usually gets easier. And, having a POCO album playing on you tube does not hurt... THis present PC I have has great volume! The drunk, downstairs, hollers at the next door neighbor, that has been dead and the house abandoned for 25 yrs. Quite comical..
Sep 18, 2019, 10:04 AM
World Models "Lightex" "bright silver" is supposed to be most aluminum-like. I bought it to use it on my forthcoming Tritle/Brodak DC-3
Sep 18, 2019, 01:20 PM
Big gov never Works
I never learned to be good at iron on's. Some frames I would like to use them. But, I can not do a good job on all the jets radiuses.
Sep 19, 2019, 05:14 PM
Watch out for that planet....
Thread OP
Tip tank construction continues.... not without some minor problems though.

The 4mm piano wire mandrels ( offcut pieces left over from the goose landing gear construction) where initiallyonly ca glued into the balsa keels. Perhaps I would have been clever to have got some extra glue on those when I glued the foam blnks in place because they quickly snapped out once the shaping started on the lathe. Had to glue them back in with 30 minute epoxy allowing an overnight cure. One has come out a second time and re glued but the process is working. requires a gentle had on the sanding block on the lathe to avoid snappin g out the mandrels.

For those wondering, the plan is to heat the wire with a large soldering iron after tanks are shaped to remove them. I don't actually want large lumps of steel in the fronts of my tanks! Un needed nose weight! I might leave them in though untill tanks are glassed so I have a hand hold.

Shane.
Last edited by Shane McMillan; Sep 19, 2019 at 06:12 PM.
Sep 19, 2019, 05:57 PM
Big gov never Works
Very nice, Shane. It's not easy to get a uniform shape, on the Lockheed tanks.

Fuzz
Sep 19, 2019, 06:09 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Fuzz,

Agreed it's a difficult shape, but made easier with the lathe. I'm making a hell of a mess though. Going to have to clean the lathe when I'm done.

When i glass the tanks I'll be using epoxy. Want them as tough as possible given it will land on them!

Shane.
Sep 19, 2019, 06:15 PM
The pin-vice has run off again
All looking very good. Isn't it nice when ones 'cunning plans' work
Sep 19, 2019, 07:18 PM
Thread OP
Hi Vicky,

Yes it is indeed. Feeling as cunning as Baldrick with his cunning plan....

Baldricks Cunning Plan.avi (1 min 18 sec)

Shane.
Sep 20, 2019, 01:55 PM
The pin-vice has run off again
lol, I have a lot of sympathy with Baldrick . At one time all my 'cunning plans' to try to catch Mum's pet donkey, who was a right hooligan, were about as successful as Baldrick's.

Vicky
Sep 20, 2019, 02:58 PM
Nice work with the tanks Shane. I was wondering if bamboo skewers would be sufficiently true to work as mandrels and could be left in the finished tank.

Alec
Sep 20, 2019, 03:08 PM
Thread OP
Hi Alec,
Bamboo skewers probably would work but I would not use the thin ones as they might break.Also my use of tube at the back end is deliberate so it can fit over the live center on the lathe.
No doubt somebody will ask what is a live center? The tapered cone thingy on the tailstock is the live center. It has a bearing inside and spins with the job.

Cheers,
Shane.

Quick Reply