Aug 10, 2019, 10:53 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Foam SE5a from Banggood review and video

Foam SE 5 (1 min 20 sec)

8mm motor with gearbox and prop from Banggood. I think a 7mm motor would be just fine.
Cheap heli brick.
150ma battery.
Home made wheels.
Pros;
Relatively inexpensive.
Lightweight, 37 gm RTF
Quick easy build.
Fun to fly.
Not bad looking for the price.
Cons;
Depron like foam was very weak and flimsy in my kit
I had to add wing wires to keep the wings from folding.
I made balsa wheels because the foam ones were too weak.
Some shipping damage. (repairable).
Model would not survive many "hard landings" without major damage.
In my opinion the construction and material could be improved but it is fun to build and fly.
The white SE5a in the background of the video is the RAF SE5a balsa wood kit from e-bay. I really like it because it is strong and well designed, fun to build and flies well but it is about 10 gm heavier than the foam one.
Ben
to remove ads between posts
Aug 15, 2019, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the great review, Ben. I agree that the foam used is too thin and floppy.

Hope your lovely Albatros D.2 is flying well. You should build more like that.

Gene K
Aug 16, 2019, 12:52 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Gene K. The Albatros is still flying but it has taken some punishment.

Ben

Quick Reply