Quote:
Originally Posted by WBE
I have you down Dave, thank you.
Thank you
Aug 22, 2019, 06:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flywilly57
Hi hook57,
Unfortunately you cannot use the RF piston/sleeve in the VF. At least not as a drop in fit. The sleeve diameter is wrong, but of greater significance is the connecting rod is wrong (too short) and the crankpin is a bit further out from center on the long strokes. All of this screws up the port timing. However, Brian might be able to revitalize the old piston and sleeve by removing the original sleeve liner material and re-chroming then fit the old piston to the sleeve. Bob Oge (here in the USA) used to do this (I though he had retired - not sure). I had Bob do several sets of parts, including and OS 61VF P/S, and I was very impressed. If Brian can do the same thing then you will have some very good replacement parts.
-Will
Didn't think it was possible so thanks Will, and others, for that. I have three VFs so I may look into the options you mentioned. Thanks again.
Aug 22, 2019, 09:02 AM
Oxford Panic
If it's possible to refinish liners then I guess this may also be a better option for all the SFs and RFs out there. What does Brian think about this as an alternative to manufacturing just this part from scratch.

A.
Aug 22, 2019, 10:51 AM
WBE
WBE
White Fang
Thread OP
Good question and I’ll bring that up in my Sunday evening email to him and report back. I’m not an expert on this myself, my guess is that you (or I or anybody) will take on the risk of sending a sleeve that may not be viable. If the part is viable then the additional costs over a new part will be the shipping to the machinist and the labor to strip the nikasil. Finding someone local, or at least in-country, might make this a better option economically, don’t know. This is worth checking.
Aug 22, 2019, 12:39 PM
Oxford Panic
Bill,

I have at least one used liner I would not need again so I could send it for evaluation.

A.
Aug 22, 2019, 05:50 PM
Yes, rejuvenating used parts is much cheaper. Worn parts are okay, but damaged parts may not be usable. Specifically, deep scratches in either the piston or the sleeve.
If Brian can make the parts, then he should be able to re-use old parts. which would be a bit faster and easier for him.
I have also sent an email to Bob Oge (here in the US)to inquire as to his interest and availability to work on a potentially large number of used parts.
It is always good to have options.
-Will
Aug 23, 2019, 02:44 PM
Hi WBE,

I have a few Hannos, so i'm interested as well.

I sent you a PM.

Scott
Aug 23, 2019, 02:56 PM
WBE
WBE
White Fang
Thread OP
Scott, I’m on my lunch hour now, reply forthcoming.

Bill
Aug 23, 2019, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbe
scott, iím on my lunch hour now, reply forthcoming.

Bill
ok 🙂
Aug 31, 2019, 04:30 PM
I'll take an SF also.
Sep 01, 2019, 09:18 AM
WBE
WBE
White Fang
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgilbert
I'll take an SF also.
Added to list, thanks.
Sep 25, 2019, 12:30 PM
WBE
WBE
White Fang
Thread OP

Update

Update- I exchanged emails with Brian a couple days ago. Parts runs for both rear and side exhaust engines are in the queue and a sample engine of each type are being sent to him.

Regards, Bill
Sep 25, 2019, 12:45 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBE
Update- I exchanged emails with Brian a couple days ago. Parts runs for both rear and side exhaust engines are in the queue and a sample engine of each type are being sent to him.

Regards, Bill
Wonderful. Thank you.
Sep 25, 2019, 10:17 PM
DavidsPlanes
Most excellent!

David

Quick Reply