Aug 10, 2019, 09:30 PM
WBE
WBE
White Fang
Thread OP
New Product

Making ABC piston/liner/rod/pin sets for O.S. 61SF /RF engines (tally in OP)

Brian Gardner has been making aftermarket replacement ABC P/L sets for the control line stunt community for many years and has earned a reputation for excellent workmanship. Seeing a possible need for replacement pistons and sleeves for all the O.S. 61SF and RF engines with peeling nickel coated liners I asked him if he would be up for making a run of P/L sets if there were interest. He said yes but he was not as familiar with the fits on our pattern engines as he is with control line stunt engines. He did make some ABC P/L sets for YS61 engines in the past but received no feedback on how they performed.

The materials he uses are aluminum, brass with a true chromium plating on the sleeve. As far as getting the fits correct I will send Brian (he lives in Australia) my new 61SF for getting the fits, bore taper etc.

List for P/L/rod/pin requests:

WBE- 1-SF 1-RF
SeismicCWave- 2-RF
imodel- 2-SF
bkanter- 1-RF
Andrew1966- 2-RF
Roslyn- 2-SF
doxilia- 1-SF 1-RF
Flywilly57- 2-RF
2michaely- 1-RF
Mike3976- 2-SF
WDuck- 2-SF 1-RF
flyonenow- 2-RF
flystunt- 2-SF
Hook57- 2-SF 1-RF
enkei- 2-RF
Navav2002- 1-SF 4-RF
Cap102- 2-SF 1-RF
Joels55- 2-SF 2-RF
RACE66- 1-RF
gerryndennis- 1-SF
pgilbert 1-SF
Whitman Flyers 2-SF 2-RF
Schmeg 2-SF
peazump 2-RF
Solomaster 2-SF
JCLARKE 2-SF
nxtdoor 1-SF
turbo.gst 1-RF
Glenno69 2-SF
carr200 2-SF 2-RF
Dave Swanson 2-SF 2-RF
Tombass 1-SF 1-RF
jengel 1-SF
dhal22 1-SF 1-RF
burgh_guy61 1-SF 1-RF
Jorgele 2-SF 2-RF
fajardodaniel 2-RF
Cratecruncher 1-SF
AlienTech 2-RF
1stGeppetto 1-SF 1-RF
Dutch68 2-RF
ChiliP 1-SF
Real Rainedave 1-SF
JimOliver 1-SF
grampatuner 1-SF 1-RF
speedbird309 1-SF
Discus54 1-SF 2-RF
jbudd 1-RF
Helipatt2 1-RF
Majesticflyer 1-RF
Brendo78 2-RF
waruaki 1-SF
Tnewman 1-SF 2-RF
roary m 1-RF
patternflyer 1-RF
SuperNash 2-SF
Bob — 1-SF 1-RF

All comments welcome, Bill
Last edited by WBE; Nov 16, 2020 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Changed title slightly
to remove ads between posts
Aug 10, 2019, 10:28 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBE
Brian Gardner has been making aftermarket replacement ABC P/L sets for the control line stunt community for many years and has earned a reputation for excellent workmanship. Seeing a possible need for replacement pistons and sleeves for all the O.S. 61SF and RF engines with peeling nickel coated liners I asked him if he would be up for making a run of P/L sets if there were interest. He said yes but he was not as familiar with the fits on our pattern engines as he is with control line stunt engines. He did make some ABC P/L sets for YS61 engines in the past but received no feedback on how they performed.

The materials he uses are aluminum, brass with a true chromium plating on the sleeve. As far as getting the fits correct I will send Brian (he lives in Australia) my new 61SF for getting the fits, bore taper etc.

I have one of his P/L sets for a Super Tigre 51 in my stunter and it runs beautifully. I’d be down for two sets for my 61SF engines.

All comments welcome, Bill
I will be if he makes pistons and sleeves for the 61RF. Of course it will also depends on how much money we are talking about.
Aug 11, 2019, 05:54 AM
I’d be interested in a couple SF sets, again depends on price.

R
Aug 11, 2019, 07:02 AM
If Brian is serious, have him change the porting to that used in the Hanno (without the notches) Special. I'm sure I have an old Hanno sleeve I can send him . This would be be for both the SF and RF. The notches do nothing for performance and were omitted in the ringed MKII Hannos.
Aug 11, 2019, 07:37 AM
I would be interested in a couple of RF sets.
Aug 11, 2019, 09:35 AM
WBE
WBE
White Fang
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by flywilly57
If Brian is serious, have him change the porting to that used in the Hanno (without the notches) Special. I'm sure I have an old Hanno sleeve I can send him . This would be be for both the SF and RF. The notches do nothing for performance and were omitted in the ringed MKII Hannos.
I’ll send him a link to here and invite him join in on the discussion. All he needs is a consensus on what to build and a good quality sample to take measurements from. Minimal orders in the past has been “around 20 sets” and lead times have been around 6 months.

I agree, if we’re going to create a market for these items let’s use the wisdom of hindsight and ask Brian to reproduce the best version. The notches you mention, are those the relief cuts in the piston skirt? I’ve never had a Hanno Special in my hands.

So far there seems to be just as much interest in the SF as the RF. If there’s demand Brian could make a production run for both. Are the sleeves interchangeable to each engine?
Aug 11, 2019, 09:45 AM
WBE
WBE
White Fang
Thread OP
Changed title to include O.S. 61RF engines also.
Aug 11, 2019, 10:24 AM

Hi

Hi.
I am new to the forum, so bear with me.
I would be interested in a piston and liner for my hanno special abc.
So count me in.
Regards Andy
Aug 11, 2019, 10:57 AM
WBE
WBE
White Fang
Thread OP
Fantastic Andy, welcome! So far it seems we have about 7 orders for the RF and 4 for the SF. Are the RF and Hanno Special P/L interchangeable?
Aug 11, 2019, 11:34 AM
I am not sure. Hopefully a hanno special expert may shed some light on that. For sure I will want a couple of sets. Love my hanno special and will be building a supra star clone shortly, so it will be going in to it.
Aug 11, 2019, 12:38 PM
LSF 174
I would like two sets for the SF. Again depending on cost.

Roz
Aug 11, 2019, 01:17 PM
DavidsPlanes
I would take a couple of RF/HS sets.

Will can confirm or correct me but I believe that the main difference between the RF and the HS is the sleeve porting and possibly (probably?) crankshaft timing. I think the identical same crankcase is used in both engines. The heads of the two engines might also be slightly different (combustion chamber) other than the obvious anodizing colour.

There are 3 different “backplates”/carb combinations: standard (RF), 4-line pumped (RF-P) and 2-line pumped (HS).

David
Aug 11, 2019, 01:20 PM
Yes,
The P/S for the RF and the Hanno are interchangeable and the pistons are the same for all (Hanno, RF, SF). Different sleeve for the SF.
Can Brian do an AAC P/S set? (lighter and better heat transfer)
I have done this before with Henry Nelson; so a few 'caveats':
1) Interest on this thread is a not a paid commitment to purchase
2) Get a firm commitment from Brian: 25 sets of 'X' and 15 sets of 'Y' for $$$ delivered by mm/dd/yyyy.
I had to commit to a certain number of sets before Henry was willing to go forward. I paid $6,300 for 50 sets of Hannos and 10 sets of YS AR P/S based on internet 'interest'. It took about 15 months to sell them (and I kept a few for myself) worldwide. I sold them for what I paid for them: $90 apiece plus shipping costs. I would expect the price to be higher per set if this venture proceeds.
I might be interested in a couple sets myself.
Good Luck!
Aug 11, 2019, 01:30 PM
AMA 46133
>> The P/S for the RF and the Hanno are interchangeable and the pistons are the same for all (Hanno, RF, SF). Different sleeve for the SF. <<

Sorry I need to clarify here. The pistons for the SF and RF are very different also. The SF has two cut outs on the skirt and the RF has one.

>> Can Brian do an AAC P/S set? (lighter and better heat transfer)<<

That will be great won't it.

>>1) Interest on this thread is a not a paid commitment to purchase<<

Absolutely. It is so easy to say "I am interested" on thread until the Paypal invoice comes calling. So yes some one should build up a "trust fund". Take deposit or the entire amount and put them in a bank. Buyers should be advised of the long delivery time and keep updated on the progress if possible.

>>2) Get a firm commitment from Brian: 25 sets of 'X' and 15 sets of 'Y' for $$$ delivered by mm/dd/yyyy. <<

Totally!

If a supply of pistons and sleeves is available the market for those used OS 61 SF/RF's on eBay and classifieds here will be such hot items. I will not hesitate to buy them to refurbish. Nowadays finding piston/sleeve for the SF/RF's are near impossible.
Last edited by SeismicCWave; Aug 11, 2019 at 01:59 PM. Reason: adding personal view
Aug 11, 2019, 02:01 PM
Here's a link to Clarence Lee's review of the Hanno Special; it has a lot of comparison descriptions with the SF and RF engines:
http://sceptreflight.com/Model%20Eng...%2061SF-P.html

At a glance, bore and stroke are the same for all three engines

cylinder head on Hanno is machined from bar stock rather than die cast but combustion chamber shape and measured combustion chamber volume the same as RF

I have an RF and would be interested in an Hanno Special liner/piston (if the consensus is this variant would be compatible with an RF), subject to price of course.

Michael in Ontario, Canada
Last edited by 2michaely; Aug 11, 2019 at 04:33 PM.

Quick Reply