Aug 16, 2019, 03:47 PM
Oxford Panic
I have sent a contact form to Just Engines to see if they can locate a P/L set for an RF, who knows they may find something in the back of a drawer somewhere or know someone who has one.

A.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 16, 2019, 06:03 PM
Id be in for two RF and one SF!!
Aug 16, 2019, 07:00 PM
WBE
WBE
White Fang
Thread OP
Iíve added you to the list, thanks!
Aug 17, 2019, 07:07 AM

HANNO PISTON,PIN and LINER

I recall the link on the liners years ago, thought it was a great opportunity to keep the 'fire' going. At that time I didn't have a engine that was part of the recipe. But now, things have changed. I currently have a Hanno that runs well, but, I would like to have an additional assembly for future needs. As they say, "put me down for one set" and I can pay up front to help the logistics for labor and materials. Thanks for 'everyone' who has brought this forward and it appears that were on the way of supplying much needed parts for great engines.

Mike
Aug 20, 2019, 08:38 AM
Oxford Panic
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyOne
I have sent a contact form to Just Engines to see if they can locate a P/L set for an RF, who knows they may find something in the back of a drawer somewhere or know someone who has one.

A.

Had this back from Just Engines...

Hi there,

I agree that if someone could make some of these parts at the right price there would be demand. Sadly we havenít had any for some years now.. and I canít suggest where to go to find one, other than getting lucky at a swap meet.

Thanks for getting in touch, sorry we can't help further.

Andrew
Aug 20, 2019, 10:38 AM
WBE
WBE
White Fang
Thread OP
The inquiry to Just Engines was well worth the effort, thank you.

An email was sent to Brian notifying him that we have gathered a minimum number of preorders to request being placed in the queue. (For the 61RF)

ďThe guys just need to nail down details of exactly what port version they want and send me a sample engine accordingly.Ē -B. Gardner

Thereís no hurry but discussion is encouraged. I would ask that, if we do decide to ask Brian to build a sleeve with optimized/altered timing, we donít create something that we canít use unless we have some special, rare pipe that is no longer available.

Which reminds me, I need to find an RF with a with a peeled/worn out sleeve. Fleabay here I come!
Aug 20, 2019, 10:56 AM
Oxford Panic
Bill,

I mentioned before, I have the remains of an RF which has a few bits missing after a rebuild of 2 into one. It has a scored liner but I thought Brian wanted a new one to get the measurements from.
When it comes to porting I would be happy with the original OS layout as I'm not sure if another variant would work with my pipe.

A.
Aug 20, 2019, 11:21 AM
WBE
WBE
White Fang
Thread OP
Thanks AndyOne, let’s both hang tight to our sample engines for now and see what the group says. SeismicC also has a nearly new RF to loan (stock OS timing I believe). My New SF is stock too. That may be the way to go because I’d guess they’d be usable to the largest number of modelers.

We have months to decide before Brian starts tooling up for our parts.

Bill
Last edited by WBE; Aug 20, 2019 at 07:03 PM.
Aug 20, 2019, 12:49 PM
AMA 46133
>>SeismicC also has a nearly new RF to loan (stock OS timing I believe).<<

Yes less than 30 minute run on a test bench. Everything stock. I am willing to send.

I vote for going with a stock RF piston/liner setup since it is more middle of the road. Hanno Special was a great engine but it may take some work to turn a stock RF into a Hanno Special by changing a piston and liner. There are definitely a lot more stock RF's on the market than a Hanno Special right now and that is not going to change since neither is in production.
Aug 20, 2019, 04:41 PM
Anyone know if by chance the RF piston/sleeve also fits the older .61VF? I'm thinking no but worth asking! Thanks.
Aug 20, 2019, 05:36 PM
Oxford Panic
Hook,

I'd say it's unlikely as the VF was optimised for revs.

A.
Aug 20, 2019, 06:38 PM
Hi hook57,
Unfortunately you cannot use the RF piston/sleeve in the VF. At least not as a drop in fit. The sleeve diameter is wrong, but of greater significance is the connecting rod is wrong (too short) and the crankpin is a bit further out from center on the long strokes. All of this screws up the port timing. However, Brian might be able to revitalize the old piston and sleeve by removing the original sleeve liner material and re-chroming then fit the old piston to the sleeve. Bob Oge (here in the USA) used to do this (I though he had retired - not sure). I had Bob do several sets of parts, including and OS 61VF P/S, and I was very impressed. If Brian can do the same thing then you will have some very good replacement parts.
-Will
Aug 20, 2019, 07:09 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by hook57
Anyone know if by chance the RF piston/sleeve also fits the older .61VF? I'm thinking no but worth asking! Thanks.
Sorry no. The RF/SF are long stroke engines with a bore of 23mm and a stroke of 24mm.
http://sceptreflight.com/Model%20Eng...%2061SF-P.html

However the VF is a short stroke engine with a bore of 24mm and a stroke of 22mm. So t he crank shaft design and the piston and sleeve combination are very different. Even the con rods are off by 1mm.

http://sceptreflight.com/Model%20Eng...ax%2061VF.html
Aug 20, 2019, 11:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hook57
Yes the id of the 61RF liner fits perfectly in the the 61VF case. The problem with it is that even if you used the VF conrod the RF head protrudes to far into the cylinder.

On the other hand you can fit a VF piston/liner, crankshaft, and head on to a RF case.

For a short time there was short stroke 61's that utilized the SF and RF cases (one piece instead of the two piece case of the 61FSRand 61VF case.

The OS Max engines that utilized the SF and RF cases have the designation of 61SF-N or 61SFN and 61RF-N or 61RFN. They started as helicopter engines then OS made them them for airplane use. This was for a very short span between the time when pattern planes went from the long stroke 61's to the 4 stroke 120's. The helo guys wanted the larger bore for the 61's.

Whats better a long stroke or larger bore.

The thing that most people don't realize is you can tune a short stoke like a long stroke by utilizing the same long stroke tuned pipe setup. Almost the exact same performance.

I have converted 6 long stroke 61RF's to short strokes because i couldn't find any long stroke P&l sets to replace the very badly pealed liners.

Two of them I used the PA-102 pump and carb from 61RF-P's. Haven't rum them yet but as soon as i do I post the results.
Aug 21, 2019, 04:05 PM
Can I add my name to the list for an SF set please?

I’m in New Zealand so it may be easier for Brian to ship directly to me when the time comes but whatever works best.

Thank you,

Dave H

Quick Reply