Aug 28, 2019, 07:00 PM
Or current resident
Thread OP
My parents were from Jersey and I spent a few summers on the shore. My uncle had a beach house in Manasquan. Did a lot of fishing out of Toms River. Weather not much different than here in summer, just our summer is a LOT longer!
I'll heed your warnings on the flaperons as I've never tried them. Maybe very limited deflection at 3 mistakes high just to see what they do.
Glenn
to remove ads between posts
Aug 31, 2019, 07:44 AM
Or current resident
Thread OP
Started the wing. Penciled in the ailerons and started framing. Finished the left side, then realized the aileron looked too far inboard. Cut it apart and rebuilt the aileron further out and now it looks a lot better.

So today is the last day of the build off and it's starting to look like I might not finish in time.
I gave it a good try, but with all the distractions of renovating and selling a house it just wasn't meant to be. House still hasn't sold, that was delayed due to the storm. Friday is the scheduled closing. This is the third closing date, hopefully it actually happens this time!

So,,, if I tape the parts together and throw it across the living room, does that count as a flight?
I'll finish it, but it's going to take me another month or so due to the complexity of the paint scheme.

Glenn
Aug 31, 2019, 08:12 AM
you haven't seen a tree until
Glenn, Whether its finished in time or not I've been enjoying following along and the skeleton looks lovely. Sorry that the house sale has been such a PITA.
Aug 31, 2019, 11:21 AM
Glenn, it does look fantastic I think. You have built it and it is close...that last 5% takes a long time. Hope the Hurricane forecast changes some more and it stays away from land but that is wishful thinking. At least it appears to be skipping Florida and you will only see plenty of rain and some high winds.
David
Aug 31, 2019, 01:59 PM
Neophyte hacker
Quote:
Originally Posted by glewis
So,,, if I tape the parts together and throw it across the living room, does that count as a flight?
I'll finish it, but it's going to take me another month or so due to the complexity of the paint scheme.

Glenn
Pete would say yes. He had many planes that "flew into the wall" during the build process. I emulated that aspect of "flying models" several times myself

charlie
Aug 31, 2019, 03:32 PM
Or current resident
Thread OP
LOL! I wasn't tossing this one against the wall in frustration. Was an attempt to get in a 'flight' before the deadline.
Could hang it from the ceiling and take some pics and say it's covered in transparent film.

Which brings up another topic. I plan on covering this one with the 'soft touch' film and painting with either MM Acryl or Vallejo paints. That is if I can find the film. It's here somewhere in the post move disorganized mess. I'm putting stuff away as I find it and hopefully soon I'll have my hobby room all set up.
Will be an experiment and if I like the film I'll spend the hundo and buy a roll of the stuff.

Added a spar to the top of the wing to support the covering. Tossed it all on the scale and 45.6 grams so far. A little heavy, but not too bad.
Dummy engine and pilot arrived from Parkflyer plastics. Need to take a break from working on the wing, suppose I'll start on the undercarriage.
Aug 31, 2019, 05:18 PM
Big gov never Works
Glenn, the soft touch film, is that the doculam? Re required flight, does it say it has to fly RC? Tie a string to it and swing it around.

Fuzz
Aug 31, 2019, 07:47 PM
Or current resident
Thread OP
I think it's silk touch. The stuff Bare discovered. Here's his thread on it.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...aminating-film
Sep 01, 2019, 07:46 AM
Or current resident
Thread OP
Laminated the wheel pant parts last night. Made up a set of 1/16 ply 'washers' and glued them to the inside to keep the wheels centered.
Was planning on making my own wheels, but remembered I had a pair of these Du Bro wheels. Drilled out the hole to accept a piece of 3/32 brass tube. Put a but of CA on the tube and pressed it in.
Took the parts outside and made a cloud of balsa dust while shaping them. The plan is mount the ply gear legs between the wires with epoxy. Epoxy the pants to the legs. The wheel is inserted, then a length of 1/16 tube slid in to act as the bearing. Think I'll grind a groove near the end of the wire and crimp the tube into the groove to keep the bearing tube in place. This way if the bearing wears out or the wheel needs to be removed for some reason, I can pull the bearing tube out and remove the wheel.
Think I'll make up a tail wheel and mount the strut to the rudder for a steerable tail wheel. Tail skids don't work well on our geotextile runway and the tail wheel will improve ground handling.
Glenn
Sep 01, 2019, 02:34 PM
Big gov never Works
I have used those wheels before, Glenn. A disc of bristol board make good covers. The tail skid would have been real good for ground loops, esp on the Geo-Tex.

Fuzz
Sep 01, 2019, 04:26 PM
Or current resident
Thread OP
Great idea. I gotta get me some of that bristol board. Yea, tail draggers with a skid don't do well on that surface. All the ones I have are ground looping monsters that are near impossible to taxi. Point into the wind and go.
Sep 01, 2019, 04:40 PM
Or current resident
Thread OP
Looking at Bristol board and there are a few options. Smooth, vellum, 300, 400, 500. The 300 is wood pulp 400 is a mix and 500 is cotton. Which one do you use?
Sep 01, 2019, 06:24 PM
With next to no nose on many biplanes and most WWI fighters the nose over is a common problem. A Dr.1 and grass do not mix well... Imagine Geotex would be about as bad.

Odds are Pat Trifle can and does make it look easy landing those aircraft. Pat would practice touch and gos with his Super Cub on one wheel for fun...

I have seen lots of YouTube video of taildragger STOL plane pilots put the tail wheel down first then roll the main wheels onto the landing strip.
Sep 01, 2019, 06:45 PM
Or current resident
Thread OP
I have a Dr1 and yep, landing without a noseover is a win! Landing one well will sure will challenge your throttle/elevator management. The geotext is slick and the tailskid doesn't provide much drag that helps to help keep the model straight. Trying to steer on the ground is near impossible. Once you start to loose direction, it ground loops with no hope of recovery. Every one of my WWi models do the same thing. Frustrating to taxi almost all the way to the pits, then lose it in the last few feet
Used to do that with my GWS Tiger Moth. One wheel, then switch to the other all the way down the runway. Or tail wheel landing where you drag the tail wheel down the runway as far as you can before the mains hit. Wayne (Basketcase) was the Tiger Moth master and we were all trying to keep up with him. His palm tree slalom flying was something you had to see to believe.
Sep 01, 2019, 08:20 PM
Big gov never Works
Thats the series 300 Bristol sheets, vellum. 22.5x28.5" Strathmore artist papers. #345-12-1. I get it at Michaels about 4bux a sheet. I use it for many things, even ducting. RBC gives it in their kits for ducting. I seal it with lacquer, but Shane uses the non w/b urethane. I never tried w/b products, do not know of the paint rating . It really sucks up the first coats of lac, and gets very stiff. Use it for single curve panels or flat panels. Loves tissue and silk span. Has a grain, bends easy one direction.

Fuzz

Quick Reply