Aug 18, 2019, 06:21 PM
Or current resident
Thread OP
Made up a former sandwich. The spreader V sits in the opening and is not glued. Seems like it's going to work very well. There is very little side to side movement and a good amount of spring in the gear spread direction.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 18, 2019, 06:28 PM
Neophyte hacker
I agree with leaving the spreader bar free. It is how Pete did the large YMF and it worked very well.

charlie
Aug 18, 2019, 06:35 PM
Big gov never Works
That should handle the occasional, off the runway grass excursion, Glenn.
Aug 19, 2019, 01:45 PM
Or current resident
Thread OP
I got a basic assembly together last night and it does work very well. Hope to finish the hatch assembly tonight.
Still dealing with house issues, so my bench time is again limited. Replaced the dead blower motor in the ac at the house that is for sale. Brand new motor. Bad... It runs in reverse and will not respond to the commands used to reverse the direction of rotation. Called Regal tech support and he went through everything I did to get the motor running in the correct direction. He says motor is bad and they are sending me a replacement. I was supposed to have the ac repaired today for the appraisal. This is getting old. All this selling a house crap is getting in the way of me building planes!
Aug 19, 2019, 02:42 PM
Big gov never Works
Nothing should ever interfere, with a persons modeling, or favorite fishn' hole.
Aug 20, 2019, 12:32 PM
Big gov never Works
Yes, Streak wing joiner.
Aug 20, 2019, 12:46 PM
Neophyte hacker
I wonder how many of them I went though over the years of my youth

My introduction to free flight and the first plane I ever lost cause it flew so well

charlie
Aug 20, 2019, 12:54 PM
Big gov never Works
had so many wing joiners, I used them to scratch build simple rubber. The problem was, 1/16 would not work. The wings on the Streak were 1/20. Like so many sheet balsa kits were, back then. Esp., the Berkeleys.
Aug 20, 2019, 01:24 PM
Or current resident
Thread OP
Yep, 1/20 wings and the fuselage stick was 5/32. Remove the landing gear and add a huge loop of 1/8 rubber. Had a bunch of Streeks go OOS, last seen headed out over Tampa bay. Still would be fun to make one with micro rc equipment. I toyed with the idea of using t-shirt transfer paper for the graphics, but that stuff seems like it would be heavier than the wood it was ironed onto.
Aug 20, 2019, 01:52 PM
Big gov never Works
Glenn, I recall one made for electric RC a few yrs back. Was enlarged tho. IIRC, they were made in Bend, Or.
Aug 20, 2019, 04:47 PM
Or current resident
Thread OP
Enlarged? Nah, that would make it too easy! Wonder if 1/20 sheet is still available? I think Guillows still sells the nose piece with prop?
Aug 20, 2019, 09:28 PM
Big gov never Works
Easy built models, has the props and 1/20. Dave Rees, Peck Polymers, used to have the props, bearings, extruded joiners, and 1/20. I was trying to remember the complete name: Sleek Streak.

Fuzz
Aug 25, 2019, 08:59 PM
Or current resident
Thread OP
Managed a bit of bench time today despite all the issues with the house I have for sale. The air conditioner repair has wasted 3 days of my time and is starting to get expensive. Closing is Friday and I'll have more spare time, but I won't come close to being finished in time for the end of the build off. I will finish the model though.

Soldiering on then...
Finished the cowl. It's mounted with 3 magnets and a couple of pins. Landing gear is almost done, all that's left to do is glue the leg covers on.
Hatch has been shaped and mounting complete. Made up the motor mount and mounted the motor. At this point the fuselage is almost done.
Spent a lot of time adding a strip of wood here and there to strengthen a few areas. Might add diagonal braces to the fuselage bays too.
Since this one will have more than twice the power Pete designed it for, I feel a little extra bracing here and there is warranted.
Glenn

Quick Reply