Aug 10, 2019, 06:59 PM
Or current resident
Thread OP
Discussion

Peter Rake Scale Build Off: Monocoupe 110

Well, I guess better late than never, so here we go.

Many years ago I built the Sterling peanut 90A and it actually was a decent flying model. Flew it at a few indoor meets here and it would do near a minute on a long loop of 1/8 rubber. It was sitting on top of the cable box on top of the TV when my nephew spied it. He pulled over a foot stool and climbed up to get the airplane. I was in the kitchen and as soon as I heard him say 'airplane' I knew what was happening, but he beat me to it. CRUNCH. Totaled... Dagnabbit, I had spent hours on the scallops cut from tissue and doped on. Oh well, he didn't know any better and wanted to play with it.

Always liked the Monocoupe and when Pete drew up these plans I knew I had to give it a go. I won't be building it exactly to plan (sorry Pete). I think I will lengthen the wing a couple of bays, remove the dihedral and add ailerons. Equipment will be AR6410NBL and a BL180 on 2s. Should be a sporty little flyer!
Last edited by glewis; Aug 11, 2019 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Added plans
to remove ads between posts
Aug 10, 2019, 07:14 PM
Or current resident
Thread OP
Been quite a while since I have had time to sit down and build something. I was renovating the house I was living in when my mother became ill. We took care of her in her home as long as we could. When she needed 24 hour care we had to make other arrangements for her. She passed last year and I took over her house making finishing the renovations and selling the old place a priority. Finished that, put house on the market then moved and have been organizing my stuff. Nowhere near done yet, but with the build off deadline approaching, time to get busy.

When I mentioned building this one Mark Winstanley offered to cut the kit for me. It arrived long before I moved and I spent a while this morning trying to find it in the pile of boxes that will be organized into my hobby room. The parts arrived well packed in a cardboard sleeve.
The parts are nicely CNC cut, so no dang charred edges to clean off. I like!
Aug 10, 2019, 07:22 PM
Or current resident
Thread OP
First deviation from the plan. Since this one will be a bit heavier with a 2s setup, I decided to double up the longerons. I laminated 2 strips of 1/16 to give it enough strength to be handled without crushing it. Will probably double up the longerons on the inside too forming the corner with 3 strips of wood.
The glue is drying as I type this. Then on to the second side.
Glenn
Aug 10, 2019, 08:01 PM
Big gov never Works
Hi Glenn, what are the specs? Glad your finally getting to build again.

Fuzz
Aug 10, 2019, 08:02 PM
Or current resident
Thread OP
Second side done. I prefer to use Guillows stringer stock. The stuff is hard balsa and is really strong. It's a bit lighter than Bass and stronger too. More brittle though. You can order them from Guillows here for only 2 bucks a sheet.
Glenn
Aug 10, 2019, 08:06 PM
Or current resident
Thread OP
Thanks Fuzz. Been watching your stick built EDF. Amazing.
Going to have to tackle one myself someday.
Plan is drawn at 18" span. The 110 was the clipped wing racing version of the 90A. I plan on extending it one or two bays on each side, so 20 or 22", haven't decided yet. The wing will still look shorter than the 90A,
Plan on doing this scheme, same as the Sterling peanut version that met an untimely demise....
Glenn
Aug 10, 2019, 09:01 PM
Big gov never Works
Thank you, Glenn! I agree, the iron wood stringers, Guillows uses are the best. I cannot strip balsa that hard. They have to be saw cut. I get rid of the saw hairs, buy cutting the stringers loose, wrapping them together on both ends with rubber bands. And, rolling them between my palms. Only takes 30sec.

Never built RC as small as yourself and a few others build. I think that requires more finesse, than I have at this point in life.

Fuzz
Aug 11, 2019, 01:52 PM
Or current resident
Thread OP
Thanks Fuzz. Yea, it does require a lighter touch than the bigger ones.
We have a fuselage. Was a bit different with the horizontal formers on the top and bottom of the fuse. Nice thing about them is they pull everything into alignment. Added a few strips to make the structure a bit more crush resistant.
Modified the Stryker motor mount to turn it around. I like this one due to the 4 mounting ears. Will make thrust angle adjustment easier.
The lower portion of the fuse has that dreaded notation, carve from block. I'll make it the battery/equipment hatch held on with magnets.
Still haven't decided on the motor, 2500kv or 3000kv. Will be easy enough to swap out later.
Glenn
Aug 11, 2019, 06:02 PM
Have ~ 23" SIG Monocoupe 40+ yrs old which has survived a Lot.
A very simple build ...where the hardest part was carving the LG to fuse fillets (memorable that)

Might find this an interesting read re too light bits..
Aug 11, 2019, 06:30 PM
Or current resident
Thread OP
I'm trying to figure out what to do with the landing gear now. Pete's plan has the gear legs attaching to the bottom of the fuse, then the rest whittled out of a block balsa. I'm thinking the gear will be attached to a hatch that is the bottom of the fuselage. Have drawn up some formers and parts and now time to mock it up to see if this will work. Basically it's a partial F5 part with sub formers then planked with 1/16x1/8 strips, held on with a couple of pins at the front and 2 pair of magnets at the rear. Just realized I didn't post the plans, so added them to the first post for anyone that would like to follow along or build one.
Aug 11, 2019, 07:17 PM
Good looking little subject there. Thinking of something similar sized to use up some sub micro gear laying around. Gotta love those subjects that barely use any of the build table. Neat idea with the landing gear, and it would get it out of the way from the battery bay. I have a few micros where the battery has to be fiddled around the gear to install and remove.
Aug 12, 2019, 05:29 AM
Big gov never Works
How does the LG flex, Glenn?
Aug 12, 2019, 07:39 AM
Or current resident
Thread OP
That's seems a problem with the way it was designed, no flex. Or maybe Pete intended on leaving the legs to float in the slot in F5? The way the legs are designed they are too short for that, a good fore/aft movement would disengage the leg from the slot. Still noodling on that one....
I might use stiffer wire and leave the legs free to move in the slot. Complicating that idea is the gear leg to fuselage fillet. Since that part of the fuselage will be white, maybe a silicone caulk fillet?
Aug 12, 2019, 10:07 AM
realising this is your Current project.
Just looked at your posted Rake plan... comparing it to at my geriatric SIG Monocoupe (Still available as a 20$ Kit)..
Frankly the sig is a whole level more sophisticated model.. everywhere. (No disrespect to the late mr Rake intended)
Also 45 grams, covered / painted /detailed a couple of tissue tears included.
Empty weight however, as Avionics were repurposed a few years back .
Might be useful to study previous works
Aug 12, 2019, 10:26 AM
Big gov never Works
How about a more standard one piece wire in the strut LE, with the spreader not being the axle, but soldered to the main wire strut? I have done the silicone route before. It works for a little flex. The problem was getting paint to stick to the silicone. Or maybe hinge the top of the wood strut?

Fuzz

Quick Reply