Aug 10, 2019, 03:31 PM
Thread OP
Question

Beginner heli with main and tail brushless motor

After years out of hobby, I'm back and I'm considering restarting with some heli.
I plan to make muscle memory slowly with an indoors heli.
But I've some idea of technolgy and I wanted to avoid brushed motor (core motor).

Do I've any chance to get an small heli with:
  • brushless main and tal motors
  • servos, gyro, escs, all included
  • ... and BNF
Thanks for sharing your information.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 11, 2019, 01:55 PM
im sure theres plenty of chances out there .. i have an old model a 'walkera D100D03' that fits your requirements exactly .. not real familiar with current models but im sure Blade helis has something ...
Aug 11, 2019, 05:52 PM
Blade 230s V2. Brushless both ends, has rescue, and stability until the rust wears off.
Aug 11, 2019, 07:40 PM
Hi,

XK K110 +the tail brushless conversion; the performance of its 6-axis gyro is the best among all the micro helicopters. The conversion is not so easy but well worth it. Parts are cheap.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-gyro-receiver

Another candidate is Horizon hobby's Blade 150 S:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/blade-1...ator1_07182019

They say that this has a new 6-axis gyro and brushless main and tail motors.
Last edited by K2-tokyo; Aug 11, 2019 at 07:50 PM.
Aug 11, 2019, 09:51 PM

Beginner heli with main and tail brushless motor

If you really need a DBL heli as beginner trainer...K110 with brushless tail conversion may be your best bet. 150s is larger and maybe less crash resilient.

Parts may be an issue for K110 depends on online shop you’re using and shipping time. You need to think ahead for your parts stockpiling. Forum should already have brunch of suggestions to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aug 12, 2019, 09:04 AM
Thread OP
Thank you for your contributions.
The complexity of the transformation of the XK K110 +, refrains me in considering its realization.
Because the output of the tail servo is non-standard, it is very complicated to move from a DC-ESC to a brushless ESC: new gyro, second receiver, ESC firmware mod....
Too much for the beginning ,althout could be a very entretaining mod, for sure.
To start in this field, I think it is more prudent to consider a BNF solution.
I'll consider Blade 230 S V2 as candidate.
Thanks a gain.
Aug 13, 2019, 02:24 AM
Quote:
I plan to make muscle memory slowly with an indoors heli.
Quote:
I'll consider Blade 230 S V2 as candidate.
Perhaps you changed your thinking about an indoors heli.
The 230 S is not in that category, not even close or debatable.
It does look to be one of the best off the shelf models in its size class, going by all I've read on it, at least. I would gladly have one, if I needed it.
But, it's unsuitable for indoors, unless it's turned off.
In wanting a brushless main and tail, it is restricting your options.
Brushed motors can give good service if treated accordingly and there are plenty who have attested to that over the years. Higher chance of other parts breaking before a brushed motor fails.
Anyway, I don't try to convince anyone about particular hardware, just to mention that your requirements list is unnecessarily limiting.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
Aug 13, 2019, 10:08 AM
Not sure what is so horrible about brushed motors.
Aug 13, 2019, 04:37 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawnik
Not sure what is so horrible about brushed motors.
Eficiency, life in service, battery consumption, slow response over the time, brush wear...
I know that "all brushless" may seem incompatible with a beginners start, but I feel confident to be able to smooth the reactions with a conservative transmitter programming configuration.
Aug 14, 2019, 10:30 AM
Dunno, I've flown helis with brushed and brushless motors. The brushed motors work fine for their purposes. Yes, they do need to be replaced from time to time, but doing so is not a huge big deal.

Anyway, good luck with the search.
Aug 14, 2019, 06:59 PM
I would recommend a brushed blade nano. Too bad they don't make a brushless version. I own a blade 130 which is brushless but I wouldn't recommend it. You have to remove the canopy to change the battery and expose the unprotected circuits and microchips which you will eventually touch and fry rendering the model useless in under 5 flights.
Aug 14, 2019, 07:31 PM
Slow response is incorrect. Brushless are slower in acceleration.
Either way, as a beginner you'll break so many other things that the motors will be the least of your costs and worries.
Aug 14, 2019, 07:35 PM
Anyway, blade has the 130s, the 150 and 230s all full brushless.
Aug 15, 2019, 03:20 PM
The Other Side of Your Screen
I will say .... not too much brushless out there I would fly indoors ..... at least not unless it is a larger than a house indoor arena .... and I have many.

The 230 S V2 is a great one to dust off your skills, I love mine, but it is too big for indoor flying.

For indoors the Blade nano S2 .... brushed but it flies great indoors and outdoors - I like mine after some fixes.

The 130S .... mine is more of a hate, spend money, and hate some more relationship ..... she is too pretty to pound into a wall but too unreliable to consider flying even in a large indoor area. But I started with it in used but very good shape.

The Brushed Nano's are the only ones I fly indoors except for some similar sized Fix Pitch birds. Hear is my three pack ... all the others HERE.

Quick Reply