This thread is privately moderated by slomofoe, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 10, 2019, 02:35 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

build crash and repeat

Long time building balsa models.
I think the first was purchased at the science center in Toronto as a kid. The school i was in had a trip, and the main exhibit was aeronautics. From first flight to the moon. Needless to say i was hooked.
I got a model at the gift store on the way out. I think i paid 10$ and it wasn't the same kits you get today. No lazer cutout balsa, it was in sheets of balsa with the pattern printed on it. every piece had to be cut and fine sanded to shape. We didn't have the shrink plastic wraps to cover the plane, it was paper and dope to stiffen and shrink the paper, the glue now is fantastic, i would pin ans secure everything the glue it and hope it doesn't move again until it was dry.
I seem to have learned a thing or two since those days, but some one can always teach me something new. It's a small mind that closes doors to new ideas. Things i have picked up and taken to a new level; I didn't realize how important the center of gravity was early on, but quickly found out a plane will not fly or flies very poorly without taking that into consideration. The way a wing is built or centered can also play a big part in how well it will fly. A warped wing fly poorly at best. A balanced prop is a sweet thing, out of balance is unsafe and noisy.
Probably the main thing i have learned is not to get attached to a model because eventually it doesn't come down the way you would like. And that's not all about the pilot's skill. I've had a wing beak off in flight from stress, crashes from winds, sun getting in my eyes, engine failure, ect. ect. ..
The point is that we are out there stretching our skills and learning everything we can about life and flying.

Right now I'm working on the giant scale corsair from top flight. I would say it's 70% finished. I'm at the point of build where everything is done but all the surfaces need to work properly. lots of sanding and trial fitting. The tail and ailerons are good, it's the three piece flap system that has me bogged down. iI will try to take some pics and attach them if people are at all interested?
My other planes are the piper bud 60 scale from great planes,( full wing should have built clipped wing). Also the avistar, and mini pulse, foam planes i have the timber stinson and now the opterra that is giving me the most head ache. My next project is the giant scale P-51 mustang from Top flight. Thought some of documenting that build and post it on line?
Recently got hooked on F.P.V. put a set up in the timber, it seemed like a stable platform with lots of lift to accommodate the extra weight, i will add a clip of one of my flights. I hope you enjoy it, i know i did.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply