Aug 10, 2019, 02:30 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Cool

Micro RF-4D Sportavia w/ Cox Pee Wee .020

I grew up loving the Cox .049 Sportavia. Last week, I came across some old FlyFly models Micro RF-4D foam airframes on Value Hobby. These models were designed for electric power but I just had to convert one to glow power...Cox Pee Wee .020 style!

A few modifications were required, including adding dihedral to the wing and installing a plywood firewall. To keep the model light, I went with rudder and elevator only.

Flew the maiden and three more flight this morning. Engine ran for roughly 90 seconds and the model even rode a few thermals, though the glide is not great out of lift. I may add inboard flap tabs.

Time for paint and a micro pilot. Fun little plane!
to remove ads between posts
Aug 10, 2019, 03:37 PM
Nice plane.

Does the glow fuel not affect certain types of foam?
Aug 10, 2019, 03:51 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawf56
Nice plane.

Does the glow fuel not affect certain types of foam?
Not this EPO foam. I'll clean the airframe with Isopropyl alcohol, then apply one coat of Polyacrylic and one coat of Rustoleum enamel. Works great!
Aug 13, 2019, 07:02 PM
Very cool
Aug 13, 2019, 08:53 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Thank you, my friend! I grew up dreaming of owning a Cox .049 Sportavia, so when I saw this little foamy, I just had to give it a try...with glow power.
Sep 05, 2019, 07:04 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplaneguy
Thank you, my friend! I grew up dreaming of owning a Cox .049 Sportavia, so when I saw this little foamy, I just had to give it a try...with glow power.
You might remember that we had a minor midair a couple of years back at SMALL. I donít remember what you were flying, but my micro electric RF-4 like yours here still has a couple of your prop marks on display....

I like the RF-4, but the two seat RF-5 Sportavia is by far my favorite of that series. The RF-5B with the cut down turtleneck ruined the looks of a beautifully designed aircraft, in my opinion.
Latest blog entry: RC events for 2019!
Sep 05, 2019, 10:27 PM

Micro Sportavia

I too have a very soft spot for the Cox Sportavia. I still have a couple of the revised versions that we created to re-release the model. Sadly that never transpired. Great fliers, with a couple nice updates compared to the Kyosho versions.

Your mini one is cute! Love the 0.020 size of things.

Scott
Sep 05, 2019, 10:59 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B
You might remember that we had a minor midair a couple of years back at SMALL. I donít remember what you were flying, but my micro electric RF-4 like yours here still has a couple of your prop marks on display....

I like the RF-4, but the two seat RF-5 Sportavia is by far my favorite of that series. The RF-5B with the cut down turtleneck ruined the looks of a beautifully designed aircraft, in my opinion.
I don't remember what I was flying either. I turned 50 today, so I except more memory loss in the coming years.

I agree, RF-5 is my favorite as well, though with a transparent blue canopy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winans
I too have a very soft spot for the Cox Sportavia. I still have a couple of the revised versions that we created to re-release the model. Sadly that never transpired. Great fliers, with a couple nice updates compared to the Kyosho versions.

Your mini one is cute! Love the 0.020 size of things.

Scott
Scott - I remember hearing a rumor about a revised Sportavia many years ago and was praying it would be released. If you ever decided to part with a revised Sportavia, please keep me in mind.

Thanks for your kind words. This little Sportavia is fun! I'm hoping Willy Nillies' produces a RF-5 Sportavia in the future.
Sep 06, 2019, 05:05 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Spent the day restoring this Kyosho Valencia 1800 motor glider. A slight diversion from my other builds but I love classic models and this one needed some immediate attention. It was a good deal but it needed work! The model had all of the original electronics including battery installed and it was indeed a brick from 1988, as I've previous read about this model.

The Valencia 1800 is the electric version and the Patricia 10 is the glow version. I'm thinking about with making this one glow powered with a Pitts style muffler.
Sep 06, 2019, 08:14 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Quote:
Spent the day restoring this Kyosho Valencia 1800 motor glider. A slight diversion from my other builds but I love classic models and this one needed some immediate attention. It was a good deal but it needed work! The model had all of the original electronics including battery installed and it was indeed a brick from 1988, as I've previous read about this model.

The Valencia 1800 is the electric version and the Patricia 10 is the glow version. I'm thinking about with making this one glow powered with a Pitts style muffler.
A great looking pair of models. Always liked those.

Kyosho has done a lot of fantastic small ARFs over the years. The Cox Cessna 182, Cessna 210 and the Sportavia looked better new than many of the foam ARFs from the last 15 years.
Sep 06, 2019, 08:47 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B
Kyosho has done a lot of fantastic small ARFs over the years. The Cox Cessna 182, Cessna 210 and the Sportavia looked better new than many of the foam ARFs from the last 15 years.
I agree!
Sep 06, 2019, 08:49 PM
Super cool! You bringing to small?

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com
Sep 07, 2019, 09:47 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhart1971
Super cool! You bringing to small?

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com
Probably not, shipping it to Arkansas would be more than what I paid for it. I'm saving my pennies now just to ship a bunch of planes from some business called Willy Nillies.

Back to covering today.
Sep 07, 2019, 12:16 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Quote:
Probably not, shipping it to Arkansas would be more than what I paid for it. I'm saving my pennies now just to ship a bunch of planes from some business called Willy Nillies.

Back to covering today.
Just in case you might not be aware of it, I travel with models fairly often and have had great results checking small models on the aircraft with me in one of the fairly inexpensive Plano golf club cases. The latches are a little under designed, but the trick is to add a couple of luggage straps which keeps the case closed.

https://www.rockbottomgolf.com/bags-...YaAhf0EALw_wcB
Sep 07, 2019, 12:29 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Thanks Tom!

I just purchased one.

Quick Reply