Aug 10, 2019, 10:27 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Radio Reliability

So I have used JR9303 then upgraded to JR12x and 1year age spectrum DX18 gen2, I have lost multiple planes do to there protocol. So I am at a crossroads do I buy the Jeti with the 2.4 and 900mghz system or Futaba with there fasssst system. What do you guys think about these radios. Ian
to remove ads between posts
Aug 10, 2019, 10:35 AM
While not necessarily an advocate for Spektrum myself, I would suggest that sometimes losing multiple planes can be caused by setup, including proper power, batteries, switches, as well as antenna placement. In some cases, there are flying fields that seem to have issues which affect some brands more than others.

While I have owned all the brands you mention above (except Jeti due to the US dealer), and would not hesitate to fly any of them, I prefer my FrSky Horus X10S. The ACCST protocol is highly reliable and the default FrOS operating system is easy for me to use. The metal gimbals are excellent and build quality as well. The telemetry is amazing. For what it's worth, the X10S replaced a DX18G2. The DX was more ergonomic but otherwise the X10S was better for me in every way.
Aug 10, 2019, 10:40 AM
I have been using a JR 9303 with the Spektrum DM9 module for several years and I have not lost a single plane. The only failsafe I ave had was with a LemonRx Featherlight rx in a 3D foamy. There is noting unreliable about this radio system if installed correctly with good reliable receivers.
Aug 10, 2019, 12:44 PM
Used Spektrum since coming back into the hobby a good few years ago and started back with the DX6i and haven't had a single issue on any of the Spektrum radios I have gone through over the years.

But, I guess it's not want you want to hear. You need to be using a radio you feel confident in, and whilst not one of your options, I too would take a look at the Frsky systems. Whilst I had some quality issues with their rx's and I haven't had the X10, i have used the X9D plus and the QX7 and was quite happy with it.
Aug 10, 2019, 11:35 PM
I'm curious how you are sure that your crashes were the direct result of failures of Spektrum protocol. I fly at multiple fields and the dominant radio by several magnitudes is Spektrum. That certainly would not be the case if protocol was flawed.
Last edited by koppterX; Aug 10, 2019 at 11:41 PM.
Aug 11, 2019, 12:35 AM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Another "I use Spektrum and have never lost a plane". I've been flying Spektrum for at least a decade, starting with a DX6i. Planes from micro to quarter scale, helis from micro to 600 sized, trikes, quads, and hex copters from 65mm to 800mm. Never had a single crash I had any inclination to blame on the radio. Tens of thousands of other Spektrum users have similar experiences.

The way statistics of failure work, for one user to have a lot of issues that are due to the radio, many other users would have to have similar problems as well. One user consistently having problems is an anomaly, and that suggests that the failures are more likely due to some other cause and not the radio.
Aug 11, 2019, 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluffman
So I have used JR9303 then upgraded to JR12x and 1year age spectrum DX18 gen2, I have lost multiple planes do to there protocol. So I am at a crossroads do I buy the Jeti with the 2.4 and 900mghz system or Futaba with there fasssst system. What do you guys think about these radios. Ian
I use Futaba and think its a good choice, I have never used Spektrum but I do hear a lot of complaints from their users. I don't know
many people that use Jeti but I have not heard any complaints. JR is making a comeback and I have not heard anything
bad about their new line either.
Aug 11, 2019, 01:09 AM
Yeah, another Spektrum user. Bought my first DX7 in 2009, and a DX18G2 a few years back, never even a glitch from any of them.

I'm wondering how bluffman narrowed problems down to Spektrum "protocol"... and what he thinks is wrong with it that he's lost several planes. I'd bet there's more to the story here though, I haven't even lost "several" planes in my over 40yrs in this hobby. My 72mhz systems were/are also rock solid.

So what on earth caused the loss of several planes? Since you narrowed it down to Spektrum, what components do you believe failed? Spektrum when combined with their telemetry is very nearly fool proof... when it's set up and used correctly. Honestly it would be a shame to buy all new equipment from someone else, and still have problems.

If you're thinking Jeti, you'd be going from frying pan to the fire though. Those radios are so overpriced and unreliable, that would be a terrible move I think.

A much better move would be study what you have, and figure out what's wrong. Spektrum has so many options for optimizing set-ups, you can configure the components 1000 ways to Sunday and really dial them in... but you need to study it to know.

If you're not into studying, well... buy a different brand and start all over again. Maybe you won't have to study as hard. Good luck with it.
Aug 11, 2019, 02:01 AM
Thread OP
I have owned the dms protocol that spectrum uses since a 9303, I probably have 50 recievers all the way up to the latest ones now that I switched to spectrum dx18, I personally believe I have installed them correctly, when you fly the same plane same setup several weeks in a row, then all of a sudden in flight, the plane is unresponsive, a a few seconds later it responds, i think it’s the radio. When the plane is back on the ground I check voltage then all of my wiring, it’s all good but I was getting glitches. Personally I don’t really want to get rid of my spectrum stuff, just frustrated with it’s performance. Hence the question been doing this for 40years so it’s not my first rodeo. What’s wrong with the Jeti dealer and there radios, I thought there quality was supposed to be the best. Thanks Ian
Aug 11, 2019, 02:15 AM
What rx’s are you running? And what battery packs?

I’m certainly no expert but sound like a possible brown out (power interruption)?

With my dlg rx’s which have been the 6260/6270T and now the ar410, all have been solid in my carbon models with 2.4 noses and been ran on 1s lipo direct. I’m currently on the original DX18 now too after the DX9 and IX12.

I think once when I was trying Frsky I did have a bad pigtail lead that I use to plug my battery in, I’m sure it was giving me some issues, not sure if the lead was damage somehow inside or the red jst on the battery side was on its way out. Obviously I don’t know your set up but might be something to check, like you said, would be a shame to have to completely switch radio brands now your invested and comfortable with the gear.
Aug 11, 2019, 02:23 AM
Guys.......its a Bermuda Triangle........in our field there is an area in the air where all kinds of radio brand have experience lost of control........the area could be a path of Microwave running on the same band of 2.4 ghz............we just avoid that area.
Aug 11, 2019, 02:32 AM
Just curious, which DX18? The first or the one with voice? The voice one did have a bulletin sent out for them to check the range on them and send them if any issues were found.

If you can, might be a good idea to send your radio and a couple of your rx’s in for a check over?
Aug 11, 2019, 03:11 AM
Julian T
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketsled666
The way statistics of failure work, for one user to have a lot of issues that are due to the radio, many other users would have to have similar problems as well. One user consistently having problems is an anomaly, and that suggests that the failures are more likely due to some other cause and not the radio.
No it doesn't, if that individual radio (probably tx as the user has many rxs all presumably with the same problem) had a problem then statistics would have no relevance. It is obvious nonsense to say because you and others have not had a problem this user most likely has a problem unassociated with the radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGrant
If you're thinking Jeti, you'd be going from frying pan to the fire though. Those radios are so overpriced and unreliable, that would be a terrible move I think.

Do you have any statistics to back that claim up?

Post #12 is well worth considering if the OP would prefer to stick with his Spektrum gear.
Aug 11, 2019, 05:27 AM

Jeti unreliable?

Stating that Jeti is over priced and unreliable? Compare the build quality to a Spektrum or even an (overpriced) late model Futaba radio. No comparison whatsoever there, and as for unreliable? My DS16 has been flown for long periods up to 4 days a week in electric power models and slopers as high and far away as you can go and not a single warning or glitch for precisely 4 years now. Where’s your evidence?
Jeti has a big user base in Europe, with their gear almost universally used by large scale people using big gas engines and jets etc. They wouldn’t consider using it if it was known to be unreliable as you assert.
Aug 11, 2019, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluffman
What’s wrong with the Jeti dealer and there radios, I thought there quality was supposed to be the best. Thanks Ian
Jeti has become very popular and seems to be growing in $$$ jets. A close friend in Chicago just switched from JR/Spektrum protocol to it for his Bandit and other expensive jets as have others in that area. He had no issues with DSM2 or DSMX, but needed more functionality. There are threads where people suggest that the Jeti link is bad and/or unreliable, but somehow others are increasingly flying very expensive things on it. I doubt they would do so if the link were proven not very reliable. Jeti is still a fairly small, niche brand, but the external build quality seems excellent.

The dealer - the gentleman who runs Esprit Model, which is the US Importer, has a tendency to jump onto radio threads (especially on FlyingGiants) and bash other brands. He also sells Futaba but for some bizarre reason feels compelled to bash Futaba regularly as well as every other brand. FlyingGiants does not moderate his behavior since he is an advertiser, so he can get away with it. His online behavior has caused a minor revolt against him on FlyingGiants. Apparently if you buy from him he's fine as a retailer on the phone or in person. But his online presence is incredibly arrogant and obnoxious. As a result, I also won't buy a radio from him, or from any of the other dealers in the US, all of whom buy from him as the importer/distributor.
Last edited by RCAddiction; Aug 11, 2019 at 10:05 AM.

Quick Reply